Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Oct 23rd 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

britexpat4456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
My husband got taken to secondary inspection when we landed in Orlando for first time using L1.
What does L1 mean?
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat4456
What does L1 mean?
an L1 is a type of non-immigrant employment visa
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat4456
Interested to hear from other people around their experience/average time spent in secondary inspection. F.e. if anyone who travels regularly has noticed any differences between airports.

I've had one trip to the US on my visa waiver and spent around 2.5 hours at Las Vegas McCarran International airport. As mentioned, wasn't allowed access to my phone or any way to notify those I was traveling with. Once I was finally called, just some very basic questions and lasted around 5 minutes. Seems the main delay is the queue of people in front and how complex their cases are - it goes in order of arrival from what I could see.
Although I'm the same person as earlier, I can fill out my experiences a little bit.

The delay is pretty much solely to do with how many people are also in Secondary. I have on one occasion been in there for an incredibly length period of time (nearly 5 hours) because it would appear the CPB officer who was reviewing my case either a) didn't know what to do or b) forgot he picked my passport out of the rack and started doing something else or c) decided to do a length review of my circumstances

I have come to the conclusion that USCs always get jumped to the front of the queue, which is why some people who appear to come in after you, leave before you. Either that or they are in first class and are under pressure to get a connecting flight. If the CBP make you miss your flight, my understanding is they have to front the cost of putting you on another plane.

LAX is where I have had most experience. The main Tom Bradley International Terminal is by far the worst simply because of the volume of people. You are basically guaranteed to be in there for a long period of time. The smaller terminals that have some international flights (United T7 and Virgin Atlantic T3) are much better due to the reduction in quantity. With VA, I have been in and out within about 20 minutes before. United was about 45 minutes but we'd landed at the same time as two other planes from Asia - all in, that's still pretty good.

My experiences at JFK have actually been really good but I think it's just chance that they haven't been very busy when I've been there. The CBP officers at JFK are by far the most relaxed, and often have a bit of a laugh with me about it.

The description you have given is totally standard. Once you actually get reviewed, it's in and out. They aren't interested in keeping you there any longer than you need to be. One caveat is that the CBP are a unique organisation in that they collectively have no grasp of urgency. The shift times on the desks are hilariously short. I think it's a pretty soul destroying job though, and most are in it for the exceptionally good long term benefits rather than the work life balance. To that end, I'm always very gentile with them.

I have seen someone be deported for getting back on their phone after being told to get off it, and then proclaiming that they were bored and that her situation was "ridiculous".
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I only have two experiences of going through secondary processing with a waiver of inegibility. First time was at Houston IAH in 2011. The place was busy and I spent around 45-60 minutes waiting, followed by being questioned for 15 minutes or so (they pretty much asked every question I'd faced at my visa interview in London, and I got the impression they had my previous answers on screen and were comparing to see if my story/circumstances stood up or not). Second time was last summer at preclearance in Dublin and I had a ten minute wait there before beimg stamped straight in, no questions asked.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

movida is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for these experiences. Is it silly of me to worry that something will go wrong and they won't let me in? Surely the waiver shows that an applicant has followed the full and proper process and the DHS has pre-approved entry, although I appreciate border control have the final say. Can they refuse entry for the circumstances involved (i.e. a conviction) despite the fact you have specifically got a waiver and visa for this reason? Or should I stop worrying and just deal with the (further) inconvenience when I get there, and be polite and answer the questions, for them to then let me through?
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movida
Thanks for these experiences. Is it silly of me to worry that something will go wrong and they won't let me in? Surely the waiver shows that an applicant has followed the full and proper process and the DHS has pre-approved entry, although I appreciate border control have the final say. Can they refuse entry for the circumstances involved (i.e. a conviction) despite the fact you have specifically got a waiver and visa for this reason? Or should I stop worrying and just deal with the (further) inconvenience when I get there, and be polite and answer the questions, for them to then let me through?
Well, CBP have the authority to act with impunity. So in theory they can turn you around, and they can also choose to not give you a reason why.

