Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Aug 17th 2017, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Jo3ler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

I had the second interview yesterday after my previous visa waiver ran out. The whole process was easy and straightforward. The secondary part of the interview, after a wait of about 45mins, took a mere 30 seconds. The Visa Officer asked me if I'd been in trouble with the police since (no), then said she'd recommend me for a waiver again. I asked if it would be a year again, she confirmed that the law has now changed and that it would be 5years. She also said to me to come back and renew it around 6months before it runs out next time, and I'll have no period where I can't travel to the States. She said they're taking between 4-6 months. I won't be planning to travel before then, like last time where I had to cancel my flights and tell my in-laws about my conviction which was the pits!

Gilbo68: In answer to your question, I've heard that you can be taken for a secondary short interview, or in my case, was sent to a room at JFK with a load of other people. They finally called out my name, went to a guy at the desk, he looked at my passport and sent me on my way. No questions, very minimal dialogue at all in fact!

I'm so glad I'm allowed in the States. And I just got a Aussie Visa as well so I am on a roll! Boom. Good luck everyone.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 9:33 am
Just Joined

usadreaming is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to Ian and Shiver for your responses guys! You are really helpful to this community.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo3ler
She said they're taking between 4-6 months.
It's probably closer to 6-7 months, but yes - don't plan any travel until you have the visa in your passport. Well done.

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jo3ler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's probably closer to 6-7 months, but yes - don't plan any travel until you have the visa in your passport. Well done.

Ian
Cheers Ian
Old Aug 19th 2017, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Tambling is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian or anyone else. Please can yet point me in the direction for the Canadian process equivalent to the US waiver. Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2017, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tambling
Please can yet point me in the direction for the Canadian process equivalent to the US waiver.
The web site, BritishExpats, doesn't just deal with the UK and the US. There are forums for many countries around the world. Perhaps the Canada Immigration forum would be suitable for your questions. I could give you the direct link - but I don't believe in doing other people's research for them. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

Ian
Old Aug 25th 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

beibhinn16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Went for my interview in April. Got recommended for a waiver but was told there was no guarantee this time because of the change of administration. Has anyone else been told this at their interview?
Old Aug 25th 2017, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by beibhinn16
Got recommended for a waiver but was told there was no guarantee this time because of the change of administration.
There's never been a guarantee. Now, however, they're able to give you a plausible reason... whether it's true or not. I think it's nothing more than scaremongering.

Ian
Old Aug 25th 2017, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

beibhinn16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guarantee was tbe incorrect word my apologies the exact phrase used was they were not hopeful because of the administration change since my last waiver
Old Aug 26th 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beibhinn16
Guarantee was tbe incorrect word my apologies the exact phrase used was they were not hopeful because of the administration change since my last waiver
Obviously we don't know any more than you, all we can tell you is that staff can say whatever they want with impunity, and that waivers getting declined if you've been recommended for one are pretty unusual. The vast majority go through successfully. There does not appear to be any evidence that the administration changing has impacted how the waivers work and the rate at which they get issued.

I do know that the staff at the London consulate are somewhat displeased with the administration which has lead to some resignations - perhaps your experience is a reflection of that.

Fact is, you can't do anything anyway, so you might as well sit back and carry on your life. If you get one, great, if it gets declined, well your life is the same as it was the day before.
Old Aug 26th 2017, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw refused waivers last year, wonder what that was down to?
Old Aug 26th 2017, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I saw refused waivers last year, wonder what that was down to?
Is there not a reason given? I expect not knowing USICS, but worth wondering.

Waivers obviously get refused at some point, presumably for more serious offences such as lying to the consulate/providing information that is contrary to what DHS know, but I guess at some point consulate officers are going to make a mistake recommending a waiver when they shouldn't have. It's all discretion though, isn't it? There are no rights involved at this point.
Old Aug 26th 2017, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never heard of anyone been given a reason beyond did not qualify.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 8:58 pm
KTG
Forum Regular

KTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond reputeKTG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Slightly off-topic for this thread, but just wanted to document my experience of travelling through US Preclearance in Dublin with my waiver of ineligibility this morning.

I'm travelling from Heathrow to Chicago and the original connection time in Dublin was 1h20m, which I felt was a bit tight. The check in agent at LHR bumped me up to an earlier flight to DUB, so that gave me more time to play with.

I needn't have worried though. I managed to deplane, walk through Flight Connections at DUB T2, clear the US security screening and arrived in Preclearance within 20 minutes. I was seen by a CBP agent within 5 minutes, asked the standard questions, fingerprints on right hand taken, along with photo, then sent into Secondary.

There were only two people in front of me in Secondary and three officers on duty, so the wait was less than 5 minutes. The guy who took my passport entered a few details on his computer, stamped my passport for 6 months B2 status, then called me up and said "you're done". I wasn't even asked any further questions.

The whole thing was very quick and easy. It took just under 40 minutes from leaving my inbound aircraft to arriving in the US Precleared departure gate area.
That is reassuring. Doing Newcastle to Dublin then onward to NYC in December.

I have been freaking out big time over my 1hr 10mins transfer time. From reading other forums it seems quite organised there. What time did you fly from Dublin and was there lots of people queuing in general?

Do you stil use the kiosks like the ESTA travellers or do you queue separately for visa travellers? Also my partner will be travelling on an ESTA so will we get seperated?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:49 am
Banned

stevenwalker211278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning everyone

Ok so i need a REFRESH of what to do again as my last via expired nearly a year ago i want to apply again

can some one remind me what i need to do / process times of late / my 2nd visa will it be a 1 year visa again

i remember i have to apply for police report again just need a refresh of other details

also what site to i go on to book appointment for london please

many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.