Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

EmmaW1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

hi, I have just seen something on a much earlier page of this thread about secondary processing once you get to America. What is this? is everyone that is granted a waiver of ineligibility subject to this?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaW1
What is this?
All people who are not immediately allowed to enter the US are sent to "secondary" so that their documents can be examined more closely, and a US immigration officer can ask more in depth questions. Most people who end up in secondary are, ultimately, allowed to enter.

... is everyone that is granted a waiver of ineligibility subject to this?
Are they automatically subject to it? No. Can they be subject to it? Yes.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 6th 2014 at 1:33 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my goodness it makes me wonder whether it is all worth it. What would be the main reasons to be turned down in secondary processing?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the main reasons to be turned down in secondary processing?
There is usually only one reason to be denied entry at secondary - the officer doesn't believe that the visa and waiver are appropriate. Only a USC has the right of entry to the US... everyone else takes their chances. As I said earlier, "Most people who end up in secondary are, ultimately, allowed to enter"... so unless there's a compelling reason to deny entry, I suggest you focus on the 95% of people who are allowed to enter, and not focus on the 5% who are denied entry.

... it makes me wonder whether it is all worth it.
You're the only one who can make that determination.

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

GinGino has a spectacular aura aboutGinGino has a spectacular aura aboutGinGino has a spectacular aura about

Secondary processing was not as bad as we were thinking it could be, nearly gave my mum a heart attack though as I forgot to mention it would happen and she just saw us being led away by the officer!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:55 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

They probably don't want to slow down the queue. Also, the waiver can be revoked at will for things such as additional arrests following waiver issuance so they may check for that.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

When I entered at IAH in 2011, the secondary processing took almost an hour altogether. I had to wait for just over 30 minutes and then answer questions (pretty much the same ones I'd answered at my interview in London) for a little over 20 minutes. I did not have to show any documentation other than my passport. I found it reasonably straightforward and don't think you should be overly worried about it.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All people who are not immediately allowed to enter the US are sent to "secondary" so that their documents can be examined more closely, and a US immigration officer can ask more in depth questions. Most people who end up in secondary are, ultimately, allowed to enter.

Are they automatically subject to it? No. Can they be subject to it? Yes.

Ian
Just to clarify, by 'not immediately allowed' you mean all persons with a waiver of ineligibility?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Just to clarify, by 'not immediately allowed' you mean all persons with a waiver of ineligibility?
Not specifically, no... I wrote what I meant. All people who are "not immediately allowed to enter the US"! If the CBP officer who questions you doesn't admit you, then you'll get sent to secondary... it doesn't matter what the reason. The officer may simply ask you the reason for the waiver and, if satisfied with your response, will stamp your passport and allow you to enter. As I've already written, I don't believe that everyone with a waiver of ineligibility is automatically sent to secondary... but it's certainly a possibility.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 8th 2014 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

GinGino has a spectacular aura aboutGinGino has a spectacular aura aboutGinGino has a spectacular aura about

Someone who was in the waiting room with us was an American citizen who had chopped the end of his finger off !! So he was there to verify his finger prints another couple had a baby with them they had adopted from somewhere like china so it's obviously people who are not straightforward admissions and anyone who warrants further questioning.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

hi guys any update on processing times for waivers? im at week 14, just wondered if it had sped up at all?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

AmericanExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys any update on processing times for waivers? im at week 14, just wondered if it had sped up at all?
Week 19 and still waiting...
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

crash85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, ive had a conviction for stealing in a shop like 500 bucks in Jun 2012, i have my own company i earn more than 35k monthly, many bussiness with several companies in the US, graduated, had tourism multiple visa all my life since i was 2 years about 26 years ago, never had a single conviction in my country, really was just a stupid mistake ive made with some friends thinking it was funny but it was not. I know i need to apply for a waiver if i want to get in the us again and i want to know how many time you think is acceptable to wait for me to apply for a waiver due my situation.

Thanks

Joseph
Old Feb 24th 2014, 11:26 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crash85
Hello everyone, ive had a conviction for stealing in a shop like 500 bucks in Jun 2012, i have my own company i earn more than 35k monthly, many bussiness with several companies in the US, graduated, had tourism multiple visa all my life since i was 2 years about 26 years ago, never had a single conviction in my country, really was just a stupid mistake ive made with some friends thinking it was funny but it was not. I know i need to apply for a waiver if i want to get in the us again and i want to know how many time you think is acceptable to wait for me to apply for a waiver due my situation.

Thanks

Joseph
It's not even certain that a waiver will be required. Where was the conviction? What was the maximum sentence possible for the offense? If you do need a waiver, a June 2012 conviction may be too recent to get a waiver approved at all since they want to see a period of no problems to demonstrate rehabilitation. Some waivers are denied.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

crash85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
It's not even certain that a waiver will be required. Where was the conviction? What was the maximum sentence possible for the offense? If you do need a waiver, a June 2012 conviction may be too recent to get a waiver approved at all since they want to see a period of no problems to demonstrate rehabilitation. Some waivers are denied.
It was in Orlando Florida. I was charged by grand theift 3er degree. I was told i do need a waiver, thats why im asking how Many time should I'll wait to apply for a waiver, how many is the average time to show rehabilitation due to my crime and my current status.

Thanks again

Josheph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.