On the balance of probabilities, however, I think you should stop worry and just relax. You're well rehearsed in how to cope with this people now, it's pretty much out of your hands, and you're on the home straight with a frighteningly low probability of something going wrong, especially if you behave yourself.

People come on here and get very, very worked up about the Secondary inspection process. It's just a bunch of waiting, answering what's asked of you, and moving on. At the end of the day there are hundreds if not thousands of waiver entries every day into the US, and I bet the amount that get turned around is barely in the double digits, and it's almost certainly because they've done something stupid.

You'll be fine.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
If the CBP make you miss your flight, my understanding is they have to front the cost of putting you on another plane.
The best you can hope for is they ask the airline to rebook you, CBP certainly are not liable for the cost. It would be a very rare occurrence if the airline didn't do so. In 10 years at Heathrow I only personally know of one occasion when an airline refused to rebook a passenger in those circumstances.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

ireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really nice

Hi all, just an update on my 3rd waiver of ineligibility.

Had my interview on 20th June 2018
recieved me email today to send my passport back to London- total of 18 weeks and 1 day.

1st waiver valid for 1 year multiple entries
2nd waiver valid for 1 year multiple entries

waiting to see what the 3rd will be, the officer in the embassy said that it will bprobably be a 5 year visa, but I’ll wait and see.

Old Nov 2nd 2018, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

ireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really nice

Just another update

I received my Visa back and its valid for 5 years 2023.

Thanks everyone for your help. Until next time....
Old Nov 10th 2018, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

floridadream is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I wonder if anyone has a recent experience similar to ours. ~My husband applied for a visa in July and got an appointment in London for Sept, they recomended him for a waiver or ineligibility but subject to a medical (he had a drugs posession offence from when he was 20). We went for the medical 3 weeks ago and we have just had confirmation through that this was satisfactory so the recomedation for a waiver has gone to Dept for Homeland security. I just wondered if anyone else has had this same process and how long it took to come back after this? We are hoping to go to Florida for Easter. Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 10th 2018, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have heard of medicals being required in the past, but not for some time, so it's interesting to read that they are starting to do them again in reaction to drug offences.

As for timings, I'd expect the normal 5-6 month sort of range from the confirmation that the waiver recommendation has been sent to the DHS.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

floridadream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I have heard of medicals being required in the past, but not for some time, so it's interesting to read that they are starting to do them again in reaction to drug offences.

As for timings, I'd expect the normal 5-6 month sort of range from the confirmation that the waiver recommendation has been sent to the DHS.
Thanks for your reply, looks like Easer away is unrealistic then... I'll try not to think about it until its back.
Yes another man my husband spoke to at the Embassy in London got the same outcome - just a shame its adds a further 6/7 weeks onto the application process because of the availabilty of medical appointments. Quite pricey too - around £500!
Old Nov 10th 2018, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floridadream
Thanks for your reply, looks like Easer away is unrealistic then... I'll try not to think about it until its back.
Yes another man my husband spoke to at the Embassy in London got the same outcome - just a shame its adds a further 6/7 weeks onto the application process because of the availabilty of medical appointments. Quite pricey too - around £500!
Yes, it's a lot of money and a long time to wait for a decision; but, if the visa is granted, it's likely to be valid for a number of years and useful for multiple visits.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Robsky73 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my interview on the 6th and after submitting some more information by email have received an email today that I'm being recommended for the waiver program and the wait is 3-6 months. I have a holiday to Florida booked for the 6th May (5 and a half months away)
So I'm really hoping everything can come back by than, I can always shift my flights back but just will be a real hassle to do it.

It's a shame there isn't any way to check where you are in the system.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Jay1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not trying to worry you but keeping you informed I'm in the same boat, but mines, even worse, be aware that once you get the email saying submit passport it'll be another 10- additional on top as to when you send the passport off and receive it back with your visa inside.... I'm going in Feb so I've given in to the fact that I aint going.... Just hoping really I get confirmation nearer to 3 months, my interview was on 5th Oct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.