Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jr1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hi all

I had my appointment at the embassy on 7th march where i was recommended for a waiver. They kept my passport and said they would be In touch and I was told it would be a couple weeks. I require my passport for a trip to Europe on the 16th April. So I’m wondering how long it takes for them to send a passport back to you, with or without the waiver, and if anyone has had to request this before, how do you go about asking them to return it early ? I don’t want to leave it too late for them to send the passport back, but also don’t want to ask them too early in case they suddenly email saying they need it if they’ve already returned to me. Thanks in advance !
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

graham8219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jr1993
Hi all

I had my appointment at the embassy on 7th march where i was recommended for a waiver. They kept my passport and said they would be In touch and I was told it would be a couple weeks. I require my passport for a trip to Europe on the 16th April. So I’m wondering how long it takes for them to send a passport back to you, with or without the waiver, and if anyone has had to request this before, how do you go about asking them to return it early ? I don’t want to leave it too late for them to send the passport back, but also don’t want to ask them too early in case they suddenly email saying they need it if they’ve already returned to me. Thanks in advance !
That's unusual that they kept your passport? Normally they give it to you back and then you get an email asking you to submit your passport.

My interview was on 17th Feb, email was received 2 weeks later, they received my passport for visa issue on 16th March and still not had it back or acknowledged they have it for processing yet.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by graham8219
That's unusual that they kept your passport? Normally they give it to you back and then you get an email asking you to submit your passport.

My interview was on 17th Feb, email was received 2 weeks later, they received my passport for visa issue on 16th March and still not had it back or acknowledged they have it for processing yet.
From reading here it would seem so yes ! Not sure why they choose to keep my passport but I think I’ll definitely have to ask them to return it based on the timescales you’ve experienced.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jr1993
From reading here it would seem so yes ! Not sure why they choose to keep my passport but I think I’ll definitely have to ask them to return it based on the timescales you’ve experienced.
Coincidentally, I’ve just checked the status checker which seems to have updated this morning to ‘administrative processing’ so fingers crossed We’re nearly there now !
Old Mar 28th 2022, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Had my interview today for what will be my third waiver, but first time for a B1/2 visa. ConOff confirmed that I should get a B1/2 rather than just B2 if my waiver is granted which I wasn't sure of, so that's good to know. Appointment was 8.30, I started queuing at about 8am, and I was out by 10am. There seemed to be no limiting of capacity, they were going at full tilt. As usual there was a collosal number of people who had not read the bloody instructions and turned up without DS-160 confirmations, some people were there on the wrong day (?!), among other things. Insane!

First time in the new embassy for me too, it seems those with ineligibilities are interviewed in semi-private rooms now, which is a nice touch. New building is seriously swanky - that dour feeling of the old place is gone. A pretty stress free experience all told. I was only asked what my reasons to visit the US were, whether I have stayed away from drugs since my last incident in 2008 (my conviction was possession of cannabis), and what job I did on my previous E-2 visa.

So now we wait!
Old Mar 28th 2022, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

EmmaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone and congrats to everyone that has received their waivers. I am concerned by a couple of the comments I have read and have an appointment on the 10th August for my 3rd waiver. I have a european holiday booked on the 27th august and read a comment that someone wrote about having to leave their passport at the embassy. I have never experienced this before and have always sent my passport in once I have received an email to say that they were ready to issue the visa. I obviously cannot risk leaving my passport there as I need it 17 days later.

What experience has everyone else had? Have you kept your passports and sent them in afterwards?

If there is a risk that they are going to keep mine I am going to have to reluctanctly change my appointment.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Emma x
Old Mar 28th 2022, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmmaN
Hi everyone and congrats to everyone that has received their waivers. I am concerned by a couple of the comments I have read and have an appointment on the 10th August for my 3rd waiver. I have a european holiday booked on the 27th august and read a comment that someone wrote about having to leave their passport at the embassy. I have never experienced this before and have always sent my passport in once I have received an email to say that they were ready to issue the visa. I obviously cannot risk leaving my passport there as I need it 17 days later.

What experience has everyone else had? Have you kept your passports and sent them in afterwards?

If there is a risk that they are going to keep mine I am going to have to reluctanctly change my appointment.

Thanks

Emma x
yes, they held on to my passport at the interview which is now causing me some concern. I need it back by the 16th and I’m not entirely sure if that will happen or not, status is currently at ‘administrative processing’ and has been since Wednesday, and says could take a couple weeks. Im hoping that if it doesn’t get sorted in the next week or so I can request for them to send the passport back via the contact form on the website. That seems to be the only option if contact which is frustrating. I will update here when I know more.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

EmmaN is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just called the embassy and pressed 0 for the operator and got through to some lady who told me to email [email protected] which goes straight through to the visa unit and is more likely to get a response than the contact form ???
Old Mar 28th 2022, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaN

Thanks

Emma x
If this is proposed during the interview, simply ask if you can follow the normal mail-in procedure when/if the waiver is granted. They're not completely inhuman!

For the record I kept my passport today, for a 3rd waiver. There wasn't even a hint of them keeping it. It is highly unusual for this to happen as others have said.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Hi All,

After a bit of advice.

Attended interview for 2nd Visa - referred for Waiver on 17th Feb
Emailed on 9th March to send Passport for Visa Issuance
Handed into DX on 11th March
Received at Embassy on 16th March

And nothing since, the website states 3-7 days for visa issue but mine has exceeded this. I've checked the status from DS-160 and still shows refused and the last action on 23 Feb.

Just wondering how long other people have been waiting recently when they have submitted their passports?

TIA

Old Mar 31st 2022, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

sunshine2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by graham8219
Hi All,

After a bit of advice.

Attended interview for 2nd Visa - referred for Waiver on 17th Feb
Emailed on 9th March to send Passport for Visa Issuance
Handed into DX on 11th March
Received at Embassy on 16th March

And nothing since, the website states 3-7 days for visa issue but mine has exceeded this. I've checked the status from DS-160 and still shows refused and the last action on 23 Feb.

Just wondering how long other people have been waiting recently when they have submitted their passports?

TIA
hi ya
we waited about 10 days for ours from dropping off at the dx location to receiving it back.

Hopefully you will hear in the next few days.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

LondonAlb is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of curiosity, what additional documents did you bring to support your case, if any? Last time I brought quite a lot and it was all taken to be scanned and sent over with the waiver but I know that sometimes they don't want to see anything.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

ireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really nice

Originally Posted by LondonAlb
Just out of curiosity, what additional documents did you bring to support your case, if any? Last time I brought quite a lot and it was all taken to be scanned and sent over with the waiver but I know that sometimes they don't want to see anything.
I would take them all again as you can never have too much to help your case, just get updated ones ie: rent/mortgage payment agreement, bills etc if that’s the sort of documents you mean.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

LondonAlb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireallywannago
I would take them all again as you can never have too much to help your case, just get updated ones ie: rent/mortgage payment agreement, bills etc if that’s the sort of documents you mean.
Yes, mortgage statement, payslip, bank statements to show funds for trip etc. Will get them sorted again. Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2022, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Still not heard anything. I got the email to send my passport on the 9th March so I have been without it for almost a month now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.