Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Oct 15th 2016, 2:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by elvertine
Ok so received my other half's police certificate back today, filled in his forms online, put both our applications into one on the visa appointment system and the earliest appointment date available is next Thursday! I wasn't expecting one available so soon! It's to short notice for me to change my shifts but it's positive that it's not a long wait. Trouble is my partner is saying we're better off leaving it a little later as he's hoping his business will be up and running in the next few months. So far he's only attended business courses, made verbal agreements for business opportunities and he's still waiting to do his courses relating to his business plan so on paper it just looks as though he's jobless at the moment. Will it really help his case that much if he goes to his interview and is able to say he's just started his own business as oppose to he's just planning it? I don't have a clue how long it takes to officially set up a business and I don't want to leave it too much longer to book an appointment because ideally I would like to know for certain if we can go a few months before our provisional trip.
You could wait until the business is established and has a presence, accounts etc to support ot, but begs the question how much if any time he will have to spend on holiday?
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:16 am
Just Joined

mrkobain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
While you can apply for the two visas concurrently, as I've noted above, I don't believe it is possible to have a combined interview for them both. Each interview appointment has to be booked on CEAC and is tied to a specific DS-160 application and MRV fee payment. If you think about it, each interview will be concerned with the different specific aspects of your need to travel and be covering different ground, asking different questions etc.

If you meant can you attend two different interviews on the same day at the embassy, well that might be possible, but is something you will only be able to find out when you come to schedule the two appointments. My feeling is that it's likely to be impractical due to how appearances at the embassy are structured.
Ok makes sense...it may be easier, and cheaper to do the flying in Europe but nevertheless thanks for the info. I'll let ye know how it goes if I decide to take that pathway
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:29 am
Account Closed

I assumed different people interviewed different visa types at a big Consulate like London, may be wrong.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 10:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elvertine
Trouble is my partner is saying we're better off leaving it a little later as he's hoping his business will be up and running in the next few months.
The business is irrelevant - so don't let him use that as an excuse. The issue is his drug conviction... not his business, not his profession, not his experience.

Will it really help his case that much if he goes to his interview and is able to say he's just started his own business as oppose to he's just planning it?
I don't think so, no... because his business acumen is not the root of the issue. Frankly, there's absolutely nothing to lose by attending the interview.

Ian
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

elvertine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The business is irrelevant - so don't let him use that as an excuse. The issue is his drug conviction... not his business, not his profession, not his experience.

I don't think so, no... because his business acumen is not the root of the issue. Frankly, there's absolutely nothing to lose by attending the interview.

Ian
This was exactly my thoughts afterwards so we ended up booking it for the 3rd November. He said he wanted to at least have something positive to go there with but we both thought the main issue would be the conviction and holding out for a few months shouldn't make any difference. So with the current worth of the pound we've now paid £263 for the visa applications, £90 for police certificates, £89 for a hotel the night before and will have fuel costs to come. Expensive considering we're expecting them to say no but I'll regret it if we don't try. At least we'll know for certain in a few weeks if there's no chance.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

elvertine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
You could wait until the business is established and has a presence, accounts etc to support ot, but begs the question how much if any time he will have to spend on holiday?
Yes he has said this himself! But I'll be dragging him away whether he likes it or not! Whether that'll be to the US mind...
In all seriousness thanks for your help! It's only going to be a small business to start with so hopefully he'll be able to squeeze in 2 weeks annual leave.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

yum2yum is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my send passport email, Interview was June 7th , so a little over 4 months, which is less than half the time of last time. This was my second waiver.

Im traveling for work in 10 days time unfortunately so will have to submit when I get back, but is well inside the 30 days so dont anticipate any problem.

Toot toot!
Old Oct 18th 2016, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

serenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yum2yum
Just got my send passport email, Interview was June 7th , so a little over 4 months, which is less than half the time of last time. This was my second waiver.

Im traveling for work in 10 days time unfortunately so will have to submit when I get back, but is well inside the 30 days so dont anticipate any problem.

Toot toot!

Awesome news yum2yum x

My interview was June 27th so my email may come along in a few weeks.

