Nyc Aos

Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Amadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really nice
Default Finally NYC AOS interview is scheduled

Well, I guess miracles do happen. Even in NYC DO.

I just opened my mailbox to find a letter from the USCIS stating that my interview is scheduled for May 10, 2005. It will be a few days shy of my 33rd month of waiting. Do I hold the record?

I am relieved and even more bitter. Over 3 more months of waiting!!!!!! Geeez.. will it ever be over?!

I have a question... will my son's case be adjudicated then automatically or should his file not be there at the time of our interview - would it delay his approval? Should I try to make sure via congressional representative that his case is transferred to NYC too?

Last edited by Amadeus; Feb 8th 2005 at 12:32 am.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Osric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finally NYC AOS interview is scheduled

Originally Posted by Amadeus

I just opened my mailbox to find a letter from the USCIS stating that my interview is scheduled for May 10, 2005. It will be a few days shy of my 33rd month of waiting. Do I hold the record?

I have you beat :/ Just got my notice today.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Sphearalin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Finally NYC AOS interview is scheduled

I received mines 1/25/05 and the appointment if for 03/22/05.

For us everything is going pretty fast so far.
Married 10/13/04
Lawyer filled paperwork 11/03/04
I-130 - rd: 11/16/04 - notice date: 12/02/04
I-485 - rd: 11/16/04 - notice date: 12/02/04
I-765 - rd: 11/16/04 - notice date: 12/02/04
Biometrics/Fingerprinting: 01/14/05
Medical: 02/07/05
AOS notice received on 1/25/05: Interview scheduled for 03/22/05

§phearalin
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sphearalin
I received mines 1/25/05 and the appointment if for 03/22/05.

For us everything is going pretty fast so far.
Married 10/13/04
Lawyer filled paperwork 11/03/04
I-130 - rd: 11/16/04 - notice date: 12/02/04
I-485 - rd: 11/16/04 - notice date: 12/02/04
I-765 - rd: 11/16/04 - notice date: 12/02/04
Biometrics/Fingerprinting: 01/14/05
Medical: 02/07/05
AOS notice received on 1/25/05: Interview scheduled for 03/22/05

§phearalin

Nice timeline but unrealistic as you filed in 2004 with an interview within 6 months. You were lucky to get in under the wire on the pilot program before it was discontinued on January 27, 2005.

The others are or actually were waiting YEARS for adjudication of their filed AOS. The OP (original poster) for 33 months and the other for 41 months. Don't think they are going to be happy with the inclusion of your quickie adjudication on their thread about long waiting times.

Rete
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Visitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news! I'm sure you can do 3 more months after waiting so long.
But now it seems that the FBI security checks are way behind as well.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

bridgecross will become famous soon enoughbridgecross will become famous soon enough

I am relieved and even more bitter. Over 3 more months of waiting!!!!!! Geeez.. will it ever be over?!

I have a question... will my son's case be adjudicated then automatically or should his file not be there at the time of our interview - would it delay his approval? Should I try to make sure via congressional representative that his case is transferred to NYC too?
Fantastic! We just got our letter last week. I'heart'NY!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Amadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really nice

Originally Posted by Visitor
Good news! I'm sure you can do 3 more months after waiting so long.
But now it seems that the FBI security checks are way behind as well.
Hi, Visitor:

I was told by my congressional rep that the USCIS confirmed to them that all my security checks had cleared long time ago. I hope that's the case...

Interestingly enough, my case status online hasn't changed since Aug when I had biometrics done. And even then, only update date changed but the note didn't.. it still says that "the last correspondence was returned as undeliverable on April 5, 2004, blah-blah-blah"...

You'll get your appointment soon, too. Looking at recent timelines, I have come to the conclusion (could be wrong) that USCIS "kept" Feb-Mar-Apr to finish up with pilot program applicants and began to schedule us, oldies, from May forward... So your case should be coming through soon, too.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cookie Munster is on a distinguished road

Amadeus, I am sorry that you had to wait so long to get an interview. 33 months is just reasonable. Makes some of our security check wait sound like a walk in the park.

Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:08 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cookie Munster
Amadeus, I am sorry that you had to wait so long to get an interview. 33 months is just reasonable. Makes some of our security check wait sound like a walk in the park.
Congrats on getting your notices!

I think it's been about 29 months for us so far, and no word as of yet. I hope it's soon.

We figured we might as well start getting ready now for the interview. What exactly do you need to bring to the interview? Is there a definitive list?

A few things I can think of:
Affidavit of support
Pics of us on vacation, etc.
Wedding photos, etc.
Employer/family & friend statements
Joint account statements
Investment beneficiary info
Insurance beneficiary info
Joint tax return info

We don't have joint checking accounts or utilities, because most utilities won't add both of us and I had no credit to be added without incurring charges. We do have joint savings, and each other named as our investment & life insurance beneficiaries, and so on.

Also, can I just schedule the medical appointment myself, or do I have to wait for USCIS to prompt me?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathan barley
Congrats on getting your notices!

