NYC InfoPass / Interim EAD

Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:27 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default NYC InfoPass / Interim EAD

My Infopass appointment to inquire about my AWOL EAD was today.

The appointment was for 11:00AM. Stupidly, I thought all along that it was for 11:30, so spent the morning in a mad rush to get there. I arrived at about 11:20 and was ferried to the Broadway entrance, where everyone with Infopass appointments were being lined up.

The guard examined the appointment sheet, and directed me to room 310.
I saw people.
Lots, and lots of people.
Waiting in line, to just speak to someone.

I counted approximately 250-300 people on line waiting to have their appointment scanned into the system. An hour or so in, and I finally reached the front of the line. The immigration officer scanned my Infopass appointment, gave me a print out, EAD application form, and told me to go up to the 9th floor, and wait for my number to be called.

I filled out the EAD application again (they won't accept photocopies of the form you originally sent in, unless you sign it on the spot there) - I will offer one word of advice: Bring A PEN. They will not provide one.

After waiting in the EAD room for roughly another hour, my number was called. I gave the officer the application, my EAD NOA, and my AOS NOA. He checked the MSC-numbers, then told me to take a seat again and wait for my number to be called. It was 1:30PM.

3:30pm came around, and the pace started to pick up - I and several others were called, herded into a line, and called individually to the front desk. The clerk took my previous expired EAD, took my signature and fingerprint, then told me to take a seat again. 15 minutes later, he called me for the photograph, and 10 minutes after that, I was given the card itself.

Thoughts:
Infopass does not seem to significantly speed up the service within Federal Plaza, in my eyes - specifically the EAD section. I had to do an Interim EAD walkin at NYC in January '03, and it took only an hour longer than what it did today. It does seem a lot more structured and organized though.
They will not let you into the building if you are more than 15 minutes early, though they don't seem to care if you are a little bit late. The appointment does not guarentee that you'll speak to someone at the appointed time, just that you'll be allowed into the building then.

From what I saw, it simply adds an extra layer of bureaucracy to the process of simply trying to speak to a human being, and rigidly controls the subjects you address when you come in, and where you can go. Many immigrants do not have access to a computer, and stores around Fed. Plaza actually charge $10 or more to set up an appointment for them.

The officers in rm310 do not seem prepared to assist you with anything outside of the purpose stated on the Infopass appointment - they process you into the system so fast and do not give you a chance to expalin any other issues you need to address. Also, after I completed my time in the EAD department, I tried to speak to someone on the AOS floor about my application there. I was told bluntly that I would need to make a separate appointment to speak to someone regarding that issue. You're also not allowed back to 310 because the EAD dept takes the InfoPass sheet when they process your EAD. So killing two birds with one stone does not seem to be much of an option at NYC, unless you make two appointments at the outset.

Some of the people there are still pretty rude - generally the lobby guards. One EAD officer did make a repeated habit of raising his voice when somebody's application was denied and loudly stated that fact so everyone could hear; which for the applicants in question must have been understandably humiliating considering it was in ear-shot of over 100 other people.

One thing I noticed with my (c)9 EAD was that it was only for 12/13/04 thru 08/12/2005. 8 months. A curious date range. All my other EADs have been for a year. Unfortunately, I was in the lobby by then, so I'm certain I'd need to make another InfoPass appointment just to find out why it was only for that length of time.

Fingers crossed I will be a P.R by the time it comes around to even thinking of EAD renewal.

Anyway, now I can finally go back to work tommorow! D'Oh!
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NYC InfoPass / Interim EAD

Originally Posted by nathan barley
One thing I noticed with my (c)9 EAD was that it was only for 12/13/04 thru 08/12/2005. 8 months. A curious date range. All my other EADs have been for a year.
Interim EADs are issued for a maximum of 240 days. You got lucky - yours is for 242 days.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:43 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Interim EADs are issued for a maximum of 240 days. You got lucky - yours is for 242 days.
Oh, my original interim from Jan '03 was for 1 year.
Do they still eventually process and send you the main EAD you applied for, or do you have to file again when the interim gets close to running out? If so, that's a pretty good cash cow USCIS has going on - you pay the same amount for 120 fewer days of employment authorization.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, my original interim from Jan '03 was for 1 year.
Do they still eventually process and send you the main EAD you applied for, or do you have to file again when the interim gets close to running out? If so, that's a pretty good cash cow USCIS has going on - you pay the same amount for 120 fewer days of employment authorization.
I think they should eventually process and send you the main 1-year EAD you applied for. You shouldn't have paid for the interim, right? I thought there was no charge for the interim EAD!

So Nathan, you attemped to renew your 1-year EAD, right? You paid the $175.00. But since it didn't come through in 90 days, now you've gone in and gotten the interim EAD, but didn't pay extra, right?

Sorry, suddenly confused. LOL
Rene
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:00 pm
Corpsicle

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think they should eventually process and send you the main 1-year EAD you applied for. You shouldn't have paid for the interim, right? I thought there was no charge for the interim EAD!

So Nathan, you attemped to renew your 1-year EAD, right? You paid the $175.00. But since it didn't come through in 90 days, now you've gone in and gotten the interim EAD, but didn't pay extra, right?

Sorry, suddenly confused. LOL
Rene
No, I didn't pay for the interim. I wouldn't expect to - I was trying to renew my 1-year EAD and had paid the fee when I originally filed.
I just found it curious they give you fewer days of authorized work for the same price.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Amen - glad you had some success!

No, I didn't pay for the interim. I wouldn't expect to - I was trying to renew my 1-year EAD and had paid the fee when I originally filed.
I just found it curious they give you fewer days of authorized work for the same price.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 4:21 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
How lucky!! When I got mine it was only good for 90 days
Congrats!!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:48 pm
Corpsicle

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
How lucky!! When I got mine it was only good for 90 days
Congrats!!
Exceedingly funny anecdote follows:

2 days after NYC gave me my post-90day interim EAD, MSC approved my original EAD application and mailed out a 1 year card.

The MSC EAD was backdated to the expiration date of my last card

I now have two concurrent EAD cards.