Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

James2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

So after being granted a 1 year visa with multiple entries we had the trip of a lifetime to Vegas last month- great for a long and tedious process to have a happy ending and be worth all the hassle.

I can't help but think about another trip as I got a one year multiple entry Visa but am aware my passport expires in October 2015. Does anyone know if I need to have 6 months remaining on my Passport to travel to the US or would I be ok to travel (for example) in June 15? My Visa expires in August 2015 with my passport expiring in October 2015 so it is really just the question of whether you need 6 months remaining on your Visa from point of travel?

Any information would be appreciated as ever.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James2014
Does anyone know if I need to have 6 months remaining on my Passport to travel to the US...
You do not. You must enter the US while your visa is valid and you will be admitted to the expiry date of your passport. This helps ensure that you have a valid passport with which to return home... because you can't usually get on a plane with an expired passport.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

James2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks Ian
Old Dec 12th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Hle311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else waiting on the outcome regarding their waiver of inadmissability? I'm at 21 weeks since interview now so hopefully not much longer to wait...and more hopefully I get a positive outcome!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:25 am
Just Joined

21 weeks exactly today since interview and I've received my email to send in my passport! I'm over the moon! Now to send passport off
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

sevorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Interview London 3rd July
E Mail today to send passport
23 weeks 2 days

Just hope they give me the 5 year visa they said at interview
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Congratulations Sevorg, I hope you get what you're hoping for. Do you have travel booked already?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

No travel booked, just want to visit my son who has moved to the US.Applied in plenty of time,as not planning to travel for another 3/4 months,so a five year would be handy as I am not going for holidays as such.Would be nice to just be able to "pop" over when I want,or something happens.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Was this your first application? Is it correct that for a first visa with waiver it's usually a 1 year validity visa?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

This was my second one.The first one was one year, multi entry, which seems to be common, but others have said one year,single entry.There does not seem to be any "standard" .
I am only saying about the 5 year as the CO said,with out any prompting from me,"we will give you a five year visa, to save you coming back and fore".
Whether they do or not remains to be seen!. It may be because I was visiting a close relative(son) not just a holiday,I just dont know.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Ah ok, it doesn't matter to me if its single or multiple entry if it's 1 year validity as I'm only planning the one trip anyway, I'm just hoping that it is definitely 1 year as 6 months would be too short for my ideal travel plans.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hle311
Was this your first application? Is it correct that for a first visa with waiver it's usually a 1 year validity visa?
That is usually the case, although individual circumstances vary.

Originally Posted by sevorg
This was my second one.The first one was one year, multi entry, which seems to be common, but others have said one year,single entry.There does not seem to be any "standard" .
I am only saying about the 5 year as the CO said,with out any prompting from me,"we will give you a five year visa, to save you coming back and fore".
Whether they do or not remains to be seen!. It may be because I was visiting a close relative(son) not just a holiday,I just dont know.
You will just have to wait and see what transpires when you receive your passport and visa.

The FAM guidance to consular officials clearly states that requests for waivers with a longer validity than 12 months are normally only considered once an applicant has received and complied with the terms of two 12 month validity waivers. 60 months is the maximum validity allowed for any visa carrying a waiver of ineligibility annotation.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Some useful reading in here regarding waiver validity and the process consular officials follow when requesting waivers: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87150.pdf
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Are visas of 6 months still issued do you know material controller?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

MaterialController, yes that was an interesting read.
I am not sure why the CO even mentioned the 5 years,it was not following any prompting by me.I even said after she said that, that the next application would be in the new embassy building and she agreed.

Having read the guidance,I would have preferred that she had not mentioned the 5 years, as I was fully expecting the same as before, as I would have been happy but now I will be disappointed if I "only" get the one year visa.

Ah well, my passport is now with the Embassy so I will know sometime next week.Will let you know what happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.