Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Apr 19th 2018, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Jo3ler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hello everyone.

Just got back from my 2nd trip to the US (both times JFK), got sent to the secondary processing room after immigration and it took a mere 15mins to get processed, couple of questions and "have a nice trip".

Is this the same at most airports in the US for folks with Waivers of Ineligibility? I'm due to be going to Vegas next year and I wondered if anyone had experience on this there?

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those still waiting for the email!
Old Apr 19th 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

ireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really niceireallywannago is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jo3ler
Hello everyone.

Just got back from my 2nd trip to the US (both times JFK), got sent to the secondary processing room after immigration and it took a mere 15mins to get processed, couple of questions and "have a nice trip".

Is this the same at most airports in the US for folks with Waivers of Ineligibility? I'm due to be going to Vegas next year and I wondered if anyone had experience on this there?

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those still waiting for the email!
Well I’ve been to Florida twice and it’s been around the same time. No hassle, 1st time was about 5 minutes as there was only me in there, 2nd time it was about 15 mins as there were 2 other people there.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ireallywannago
Well I’ve been to Florida twice and it’s been around the same time. No hassle, 1st time was about 5 minutes as there was only me in there, 2nd time it was about 15 mins as there were 2 other people there.
Great info thanks!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point

I fly in to Denver and never more than 10 mins.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noodler
I fly in to Denver and never more than 10 mins.
Thanks that's awesome
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

LAX Bradley Terminal, I have had 2 hours and once, 5 hours. It can be hell. LAX in general I always assume a minimum of an hour.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
LAX Bradley Terminal, I have had 2 hours and once, 5 hours. It can be hell. LAX in general I always assume a minimum of an hour.
Oh deep joy. That's where we're headed in October. We have an 15month old, when we went to NYC we were fast tracked through the main immigration queue so that saved at least half an hour, then my secondary processing took 20 mins so netted out about the same. Hopeful of something similar. 5hrs sounds horrendous - I would literally rather not go than have to put up with that.
Old May 1st 2018, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Oh deep joy. That's where we're headed in October. We have an 15month old, when we went to NYC we were fast tracked through the main immigration queue so that saved at least half an hour, then my secondary processing took 20 mins so netted out about the same. Hopeful of something similar. 5hrs sounds horrendous - I would literally rather not go than have to put up with that.
It vastly depends on what terminal you are going to. If you happen to be Virgin Atlantic, they are in a much smaller terminal and it's typically much quicker. United have their own terminal too (I am trying them for the first time in a few days so I will see - I refuse to fly to Tom Bradley now because of the waiting).

Take a view of how many people are in the room when you get in - if it's 5 or under you should be done quite quickly (that's an estimation), if it's 10-20+ then you're in for a long one.

If you are flying into the Tom Bradley terminal, expect over an hour. If you have a partner with you, consider having them leave the airport with your child and have them head to your hotel or whatever, and just travel separately. You won't be able to communicate with them (don't try and use a phone, it's not worth it) and the waiting will be hell - you'll be the only one dragged away anyway. If you're on here, you have your waiver and you've done your research, so all should be good - you will get there - it just takes time.
Old May 1st 2018, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

It vastly depends on what terminal you are going to. If you happen to be Virgin Atlantic, they are in a much smaller terminal and it's typically much quicker. United have their own terminal too (I am trying them for the first time in a few days so I will see - I refuse to fly to Tom Bradley now because of the waiting).

Take a view of how many people are in the room when you get in - if it's 5 or under you should be done quite quickly (that's an estimation), if it's 10-20+ then you're in for a long one.

If you are flying into the Tom Bradley terminal, expect over an hour. If you have a partner with you, consider having them leave the airport with your child and have them head to your hotel or whatever, and just travel separately. You won't be able to communicate with them (don't try and use a phone, it's not worth it) and the waiting will be hell - you'll be the only one dragged away anyway. If you're on here, you have your waiver and you've done your research, so all should be good - you will get there - it just takes time.
Thanks. We’re flying BA. just checked, into the Tom Bradley terminal... Arrive about 1pm in the afternoon.

Will make a plan for them to travel to the hotel separately but I really appreciate the info so we can plan, thanks.

