Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How to prepare to move to the US on a H-1B visa?

How to prepare to move to the US on a H-1B visa?

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Bevil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to prepare to move to the US on a H-1B visa?

Hi,

I've recently been granted a H-1B visa at the US embassy in London, and have a couple of questions concerning travel.

Q1. Am I still required to fill in the electronic and paper 1-94 form (visa waiver program) if I hold a valid H-1B visa?

Q2. Do I need to provide additional documents to support my visa at passport control when I land in the USA?

Thank you
Del
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all
Default Re: How to prepare to move to the US on a H-1B visa?

Originally Posted by Bevil
Hi,

I've recently been granted a H-1B visa at the US embassy in London, and have a couple of questions concerning travel.

Q1. Am I still required to fill in the electronic and paper 1-94 form (visa waiver program) if I hold a valid H-1B visa?
No, you are not travelling on the VWP, you are a non-immigrant visa holder. You will need to fill in the WHITE paper I-94 form before presenting yourself to the US immigration officer. They should hand these out on the plane before you land.

Q2. Do I need to provide additional documents to support my visa at passport control when I land in the USA?
In general, no. However, to be on the safe side I would carry a copy of the notice of action that you used to obtain the H1-B visa at the consulate, plus any correspondence confirming your terms of employment in the US.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

CBP have asked to see my I-797 approval notice while entering on H-1B.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Bevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses.

I shall gather relevant documentation including my approval notice.

Thanks agian
Del
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newXgate
You will need to fill in the WHITE paper I-94 form before presenting yourself to the US immigration officer.
And once you get it back stamped, check the dates on it and guard it carefully. The I-94 is what shows your legal presence in the US.