A few things I can think of:
Affidavit of support
Pics of us on vacation, etc.
Wedding photos, etc.
Employer/family & friend statements
Joint account statements
Investment beneficiary info
Insurance beneficiary info
Joint tax return info
Family and friend statements are secondary evidence and completely unneccesary if you have proof of the commingling of your lives from a social and financial viewpoint.

The employer letter is a must for NYC, at least it was asked for in the list they sent us, and the letter was to contain information regarding marital status claimed, beneficiary information on various employer offered benefits, i.e. health, 401K, life insurance, and who is listed as emergency contact. Information regarding salary was not a required item along if they are willing to insert it the letter than can be used as well for the I-864.

We don't have joint checking accounts or utilities, because most utilities won't add both of us and I had no credit to be added without incurring charges. We do have joint savings, and each other named as our investment & life insurance beneficiaries, and so on.
Been there and done that and survived and succeeded with 26 Fed Plaza on the single name on lease and utilities. Mrs. Marshall had no problem with either of those single name documents single because as she said: I'm a New Yorker and know how difficult it is to get a change of name from public utilizes. Our management company conceded and placed Jim's name on the renewal lease but would not include his name on the report to New York State Housing Authority.

I don't understand your take on not having a joint checking account as you work and earn a salary which I'm sure is used to pay household expenses. Nor do I understand your statement taht you have no credit to be added without incurring charges. What charges? Interest rate charges from credit cards? You must have at least one in the household, why can't you be a joint holder of the card?

Also, can I just schedule the medical appointment myself, or do I have to wait for USCIS to prompt me?
The medical is solely your responsibility. It is not like doing a K-1 or I-130 from London where Dr. Phelan's appointment is made for you for the day of your interview at the US Consulate. In the US you are responsible for finding the appropriate doctor and making the appointment.

From the list that was discussed in my immigration class last night these are a few of the items the atty/professor recommended:

1. Photos of holidays, vacations, the wedding, honeymoon, and be sure to include photos that have family and friends in them with you.

2. Documents where spouses are beneficiary to benefits, i.e. health, dental, life, IRA/retirement, savings, 401K.

3. Leases, deeds, mortgages, car registration, auto insurance

4. Jointly addressed mail; holiday cards, anniversary cards

5. Joint membership is various clubs and/or organizations, i.e. Costco, Sam's Club, boat clubs, political organizations, Knights of Columbus, Green Peace, Sierra Nevada Club

6. Financial accounts, TAX RETURNS showing you filed married, joint. Claimed you would be asked why you didn't file married, joint if you filed married separate. I disagreed with that but that was her take on it.

And remember, if you entered the US under the age of 26, your selective service registration which will be needed for naturalization down the line
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:08 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't understand your take on not having a joint checking account as you work and earn a salary which I'm sure is used to pay household expenses. Nor do I understand your statement taht you have no credit to be added without incurring charges. What charges? Interest rate charges from credit cards? You must have at least one in the household, why can't you be a joint holder of the card?
Thanks Rete,

What I meant by charges was the possibility of being asked for a security deposit or something in order for me to be added to some of our utilities, because I had no credit rating. When my wife first got her electricity hooked up, she had to pay a hefty charge.

We don't have joint checking because we never saw the need: I give my wife cash out of each paycheck, which she puts towards bills, and we both put money into our joint savings.

We have no joint CC's because
A: My wife filed for bankrupcy last year
B: I had no credit rating and could not get approved by anyone in the US.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by nathan barley
Thanks Rete,

What I meant by charges was the possibility of being asked for a security deposit or something in order for me to be added to some of our utilities, because I had no credit rating. When my wife first got her electricity hooked up, she had to pay a hefty charge.
Normally they would not if she has had the utilities in her name for over a year and have already returned the deposit or applied it to one of the monthly bills, which is usually how the utilities in NYC handle it. Con Ed didn't require a deposit when I asked about having Jim's name placed on the bill but then they turned around and told me they would be taking mine off as you could only have one name on the bill. So we left it with only my name. The same with our phone bill which was Bell back then.

We don't have joint checking because we never saw the need: I give my wife cash out of each paycheck, which she puts towards bills, and we both put money into our joint savings.

We have no joint CC's because
A: My wife filed for bankrupcy last year
B: I had no credit rating and could not get approved by anyone in the US.
We have direct deposit so both checks go into a joint checking account and then we transfer to our separate savings. You have to handle it whichever way is best for you.

Have you attempted to get any credit yet? You've been here for over a year and working so you should not have a problem getting a starter card in your name only, i.e. a store charge, gas card, etc.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:49 am
Corpsicle

Originally Posted by Rete
Have you attempted to get any credit yet? You've been here for over a year and working so you should not have a problem getting a starter card in your name only, i.e. a store charge, gas card, etc.
Yes, I got accepted for a BoA card not too long ago. For obvious reasons mentioned earlier, I kept it in my name only and am trying to keep my wife away from it