Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

Old Apr 24th 2019, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

I am preparing the required documentation for me (L-1A) and my wifes (L-2) embassy appointment in London next month and one of the documents required is our original marriage certificate. We got married in France so only have it in French right now, so I had a few queries.
----
  1. Can my wife (native French) provide the translation and declare it using the "magic language"? The immigration lawyer advised yes.
  2. Assuming #1 is correct, does she literally just create a copy as a Word document in the same format as original but add at the very bottom the "magic language" then print and sign it?
  3. Does the translation need to be notarized? The immigration lawyer advised yes.
  4. Assuming #3 is correct, how exactly would we go about this? As it is in French I assume it's not something the UK or US embassies will help with, and the French embassy do not notarize at all apparently. So will it need to be a Notary that is fluent in French?
  5. I'm a bit confused about what the Notary will notarize if my wife translates. They would add their stamp on the same document as my wife's translated version?
Thanks!

Last edited by Tino; Apr 24th 2019 at 5:31 pm. Reason: formatting of list
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notarized translation of marriage certificate for L-2

What's that mean,'magic language'?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Generally a notary is formally verifying and/or confirming an identity, qualification, document/ copy, or signature, so I am no sure what the notary would be doing, what form or verification or confirmation they would be providing, by notarizing a translation - unless it was to verify/ confirm the credentials of the person who had prepared the translation.

Just adding a notary's stamp and signature to a document doesn't per se add any value, and I doubt a notary would do that.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2019 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Search the marriage based forum for that phrase, you'll see what it means.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:20 pm

I translated my foreign husband's documents and did not get anything notarized. It was all accepted by USCIS.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on <date>."
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on <date>."
Which is not of much value, unless done in front of a notary.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is not of much value, unless done in front of a notary.
This seems to contradict Rene's replies
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tino
This seems to contradict Rene's replies
Not really - she didn't say she added the "magic language", maybe she implied she had, but I am not sure. All I said was that adding that wording doesn't mean much unless your declaration/oath is notarized.

From what Noorah said, it doesn't sound like it is much of an issue either way.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

I see. I was basing it on previous comments here, for example:

German Police Certificate
Old Apr 25th 2019, 6:31 am

Yes, I used the magic language as referred to in the link posted.

A notary doesn't give any credibility to the contents of the document or the translator's capability, so notarization here means nothing, and is not required.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, I used the magic language as referred to in the link posted.

A notary doesn't give any credibility to the contents of the document or the translator's capability, so notarization here means nothing, and is not required.

Rene
The notary would have been notarizing your oath, not the translation, same as a Commissioner of Oaths would do.* Apparently USCIS didn't care about that though in your case.

* On attending an interview as part of the immigration or naturalization process, you are initially asked by the USCIS officer to swear the same declaration , and that (swearing that in front of the USCIS officer) serves the same purpose as swearing it remotely in front of a Notary or Commissioner of Oaths.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:16 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Even without being notarized, the magic language still carries legal weight - otherwise why bother? I think the point is that someone has stated, under penalty of perjury, that's it correct. Not that USCIS would pursue someone under that statue, but still.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by civilservant
Even without being notarized, the magic language still carries legal weight - otherwise why bother? I think the point is that someone has stated, under penalty of perjury, that's it correct. Not that USCIS would pursue someone under that statue, but still.
Anyone can swear anything they like. The point is that the Notary or Commissioner of Oaths is a formal, documented witness to the oath being sworn, without the witness there is no case for perjury - no witness, no case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.