Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

No ITIN = No 2002 Tax filing - what to take to K-3 interview?

Wikiposts

No ITIN = No 2002 Tax filing - what to take to K-3 interview?

Old Mar 31st 2003, 2:22 pm
Richard III

Default No ITIN = No 2002 Tax filing - what to take to K-3 interview?

Well, it's official. I talked to the IRS today and they told me that
there was NO CHANCE that I would receive my wife's Individual Taxpayer
Identification Number in time to file our 2002 taxes by April 15,

As it happens, Elena will be going to the consulate in Moscow for her
K-3 visa interview BEFORE I will be able to file our tax return. The
question is, can I provide my W-2 and the last two years tax
transcripts for the interview along with a letter stating the facts
about the ITIN? I will be filing for an extension of the date for
filing our 1040 ASAP. I need some practical advice. Thank you in
advance...

Richard III

Old Mar 31st 2003, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

candiceezznagui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITIN number and IRS grrrrr

The IRS is screwing with us too...they told me a certified copy of his passport was not enough I have to prove he was born, lived blah blah balh in Morocco...TOTALLY stuipd.....

Sorry that was OT I just need to vent a little. Needless to say I can't file my 1040 either...filed for an extension over the phone.

Sounds like a good plan..what I did was send in a copy of the form I AM going to send as soon as they give me his number and also w-2's plus last years taxes with letter explaining everything. I also have changes in jobs and income level since last 2001 tax season....much too low...so I explained that in the letter as well as well as sending copy of paycheck stubs, letters from employers and a chart showing how much money I make with different school disticts (I am a suB) so I have some very intresting situations and just expalined them all thoughly and then signed the letter with a noteray...just to be on the safe side. I am praying it al works and that there is not problem. Ihave heard many people say they don't even look at them....they REALLY look at them when they get here and file for adjustment and the BIG support packet that is binding for 10 years and very strick!

Hope this helps..looks like you are on the right track!
Old Apr 1st 2003, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

candiceezznagui -

Good suggestion about sending the 1040 with EVERYTHING but the ITIN number. I hope things go better for you in the future. Personally, I think the IRS beats the BCIS every time for massive bureaucratic tangles. Everyone I talked to at the IRS yesterday (I talked to 9(!!!) people before I found someone with answers) was pleasant. Then the last guy (the one with the answers) was unpleasant. Brother... As a practical matter, I know they have a tough job and this is the height of their crunch season.

I just don't want a problem at the interview. Elena lives a two day(!!!) train ride from Moscow so this HAS to work on the first pass.

Richard III