Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I guess, from that timeline, that, in fact, they decided you didn't need a waiver, that and the fact that you got a 10 year visa, which those genuinely needing a waiver will never get.
cc2325 probably qualified for one of the exceptions.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

serenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond reputeserenawell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WindingRoad
Thank you to everyone on the forum. Today I receive the email from U.S. DoS Visa System. Only 10 months and nine days since I had my interview at the Embassy in London! Good luck to everyone else waiting.
Great news WindingRoad. Thank you for sharing your timeline x
Old Mar 5th 2016, 11:19 am
Just Joined

mrkobain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I just received my first B1/B2 visa with waiver of inadmissibility attached. I was wondering what people's experiences have been like going through immigration for the first time with their first waiver...I am living in Ireland and can do preclearance in Shannon or Dublin airport but a friend of mine recommended that I don't go through there for my first time as they are very strict...is there any reason for me to be stopped again with a waiver? The reason for my inadmissibility was possession of a controlled substance over 10 years ago... I applied for a visa since this and they gave me one without a waiver about 3 years ago and was stopped in Dublin airport from traveling even though it was their embassy that issued the visa in error! I'm just worried/concerned about anything like this happening again obviously because I lost a lot of money on flights hotels etc last time...any advice or experience shared would be great, thanks
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrkobain
I just received my first B1/B2 visa with waiver of inadmissibility attached. I was wondering what people's experiences have been like going through immigration for the first time with their first waiver...
You can expect to be taken to secondary processing for questioning. This seems to be the norm in the majority of cases and you should definitely be prepared for it. It probably won't make any difference whether you clear CBP in the US or at one of the preclearance facilities in Ireland. That further questioning might be fairly brief or it could, as my own experience was, be quite extensive.

I was asked pretty much all of the same questions I'd been asked at my visa interview and from the way the officer kept checking his screen I got the impression he had an online transcript of my interview and was cross referencing my verbal answers against the ones I'd given previously at the embassy.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just expect things to take a bit longer, that's all.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You can expect to be taken to secondary processing for questioning. This seems to be the norm in the majority of cases and you should definitely be prepared for it. It probably won't make any difference whether you clear CBP in the US or at one of the preclearance facilities in Ireland. That further questioning might be fairly brief or it could, as my own experience was, be quite extensive.

I was asked pretty much all of the same questions I'd been asked at my visa interview and from the way the officer kept checking his screen I got the impression he had an online transcript of my interview and was cross referencing my verbal answers against the ones I'd given previously at the embassy.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just expect things to take a bit longer, that's all.
Ok thanks for the reply, I guess the only thing I can do is try! From your experience it sounds like the officer was almost trying to catch you out? Did you have to admit to your offense in front of him?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Ok thanks for the reply, I guess the only thing I can do is try! From your experience it sounds like the officer was almost trying to catch you out? Did you have to admit to your offense in front of him?
Of course they were trying to catch me out. I'm a criminal and they were probing to see if I'd been lying and therefore was I trustworthy enough to admit into the US. I didn't go into detail on the specific offences (there are many many more than just one offence on my record), I simply confirmed that I needed the visa for CIMT.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Newyork is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=mrkobain;11886935]Hi all,

I just received my first B1/B2 visa with waiver of inadmissibility attached. I was wondering what people's experiences have been like going through immigration for the first time with their first waiver...I am living in Ireland and can do preclearance in Shannon or Dublin airport but a friend of mine recommended that I don't go through there for my first time as they are very strict...is there any reason for me to be stopped again with .....

My experience was at the initial border desk when he saw I had a visa with a waiver he asked me what the offence was and how long ago was it. Then he said to another officer that he was taking me to secondary . Once in secondary he asked me 3 questions , 1 What is the purpose of your visit , 2 How long do you intend to stay 3 Where will you be staying. Then he asked me to sit down . 5/6 minutes later he said OK enjoy your stay in the States and the way out is over there. Very friendly and quick , just do not try and be clever or antagonistic towards the questioning and you should be ok if their is nothing untoward in your application.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Newyork;11887346]
Hi all,

I just received my first B1/B2 visa with waiver of inadmissibility attached. I was wondering what people's experiences have been like going through immigration for the first time with their first waiver...I am living in Ireland and can do preclearance in Shannon or Dublin airport but a friend of mine recommended that I don't go through there for my first time as they are very strict...is there any reason for me to be stopped again with .....

