Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Jul 1st 2013, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by biomedicalengg
During my visa interview the CO told me that she would go ahead and apply for the waiver on my behalf. Does this mean she has 'recommended' me for the waiver?
Yes it does.

when you say "on our letter the estimate was 20-22 weeks" what letter are you referring to? i never received any letter from the embassy.
The embassy in London usually give applicants in your situation a VCU R3 form, which gives the reasons for them being found inadmissible as well as a brief explanation of the waiver process and possible timescale.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

would you mind sharing the reason your bf needed the waiver?
You can likely read about it yourself. Click on the person's username and select "find more posts..."

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

biomedicalengg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:37 am
Just Joined

brit82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again, yes the other guys have answered the questions for me.

Do they usually give a 6 month visa to start with for your first waiver or is it usually a year?

How many of you obtained a 6 month one the first time round and how many received one which lasted for a year?

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:52 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit82
Hi again, yes the other guys have answered the questions for me.

Do they usually give a 6 month visa to start with for your first waiver or is it usually a year?

How many of you obtained a 6 month one the first time round and how many received one which lasted for a year?

Thanks
My first visa was valid for 12 months and one single entry to the USA. The second one was valid for 12 months and multiple entries.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
My first visa was valid for 12 months and one single entry to the USA. The second one was valid for 12 months and multiple entries.
Thanks for the reply, as we originally told them we would travel 27th August for 2 weeks and then received the letter stating it would be 20 - 22 week wait we move the holiday forward to mid Feb next year. Now we received the email yesterday asking us to submit my bf passport for visa issuance I am now worried they will only offer a 6 month visa which would mean it would out of date for mid feb. Just want to know the chance of this, as I read a previous poster stating his first was only for 6 months.

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit82
I am now worried they will only offer a 6 month visa which would mean it would out of date for mid feb. Just want to know the chance of this, as I read a previous poster stating his first was only for 6 months.
With respect, this is one of the reasons we suggest that people don't book tickets until they actually have a visa in their passport!

There is no way to know, in advance, the validity period of your visa. It could be 6 months; it could be 12 months; or it could be 1 month.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, this is one of the reasons we suggest that people don't book tickets until they actually have a visa in their passport!

There is no way to know, in advance, the validity period of your visa. It could be 6 months; it could be 12 months; or it could be 1 month.

Ian
We havent actually booked anything, other than time off work.

I just wanted to ask how many people received 6 months or a year for their first Visa.

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

hey guys,

I was wondering what is the procedure for renewing the 212d3 waiver.

So assuming I'm granted the waiver (1st time) for 1 year single entry, but I'm going to the US for university. As a student I will be flying home during break to visit my family. So in this case would I have to go back to the embassy where I obtained the visa and re-apply for another waiver and wait another 20 weeks?

Or is there a way I can apply for a renewal while I'm still in the US?

I've tried looking around for information on this, but haven't had much luck find any.

Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

hey guys,

I was wondering what is the procedure for renewing the 212d3 waiver.

So assuming I'm granted the waiver (1st time) for 1 year single entry, but I'm going to the US for university. As a student I will be flying home during break to visit my family. So in this case would I have to go back to the embassy where I obtained the visa and re-apply for another waiver and wait another 20 weeks?

Or is there a way I can apply for a renewal while I'm still in the US?

I've tried looking around for information on this, but haven't had much luck find any.

Thanks.
You make another complete visa application from scratch. Start over from the beginning again.

I don't believe you can apply for a visa while inside the USA.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

But don't they typically issue the visa for the duration of the course listed on the I-20? It wouldn't make sense to issue a 1 year visa for a 4 year course.

It would make sense if it were a tourist visa, but it doesn't seem reasonable to expect a student to leave the country and sit out 5 months in the middle of a degree.

I've looked through the forum but I haven't come across any F-1 applicants that applied for a waiver. Most seem to be B1/B2.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

But don't they typically issue the visa for the duration of the course listed on the I-20? It wouldn't make sense to issue a 1 year visa for a 4 year course.

It would make sense if it were a tourist visa, but it doesn't seem reasonable to expect a student to leave the country and sit out 5 months in the middle of a degree.

I've looked through the forum but I haven't come across any F-1 applicants that applied for a waiver. Most seem to be B1/B2.
I only answered the specific question you asked which was "So assuming I'm granted the waiver (1st time) for 1 year single entry...etc etc".

To be honest, I have no experience with student visas and wouldn't know what visa conditions are likely to apply if your waiver recommendation is accepted, other than it will be no more than 5 years duration (as that is the maximum duration visa that can be given to any applicant requiring a waiver of ineligibility).
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Gotcha. Yea I haven't been able to find much information pertaining to student visas and waivers.

I was just confused on the what the process is for renewing the waiver specifically. I've read online that you can apply for a waiver in advance with the CBP if you're in the US and plan on leaving and re-entering.

Also, once you've been approved for a waiver does each subsequent application require the same 20-22 week waiting period?

I understand there are a lot of uncertainties regarding this issue. Thanks for replying though.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

marbella-james is an unknown quantity at this point

over 1 year now since i applied for a waiver and seem to be stuck in AP, can anyone give any advice to what i should do??
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by marbella-james
... can anyone give any advice to what i should do??
Yes - wait patiently, because there is nothing you can do. You can't find out why you're in AP; you can't find out where in the process you are; and you can't find out how long it'll take to complete. The only thing you can do is wait.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.