British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   notice of termination of conditional resident status (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/notice-termination-conditional-resident-status-477569/)

klinus Aug 29th 2007 4:22 am

notice of termination of conditional resident status

what are the next steps and timeline after this notice(CPR was terminated because of non-filing)?

wildestkabs Aug 29th 2007 5:36 am

Re: notice of termination of conditional resident status

If you had simply missed your deadline and not received any notification from USCIS about the termination of your status, I would have probably suggested that you go ahead and file immediately, with an explanation of why you were late and hope that they accept it.

But in your case, since they have already terminated your status, as far as I know, I don't think it can be reinstated by merely filing the form. Nonetheless, the first step from hereon would be to talk to an attorney.

Why did you not file?

Elvira Aug 29th 2007 5:41 am

Originally Posted by klinus (Post 5247322)
what are the next steps and timeline after this notice(CPR was terminated because of non-filing)?

start AOS again.......... from the beginning...

HunterGreen Aug 29th 2007 12:39 pm

Just curious when you were supposed to have filed? (What's the expiration date of your 2 yr. card?)

I filed shortly before the expiration of our 2 yr. cards, but received it back a few days ago (due to 'the wrong fee' and 'the wrong rev. date of the form'), and our cards have already expired. So as far as they're concerned right now I am late in filing (I did mail all the corrected things out yesterday though).

So I'm kind of nervously interested to know how fast they are in sending these notices out.

I'm sorry you're in this situation and I hope it will get worked out. Don't have any advice to offer unfortunately, but good luck!

Elaine

Ray Aug 29th 2007 12:45 pm

Read back people ..this is more a custody case ...

HunterGreen Aug 29th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5248528)
Read back people ..this is more a custody case ...

Dear Mr. Ray,

In light of my earlier post on this thread, and after carefully re-reading his wording, I kindly ask if you would mind elaborating on that?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Elaine

Ray Aug 29th 2007 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by HunterGreen (Post 5248545)
Dear Mr. Ray,
In light of my earlier post on this thread, and after carefully re-reading his wording, I kindly ask if you would mind elaborating on that?
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Elaine

Morning Elaine
If you read back on previous postings from the OP
This is more about who keeps custody of a child ...

HunterGreen Aug 29th 2007 1:01 pm

Oh previous postings, sorry. I'm not all there yet today. Thanks, I'll go and look for them.

Morning to you too. :)

HunterGreen Aug 29th 2007 1:09 pm

I went over the previous posts but that doesn't change my question though.

Klinus, I'd still like to know what date the card expired (I've read it was in July, but when in July)?

Thanks!

E :)

Noorah101 Aug 29th 2007 3:12 pm

The next steps depend on what you want to happen next. If you want to remain in-status, then you probably need to consult with an immigration attorney to see best how to get back in status. Not sure if re-filing AOS will work in this case, or if you will eventually need to go before an immigration judge to plead your case.

If you don't want to get back in status, you can remain in the USA out of status until something happens or someone catches you and you get put up for deportation. I don't think someone comes knocking on your door right away looking for you.

Timeline for what?

Rene
p.s. - I said "you" in my answer, but I think this actually applies to your wife/ex-wife, right?

Noorah101 Aug 29th 2007 3:14 pm

Of course another option is simply leaving the USA. Again, the answer to your question depends on the outcome you wish to get.

Rene

klinus Aug 29th 2007 5:13 pm

What I want is irrelevant. The question is, failing any action (like getting an immigration attorney), what are the likely outcomes for her?
The final custody decision, due in early September, will depends largely on her being able to provide, among other things, proof of legal residency in the US (she is claiming that she is a "legal resident of the USA" even though her CPR status expired early July).Its shared custody if that is proven.
In her eagerness to get sole custody she took her eye off the ball.

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 5249128)
Of course another option is simply leaving the USA. Again, the answer to your question depends on the outcome you wish to get.

Rene

ian-mstm Aug 29th 2007 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by klinus (Post 5249594)
The question is, failing any action (like getting an immigration attorney), what are the likely outcomes for her?

Okay, I'll play! If she does nothing, she will likely fail to demonstrate that she is a legal resident. If custody depends on that single item *only*, she will likely not get custody.

The court, however, can not rule on a situation beyond its jurisdiction (read = federal immigration law). The court also is neither stupid nor cruel (well... depending on your POV) and so will likely defer judgement until after her immigration status is resolved.

Ian

Noorah101 Aug 29th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 5249688)
Okay, I'll play! If she does nothing, she will likely fail to demonstrate that she is a legal resident. If custody depends on that single item *only*, she will likely not get custody.

The court, however, can not rule on a situation beyond its jurisdiction (read = federal immigration law). The court also is neither stupid nor cruel (well... depending on your POV) and so will likely defer judgement until after her immigration status is resolved.

Ian

I agree with Ian.

Rene

DMKH Aug 29th 2007 5:58 pm

I hope it all works out for you.

Please forgive my lack of practical advice/suggestions on this one - just registered and this is the fledgling flight.

The sentiment is real though!

Great site.