My experience was at the initial border desk when he saw I had a visa with a waiver he asked me what the offence was and how long ago was it. Then he said to another officer that he was taking me to secondary . Once in secondary he asked me 3 questions , 1 What is the purpose of your visit , 2 How long do you intend to stay 3 Where will you be staying. Then he asked me to sit down . 5/6 minutes later he said OK enjoy your stay in the States and the way out is over there. Very friendly and quick , just do not try and be clever or antagonistic towards the questioning and you should be ok if their is nothing untoward in your application.
Ok sounds good...I suppose my real concern is that I have seen a few articles online which say there is no waiver available for drug offenses, yet I have been granted one, for possession of a controlled substance (cocaine), has this changed? It was a first time offense over 10 years ago, and I had to go through deferred entry of judgment which eventually led to dismissal of charges
Old Mar 6th 2016, 12:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a few articles online which say there is no waiver available for drug offenses...
That's only true for immigrant visas. For drug offenses, there are waivers available if you're getting a non-immigrant visa... but not if you're getting an immigrant visa.

I am living in Ireland and can do preclearance in Shannon or Dublin airport...
Don't be silly, do the preclearance!

... but a friend of mine recommended that I don't go through there for my first time as they are very strict...
I suggest you get a new friend!

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2016, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

sevorg is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a B2 with a waiver(now on my second visa)I have entered three times using the visa.Each time I was taken to a small room and waited .The first and second time waited an hour and the third time 10 mins. Each time I was not asked any questions, apart from the last time when I was asked do i have a return ticket. Nothing else.So my experience is that secondary is just a matter of waiting while they do some checks on their computer.I was told by one officer that they check to see if anything has occurred since the waiver was granted(I dont know if that is true or not)
Old Mar 6th 2016, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's only true for immigrant visas. For drug offenses, there are waivers available if you're getting a non-immigrant visa... but not if you're getting an immigrant visa.

Don't be silly, do the preclearance!

I suggest you get a new friend!

Ian
Ok cheers, I've been in a waiting list for years for a green card as my brother is a citizen and is sponsoring me so I guess that won't be happening now unless the law changes
Old Mar 6th 2016, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sevorg
I have a B2 with a waiver(now on my second visa)I have entered three times using the visa.Each time I was taken to a small room and waited .The first and second time waited an hour and the third time 10 mins. Each time I was not asked any questions, apart from the last time when I was asked do i have a return ticket. Nothing else.So my experience is that secondary is just a matter of waiting while they do some checks on their computer.I was told by one officer that they check to see if anything has occurred since the waiver was granted(I dont know if that is true or not)
Ok that didn't sound too bad, just allow a little longer in the airport! Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Ok cheers, I've been in a waiting list for years for a green card as my brother is a citizen and is sponsoring me so I guess that won't be happening now unless the law changes
You won't be getting a green card with an offence of possessing cocaine and the likelihood of the law changing in this regard is effectively nil.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Ok that didn't sound too bad, just allow a little longer in the airport! Thanks
You should still be prepared for them to ask you any number of questions. Also be aware that even with a visa and waiver of ineligibility, there is a tiny chance that you could still be refused entry to the USA just the same as any other foreigner presenting themselves at a POE.

Allowing extra time at the airport is essential so make plans accordingly. Tell anyone that might be meeting you/waiting outside that there may be a delay or, if you are travelling onwards via a connecting flight, ensure that you have plenty of time (minimum 2 hours, preferably longer) between arrival and departure.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You won't be getting a green card with an offence of possessing cocaine and the likelihood of the law changing in this regard is effectively nil.
On a slightly different note.

Can you get a green card with a waiver for misrepresentaion? I've had the waiver for 20 years now, the last one being for five years. Daughter is a US citizen and could sponsor me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.