Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

Perhaps we should go to an official source, although it is not totally helpful!
It gives suggested "magic language" and says that the instructions do not say explicitly that it must be notarized, but usually is.

https://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/154965.htm
Old Apr 25th 2019, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'll go ahead and get it notarized to be on the cautious side and avoid any potential issue or delay at the interview!
Old Apr 25th 2019, 12:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they have tightened the rules in the last year (which we probably would have heard about) I don't think you will have any problems. The magic language has been around for a long time, and it's never had to be notarized.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not really - she didn't say she added the "magic language", maybe she implied she had, but I am not sure. All I said was that adding that wording doesn't mean much unless your declaration/oath is notarized.

From what Noorah said, it doesn't sound like it is much of an issue either way.
Yes, Rene did her own translation and used the magic language.

You can use a notary if you wish. But it has never been a necessity. A notary verifies that you are the person before me who you claim to be and they can only verify the translation as a true translation if they are seeing the original and can translate it themselves.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
….. A notary verifies that you are the person before me who you claim to be and they can only verify the translation as a true translation if they are seeing the original and can translate it themselves.
Which is pretty much what I said in post #4.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is pretty much what I said in post #4.
But mine is from a former notary, myself ... so there
Old Apr 28th 2019, 1:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I know that french birth certificatates are only valid for 3 months. I have to request a new one everytime we are doing anything official for my daughter. Don't know about french marriage certificates though. I thought they all used the livret de famille.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to come back and confirm on this, my wife done the translation herself and included the statement from: https://www.state.gov/family-liaison...d-information/

The agent at the embassy barely looked at the translation or indeed the original. A quick glance and handed it back and it was not included in the pack to then present at the interview.