If you don’t mind updating me I’d be interested to hear how long the wait is with United. Have a good trip and thanks.

P.S Yes have 5 year multi entry visa and been to the states twice on a waiver, but only been to JFK so was interested for future destinations
Old May 1st 2018, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. We’re flying BA. just checked, into the Tom Bradley terminal... Arrive about 1pm in the afternoon.

Will make a plan for them to travel to the hotel separately but I really appreciate the info so we can plan, thanks.

If you don’t mind updating me I’d be interested to hear how long the wait is with United. Have a good trip and thanks.

P.S Yes have 5 year multi entry visa and been to the states twice on a waiver, but only been to JFK so was interested for future destinations
I've never arrived at Tom Bradley that early, always around 5pm or later. Hopefully that'll be in your favour.

Will update this thread with the United terminal experience at LAX.

I too have been very quick at JFK.

It's basically 1st in and 1st out, and dependent on what the person ahead of you is in secondary inspection for, it can vastly alter the experience. I've had 20 people in front of me before go through in under an hour. I've had 2 people take 2 hours. The CBP officers (as you'll observe) seem to keep quite a strange shift culture, and between them clocking on and off, it loses an unbelievable amount of time. I've never experience such a lack of urgency as I have in secondary inspection.

But yeah, as you seem to be doing, plan for the worst. It can only meet your expectations or be better then.

I once saw a Dutch national get sent home from secondary inspection because she quite audibly complained about how long she was waiting. CBP officer told her to relax and stop shouting. She responded saying she wasn't shouting. She then got removed. Not kidding.
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

I've never arrived at Tom Bradley that early, always around 5pm or later. Hopefully that'll be in your favour.

Will update this thread with the United terminal experience at LAX.

I too have been very quick at JFK.

It's basically 1st in and 1st out, and dependent on what the person ahead of you is in secondary inspection for, it can vastly alter the experience. I've had 20 people in front of me before go through in under an hour. I've had 2 people take 2 hours. The CBP officers (as you'll observe) seem to keep quite a strange shift culture, and between them clocking on and off, it loses an unbelievable amount of time. I've never experience such a lack of urgency as I have in secondary inspection.

But yeah, as you seem to be doing, plan for the worst. It can only meet your expectations or be better then.

I once saw a Dutch national get sent home from secondary inspection because she quite audibly complained about how long she was waiting. CBP officer told her to relax and stop shouting. She responded saying she wasn't shouting. She then got removed. Not kidding.
Oh wow! I can imagine. I wouldn't say boo to a goose with those guys. They're very serious.

Thanks so much for all the info, at least now I can prep ahead of the trip.

Look forward to your update on United. Have a good trip
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi, what is the normal time scale from sending passport (after receiving email)...to receiving passport back with visa + waiver?

would ideally like to book flight for as soon as possible after receiving the email.

thank you
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
hi, what is the normal time scale from sending passport (after receiving email)...to receiving passport back with visa + waiver?

would ideally like to book flight for as soon as possible after receiving the email.

thank you
Depends slightly on the day of week, but my last experience was send on friday end of day, received on the following thursday. It's generally 5-7 working day turnaround.

My previous experience was similar, as was my partner's. This is one of the more consistent areas of this process!!!

Congratulations on finally getting sorted. I still abide by the advice of never booking anything until the visa is in hand.
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends slightly on the day of week, but my last experience was send on friday end of day, received on the following thursday. It's generally 5-7 working day turnaround.

My previous experience was similar, as was my partner's. This is one of the more consistent areas of this process!!!

Congratulations on finally getting sorted. I still abide by the advice of never booking anything until the visa is in hand.
ok great, thanks so much for the advice. We still haven't got the waiver but I keep checking the Belfast case status tracker spreadsheet and the applications submitted 2 weeks earlier than ours...have just been processed. So I am hoping the pattern continues and we will hear in a couple of weeks. (Just planning ahead - although I am booking rewards/miles flights so will have some flexibility).

I have never been great at being patient
Old May 8th 2018, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

movida is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an interview at Belfast next week. Must I bring all original documents (ie criminal record check, original conviction documents etc?) I must have these back for future use. Do they return all documents intact or should I take photocopies? If they accept them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.