Notary

Old Nov 18th 2002, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice
Default Notary

Can anyone tell me exactly WHO can notarise an "affidavid of support"
Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2002, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

A notary public is how I did it, I was lucky I work at a large corporation and we have someone here on staff that is one, also it was free. Just look in your phonebook under notary public.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Notary

Originally posted by northspoon
Can anyone tell me exactly WHO can notarise an "affidavid of support"
Thanks
I think it must be a US notary - if you are outside the US you might try the nearest US embassy or consulate.(remember to take photo-ID with you though).
Old Nov 18th 2002, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

but what exactly is a "notary public"?
Old Nov 18th 2002, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point

but what exactly is a "notary public"?
someone permitted to notorize....
Old Nov 18th 2002, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

gee,,,thats helpful
Old Nov 18th 2002, 11:05 pm

photodude416 is an unknown quantity at this point

They told the truth. By definition, a Notary Public is a person authorized by the state to notarize certain documents.

And now the long version:

NOTARY PUBLIC - A notary public is a public official who, depending on the state, has the power to acknowledge signatures, administer oaths and affirmations, take depositions and issue subpoenas in lawsuits. Notaries public are most commonly used to acknowledge signatures, especially on court papers such as affidavits.

Although notaries public are public officials, most are people who work in private industry and take a state-administered test to become notaries public. Often, one or more employees of large institutions which process much paperwork (such as banks, insurance companies and real estate brokers) and large law offices are notaries public. Also, many people who work at courthouses are notaries public.

gee,,,thats helpful
Old Nov 18th 2002, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you in the US? if you are look in the phone book and it will list several local places that will notorize documents. I think the going rate is 10.00 per document. Remember to bring a photo I.D. when you go there because they will need to see your I.D. then they will watch you sign the document.
I think it's so you can't say you were forced to sign later on.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aliluv; Nov 18th 2002 at 11:35 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default thanks

thank you aliluv and others
Old Nov 19th 2002, 1:06 am
Kirk

Default Re: Notary

"Aliluv" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Are you in the US? I think the going
    > rate is 10.00 per document.

$10! Usually it's $2.00. But, your bank will usually do it for free.

Old Nov 19th 2002, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: thanks

Hi,
Bank Managers are a good source.
Another possibility is whoever files your tax returns.
My sister-in-law works for a tax accountant and her "boss"
was a notary.
Old Nov 19th 2002, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Roger
Old Nov 19th 2002, 4:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Have also run across notaries in real estate offices........
Old Nov 19th 2002, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Public Libraries almost always have a Notary on staff. Frankly the requirement of a Notary is outdated and stupid. I have to use them all the time in my profession and they are guaranteeing nothing of value IMO.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 19th 2002, 6:51 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by photodude416 NOTARY PUBLIC - A notary public is a public official who, depending on the state, has the power to acknowledge signatures, administer oaths and affirmations, take depositions and issue subpoenas in lawsuits. Notaries public are most commonly used to acknowledge signatures, especially on court papers such as affidavits.
Actually, you do not have to be a "public official" to become a notary. My mother became a notary public years ago (although I think her commission has expired since then). I don't know what her reasons were for becoming one, but at least in the Commonwealth of Virginia, it seems pretty easy to become one. You just need to be at least 18 years old, live or work in VA, read and write in English, and have no felony convictions. You pay an application fee, appear in court once your application is approved, pay another fee and you're set. The only other thing I can recall about my mother's notary status is that she couldn't notarize for any family members, due to the conflict of interest.

In any case, there are notaries ALL over the place -- speaking of the US, anyway. Banks, government offices, universities, accounting firms, law firms. When I need something notarized, I go to the local Mail Boxes, Etc. shop down the street. It costs $2.00 per notarization.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.