Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

NY governor linked to prostitution ring

NY governor linked to prostitution ring

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NY governor linked to prostitution ring

Originally Posted by Bill_S
As governor (and attorney general!) he took oaths to uphold the laws of the state. Prostitution is clearly illegal in New York. For the state's leading politician and former top law enforcement official to be regularly patronizing a criminal enterprise is far more significant than getting a bit on the side. If he'd taken a mistress instead, there would be outrage but he probably could have kept his job.
OK. I haven't been following the case. I was unaware that prostitution was illegal. (It's legal where I'm from.....I forget that it's not the same case everywhere.)
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

I am always perplexed when people ask why a man who seemingly has it all would risk it all to cheat? Simple answer because he can...

I no longer judge who is capable of "right" or "wrong" the truth is almost anyone is capable of anything!

I feel bad for his daughters and his wife but in all honesty, his house is not going to be a pleasant place anytime soon so I guess he is paying for it one way or another
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:08 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

As governor (and attorney general!) he took oaths to uphold the laws of the state. Prostitution is clearly illegal in New York. For the state's leading politician and former top law enforcement official to be regularly patronizing a criminal enterprise is far more significant than getting a bit on the side. If he'd taken a mistress instead, there would be outrage but he probably could have kept his job.
I agree entirely: if he used prostitutes throughout his career while prosecuting others for the same offense, that's hypocritical. As governor, he was in a position where if he believed that the prohibition of prostitution was pointless or unworkable, then he was morally obliged to call for a change in the law, and was in a position to put it though.

This is also the point about the Tories under Major: if they hadn't been politically bankrupt and started banging on about back to basics/family values/screeching anti-gay propaganda on Section 28, then the stories that so many of them were shagging people other than their spouses would never had such "legs".

That Daily Mail article is laughable, though: "From my investigations, it is clear that in Washington, in particular of all American cities, the sex trade is booming. This, after all, is not known as a mob town, so madams are not afraid of running into tough men wanting to steal their business."

DC might not be associated with the (Italian) mafia, but it's well-known as a violent place with lots of crime and corruption!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
OK. I haven't been following the case. I was unaware that prostitution was illegal. (It's legal where I'm from.....I forget that it's not the same case everywhere.)
Yup, prostitution is contrary to Section 230 of the New York Consolidated Penal Code.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:35 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MademoiselleMtl
I am always perplexed when people ask why a man who seemingly has it all would risk it all to cheat? Simple answer because he can...

I no longer judge who is capable of "right" or "wrong" the truth is almost anyone is capable of anything!

I feel bad for his daughters and his wife but in all honesty, his house is not going to be a pleasant place anytime soon so I guess he is paying for it one way or another
His wife may be standing by his side right now but that marriage is SO over!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
His wife may be standing by his side right now but that marriage is SO over!
You mean it is will remain as a marriage in name only?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, prostitution is contrary to Section 230 of the New York Consolidated Penal Code.
Actually it's even worse for him because the girl traveled from NY to DC which brings the Feds into the picture, and they take a dim view of that particular form of "interstate commerce" ...