Last edited by serenawell; Oct 18th 2016 at 10:18 am.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Mirae1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Timeline for B1/B2 visa when refused for moral turpitude (offence was for assault and was 21 years ago):
I had my visa interview on 27th May this year, the visa was refused and the officer recommended a waiver. I received the email from the embassy last Wednesday which was 19 weeks and 5 days from interview date. I sent my passport the same day via special delivery royal mail, it was received by the consolate the next morning. The visa page was updated the next day stating admininstrative processing. Yesterday the status changed to Issued and i received an email staing my passport and visa were with DX. I literally just received my passport back with a 5 year visa. happy days, i travel Saturday. So total time from interview to receipt was 20 weeks 5 days.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

serenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mirae1973
Timeline for B1/B2 visa when refused for moral turpitude (offence was for assault and was 21 years ago):
I had my visa interview on 27th May this year, the visa was refused and the officer recommended a waiver. I received the email from the embassy last Wednesday which was 19 weeks and 5 days from interview date. I sent my passport the same day via special delivery royal mail, it was received by the consolate the next morning. The visa page was updated the next day stating admininstrative processing. Yesterday the status changed to Issued and i received an email staing my passport and visa were with DX. I literally just received my passport back with a 5 year visa. happy days, i travel Saturday. So total time from interview to receipt was 20 weeks 5 days.
Thank you for sharing your timeline Mirae - well done on getting the 5 year visa.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Tinap37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys new to here but just thought I would share my exsperience , me and my husband had arranged a trip to NYC this November 2016 unaware of the wait times for the b1/b2 visa when we booked as back in 2005 he received his visa with in a short time from his interview so we just assumed 😕 it would be the same never crossed our minds untill he attended his interview there would be a six month wait ! Any way interview very short and sweet as usual no problems just wait to hear and he was being recommended for a five year visa , so we came away a little taken back but the whole six month wait but enjoyed the rest of the weekend in London and put it to the back of our minds .. However on returning and reading the post on here the last thing we were gonna do was sit around and stress about a visa arriving in time for our trip as it was obvious that there ain't nothing you can do to hurry them up with it's processing etc so just let them get on with it and get on with your life would be my advice you will hear when you hear , so we made the decision to delay out trip until May next year so would allow plenty of time for there lengthy processing , anyway interview was May 26th heard on the 12/10/16 that we had to send his passport off for the visa which I did straight away ...and had a email yesterday 20/10/16 to say it's out for delivery .. So not to bad all in all ... But I certainly wouldn't put my life on hold waiting for it what's the fun in that ! Best if luck guys 👍🏻

Last edited by Tinap37; Oct 20th 2016 at 3:42 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

freeranger is an unknown quantity at this point

So, quick question. I am 30+ and was recently convicted of shoplifting. Reentered a store with previously bought stuff but without receipt, but, who cares... the conviction is there. The amount was between $200-300, juuust over the limit for it not to be petty in this country. I got close to the smallest fine possible, and a suspended sentence with no conditions which expires in 2 years. I've done my due diligence to check if this all falls under the petty offense exception or any other, and while i'll double-check with a lawyer, it doesn't seem like it. This is my only conviction ever.

Now my question is: Approximately, how many years would I need to wait before I would be able to get recommended for a non-immigrant waiver? And if I try and do not get recommended, could I simply try again a year later?

My hope is that within 3-4 years I should be able to be recommended for one, and looking back at some previous posters it seems possible, but i'm not sure and was hoping that the folks in this thread have a better understanding of this.

I've previously had a 5-year multiple entry visa and visited the US several times with no incidents.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

On the limited info, well you can try as often as you like, every 5 years?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

freeranger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
On the limited info, well you can try as often as you like, every 5 years?
So... if I do not get recommended for a waiver by the officer, I have to wait another 5 years before I can try again with a new visa application and hope to get recommended? Or am I reading your answer wrong?

Also, I guess I should clarify that the visa I want to apply for is just a tourist visa. Ideally, a 5-year multiple entry visa as I had last time. My previous visa has already expired so at this point all i'm waiting for is for enough years to pass from the time of the incident so that I am likely to get recommended for a waiver when applying.

Last edited by freeranger; Oct 24th 2016 at 12:50 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freeranger
I got close to the smallest fine possible, and a suspended sentence with no conditions which expires in 2 years.
The actual punishment you received is largely irrelevant. What's important is the maximum punishment you could have received had they decided to throw the book at you. That is what US immigration will use to determine the outcome of your application.

Approximately, how many years would I need to wait before I would be able to get recommended for a non-immigrant waiver?
I would wait at least 5 years before trying... but that's me! You are free to apply any time you want. All you lose is the application fee.

And if I try and do not get recommended, could I simply try again a year later?
Yes. You can apply as often as you wish.

I've previously had a 5-year multiple entry visa and visited the US several times with no incidents.
Your past travel history is now largely irrelevant.

I guess I should clarify that the visa I want to apply for is just a tourist visa. Ideally, a 5-year multiple entry visa as I had last time.
You aren't likely to get a 5-year visa considering how recent the incident was. Even 5 years from now, you still might not get a 5-year visa. But, as I said earlier, you can apply as often as you like.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.