Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

No degree but 12yr ACCA HB1 Visa Help

No degree but 12yr ACCA HB1 Visa Help

Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

donna1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No degree but 12yr ACCA HB1 Visa Help

My husbands company are trying to get him over on an HB1 visa. (Originally it was supposed to be an LB1 but they felt it was going to take too long and they want him very quickly.)

He has no university education but qualified with the ACCA in 1999. He is a Finance Director here in the UK.

I have read so much conflicting information on what the status is regarding his education. Is his ACCA qualification worth any points. I read that without any degree one needs 12 years relevant experience but would love to know if the qualification is equivalent to a bachelor degree.

Thanks
Dx

Last edited by donna1971; Oct 28th 2011 at 2:42 pm. Reason: sent too soon
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No degree but 12yr ACCA HB1 Visa Help

Put it through someone like WES, to evaluate it. Is it equivalent to doing a 3-4 year level of study at uni? If not, probably not then, but it might knock some years off of a degree needed, I don't know.

Without a degree, it'll probably take longer to get the info together on the H1B than for the L1 though...as you'll need to get letters from all those folks he's worked with over the years stating what work he was doing, level of responsibility, career growth, that kind of thing and over a 12 year period, that could take ages, especially if companies have since gone under.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bob

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes it is a 3-4 year course with 14 exams and 3 years of practical experience. Most (but not all) UK university's and educational providers recognise the ACCA equivalent to at least a bachelors degree in accountancy though I don't know if the USA will feel the same.

D
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donna1971
My husbands company are trying to get him over on an HB1 visa. (Originally it was supposed to be an LB1 but they felt it was going to take too long and they want him very quickly.)

He has no university education but qualified with the ACCA in 1999. He is a Finance Director here in the UK.

I have read so much conflicting information on what the status is regarding his education. Is his ACCA qualification worth any points. I read that without any degree one needs 12 years relevant experience but would love to know if the qualification is equivalent to a bachelor degree.

Thanks
Dx
I'd expect a finance director to be transferred on an L1a.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

In addition to the above, I think students who study ACCA now, have the option of also getting a BSc in applied accounting from Oxford Brookes when they complete the course.

Thought that may be worth knowing.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'd expect a finance director to be transferred on an L1a.
My OH is VP finance. He came over on an E2
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen68
My OH is VP finance. He came over on an E2
That won't disadvantage him. But an L1b rather than an L1a will.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That won't disadvantage him. But an L1b rather than an L1a will.
Yes, I know, I'm sorry, I meant to reference that also but forgot. Apologies!

I presume that the co has been advised by their lawyers to go for that particular type of visa. Perhaps the person is not transferring over as an FD, but another job title which it is felt suits the l1b description better? You can go from being a big fish in a small pond to a minnow in the ocean on inter-company transfers as you move on up.

Last edited by Karen68; Oct 28th 2011 at 6:33 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies.

After a lengthy late phone call it transpires that it will be an L1a visa.

I am sure it won't be the last panic I have over the big move....

Thanks again
D