Wikiposts

NYC DMV Success - Yay

Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:39 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default NYC DMV Success - Yay

With the need to start driving creeping up on me, I finally went down to the DMV in manhattan today to try and apply for a learner permit. I know this is a minor tangent from BCIS matters, but I've seen a few posts for people asking about DMV experiences, etc, so I figured I'd share my experience for reference.

The whole process was quick, easy, and surprisingly, the staff were very courteous; a surprise because my wife and M.i.L had told me they could be incredibly nasty and rival INS employees for vitriol After quickly filling out the application form, I was given a service number, and waited a few minutes before being called over to a counter where my application was checked, and ID was requested.

You need 6 points of ID to apply for a license. Now, I'm in the middle of AOS so am a little short on eligible ID, but an EAD with at least another 6 months before expiry (3), your SS card with signature(2), and a credit card(1), health insurance card(1) and marriage certificate(2) provide more than enough ID points to be eligible. Passports with K1 and K3 visas (expired or unexpired) in them are not eligible for ID.

As a new learner, I have to do the full process, written test, etc.
I now know why some NY drivers are best described as 'dangerous'; the written test was ridiculously easy, and I finished it in under two minutes flat, much to the surprise of the woman behind the counter. People who were doing the test when I was queuing to take it were still doing it 5 minutes after I had completed it and got my result back. I got 100% and only read the manual two days before, go figure

After passing the test, you are given another service number, and called to the counter, where you again show your ID, and read the smallest words from the bottom of an eye test chart; very, very easy, as it is only about 10 feet away from you. Your interim permit is printed, you hand over your cash, sign your name and thats it I just have to wait a few weeks for my photo permit to come in the mail.

Wish me luck in facing death on the roads.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:05 am
Shaun Su

Default Re: NYC DMV Success - Yay

Thanks for that Nathan, we're waiting for EAD to arrive in August then we
can proceed with the test for Learner's Permit.

"nathan barley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > You need 6 points of ID to apply for a license. Now, I'm in the middle
    > of AOS so am a little short on eligible ID, but an EAD with at least
    > another 6 months before expiry (3), your SS card with signature(2), and
    > a credit card(1), health insurance card(1) and marriage certificate(2)
    > provide more than enough ID points to be eligible. Passports with K1
    > and K3 visas (expired or unexpired) in them are not eligible for ID.

Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice

congrats for your learner's permit, nathan! i cant say the NC writing test was easy for me, but hey i passed eventhough with few mistakes. they had few questions that you had to know by experience not by reading the manual books.

so, dont forget to post us your driving test experience, i know i will too! friends in this forum has been helping me with those useful tips!

have a nice day
anggraeni
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another question

Nice one - I had a slightly more frustrating experience at the Herald Square DMV when I applied for my NYS non-driver ID, but we won't go into that now!

Here's another question while we're on the subject... I am still using my UK driving licence and I'm wondering how long I can get away with using it.

According to the DMV website, if you are considered 'resident' in New York State, then you need a NYS licence to drive. Apparently a traffic cop will look at your circumstances to decide whether you are 'resident' or not.

However, although I have AOS application pending:
1. I don't own a car, though frequently rent one for work
2. My NYS non driver ID says 'temporary visitor' (b/c my L1 expires next year)

So my question is can I wait until AOS is approved before I have to get a NYS licence, or does the fact I have an application in imply that I am in fact 'resident'.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 5:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nathan barley
..... Your interim permit is printed, you hand over your cash, sign your name and thats it I just have to wait a few weeks for my photo permit to come in the mail.

Wish me luck in facing death on the roads.
You didn't mention your road test, so I assume that you haven't taken it yet (it's embarassingly easy anyway), but you won't get a photo drivers licence until after you have taken the road test (unless something has changed since I got my NY licence at the end of 2001).
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:24 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pulaski
You didn't mention your road test, so I assume that you haven't taken it yet (it's embarassingly easy anyway), but you won't get a photo drivers licence until after you have taken the road test (unless something has changed since I got my NY licence at the end of 2001).
No, I haven't taken the road test yet. I've never driven before, so I'm going to get a few hours driving experience with the wife and mother-in-law first, then see about a driving school or something for some extra tutition. I figure if I'm finally going to learn to drive, I might as well do it properly. With the levels of insanity I see on New York's roads, I'm not going to rush in

Peter Newton: My learners permit says 'Temporary visitor until' then my EAD expiry date also, but the actual license is valid until 2007. I wonder if I'm going to have to get it renewed every time I renew my EAD, which, going by BCIS will be a few more times!

I think that because you have an AOS app in progress, and are working/living in the city, then the DMV would view you as residing as such.

Also, I went to the Battery Park office, very polite and cordial
Old Aug 1st 2003, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

I think that because you have an AOS app in progress, and are working/living in the city, then the DMV would view you as residing as such.
You're probably right - it would be seen as intent...