Not sure what I need...

Old Jul 29th 2004, 3:07 am
Just Joined

StevePD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure what I need...

My wife is considering taking an assignment with her employer in the US. They will arrange an L1 for her, and would also arrange an L2 for me.

I wish to continue working (remotely - I can basically work over the internet) for my current (UK) employer and I'm not certain (a) what I need to enable me to do this; or (b) the ins and outs of the procedure.

My specific questions are:

1) If I am working for a UK company (with no US registered corporate entity), paid in the UK in exactly the same manner as I do now, do I actually need a work permit (I would guess I do, but just in case :-)

2) If so do I need to apply for an EAD to go with the L2 or are there other routes (reasons I might want to examine other routes are implied by the questions below!)

3) If I need an EAD can I apply for it before I become US resident? If not this seems like a killer since they take about 3 months to come through and I canot afford to take 3 months off work! It may be that I could spend most of my time in the UK during this interim period - are there requirements to remain resident during the application period?

4) Are there entirely different visa routes I should be looking at than L2+EAD? If so what are the possibilities (we can work on the assumption that my employer would be reasonably cooperative provided there were not significant additional costs on them)

Thanks for any help or pointers anyone can give me.

Steve