Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

No idea if what I want to do is even possible...

No idea if what I want to do is even possible...

Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:07 am
Just Joined

cmb29385 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No idea if what I want to do is even possible...

Ok, so bear with me here guys. I have no idea if what I want to do is allowed, or how. I don't know about visas, permits or any of that stuff. I will read up on it all, but right now I just need some simple answers if anyone is willing to help me.

Basically, my life is falling apart. Relationship, crumbling. Rented home, disappearing. I need to escape, to hit reset.

I have a life-long friend who lives in the USA. She moved there from the UK some 15 years ago, has an excellent job, her own home, and is married.

I'd like to go and stay with her for upto six months. I'd have a job waiting for me at home, but not much else. I'm 31, female. Ideally, I'd like to work part time, waitressing or similar, while visiting so I could pay my way.

Is this kind of thing even possible? I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me. I'm pretty desperate.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:18 am
Banned

hottoddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No idea if what I want to do is even possible...

Stand and face your demons.When your life is more stable then think about taking that big move.Trust me
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hottoddy
Stand and face your demons.When your life is more stable then think about taking that big move.Trust me
There's a lot more to it I'm afraid. I just need to know if what I'm thinking of is even possible. If it is, I'm going to put at least 6 months more thought into it. I'm not running away. I'm taking a sabbatical from my almighty sh*t storm.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

In a sense, I disagree. Forget the US (won't happen for visa-related reasons) but why not head to Thailand, Bali, South America or somewhere equally chilled for six months? For example there's plenty of casual bar work in Thai tourist hotspots and you'll be in paradise, meeting people from all over the world. You'll come back a better person.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by london_calling
In a sense, I disagree. Forget the US (won't happen for visa-related reasons) but why not head to Thailand, Bali, South America or somewhere equally chilled for six months? For example there's plenty of casual bar work in Thai tourist hotspots and you'll be in paradise, meeting people from all over the world. You'll come back a better person.
Because money is extremely limited. If I go to the US I have a place to stay, with a woman I consider family. Can I holiday there for a few months? Anything at all?
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmb29385
Because money is extremely limited. If I go to the US I have a place to stay, with a woman I consider family. Can I holiday there for a few months? Anything at all?
You can visit for 90 days, and not a minute longer, assuming you're British (or from another country that is eligible for the VWP) and have never been arrested.

You cannot work while in the US, full stop. Not for cash, not casually, and not remotely/on-line.

The US has no equivalent of the "working holiday visa" that Canada, Australia, and NZ have.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 22nd 2016 at 1:14 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 1:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot more to it I'm afraid. I just need to know if what I'm thinking of is even possible. If it is, I'm going to put at least 6 months more thought into it. I'm not running away. I'm taking a sabbatical from my almighty sh*t storm.
No, your plan as it stands is not possible. What you can do, is go to the USA for 90 days or less (you'll need to complete an ESTA application first). Go see your friend and relax. You cannot work at all while in the USA, though.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 22nd 2016 at 1:24 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 2:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by london_calling
OK staying on topic do you think suggesting that a single female should head to Thailand, Bali, South America or somewhere equally chilled.When clearly she made a point about wanting to go to the U.S because she had a friend in that country.Think about the advice you are giving.?

Last edited by hottoddy; Nov 22nd 2016 at 3:09 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:17 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

OK staying on topic do you think suggesting that a single female should head to Thailand, Bali, South America or somewhere equally chilled.When clearly she made a point about wanting to go to the U.S because she had a friend in that country.Think about the advice you are giving.?
I think the OP has been given the information she needs re;USA. FWIW, you can live very cheaply indeed in some of these places and teach english to earn a bit of money,so I think it's not bad advice at all.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I think the OP has been given the information she needs re;USA. FWIW, you can live very cheaply indeed in some of these places and teach english to earn a bit of money,so I think it's not bad advice at all.
I stand by my comment advising the O.P to hastily travel to the Far East or South America without friends or contacts is not such a good ideal.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 5:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

However. This is a USA visa and immigration forum.

In this forum we stay on topic .

If you wish to widen the horizon please link to other forums that might help if the OP wishes that. Not have a conversation here.

I thank you
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As has been said no such legal option in the US.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 7:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to go and stay with her for upto six months.
Not possible without a B-2 visa - and you're highly unlikely to get a B-2 visa if you're eligible for the VWP. Wanting more time in the US is not sufficient to get a B-2 visa... in a nutshell, the US has no interest in what you want.

I'd have a job waiting for me at home, but not much else.
And here's the reason why you won't get a B-2 visa... lack of ties to the UK.

I'd like to work part time, waitressing or similar, while visiting so I could pay my way.
You can't work on either a B-2 visa or the VWP. End of story.

Is this kind of thing even possible?
No - not in the US.

I'm pretty desperate.
It's been my experience, and have said as much for many years now, that people who are desperate make very poor decisions.

Can I holiday there for a few months?
Yes. If you're eligible for the VWP you can spend up to 90 days in the US without a visa. Complete ESTA and, if approved, get on a plane and go. Do not overstay in the US by even 1 day or you can never use the VWP again... ever. Hint: Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can visit for 90 days, and not a minute longer, assuming you're British (or from another country that is eligible for the VWP) and have never been arrested.

You cannot work while in the US, full stop. Not for cash, not casually, and not remotely/on-line.

The US has no equivalent of the "working holiday visa" that Canada, Australia, and NZ have.
Thank you to everyone for their visa related advice. Pulaski, I got arrested once in 2008 for drunk and disorderly (which to this day I am so embarrassed about that only my mum knows because she had to pick me up - cringe), I wasn't charged or anything, just made to dry out in a cell. Will that count against me then if I did the 90 day holiday?
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone for their visa related advice. Pulaski, I got arrested once in 2008 for drunk and disorderly (which to this day I am so embarrassed about that only my mum knows because she had to pick me up - cringe), I wasn't charged or anything, just made to dry out in a cell. Will that count against me then if I did the 90 day holiday?
I am not certain what the ESTA questions are, as I have never needed an ESTA, so I don't know off-hand what the impact would be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.