NIE

Old Aug 10th 2021, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Maree255 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIE

Hi,

Has anybody travelled from the UK to the USA recently using an NIE which has been previously issued and now has extended validity?
My husband and I (L1 and L2) were issued an NIE in March 2021. Just wondering if people had any issues using the NIE for a second trip?
Old Aug 10th 2021, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE

Originally Posted by Maree255
Hi,

Has anybody travelled from the UK to the USA recently using an NIE which has been previously issued and now has extended validity?
My husband and I (L1 and L2) were issued an NIE in March 2021. Just wondering if people had any issues using the NIE for a second trip?
Yes, I have, you’re good to go. The DHS agent at LHR T5 will have a mobile device. He will scan your passports and the NIEs will show up. Do not check in online.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Maree255 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much, good to know what to expect.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 3:04 am
Just Joined

acol is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m also interested in this. I received NIE earlier this year with child, husband was already in USA however was included in the NIE. We want to travel to UK for 2 weeks and praying this will work for us to get back to USA. Just wonder about the ‘as long as they are used for the purpose for which they were granted’ rule 🤔
Old Aug 26th 2021, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acol
I’m also interested in this. I received NIE earlier this year with child, husband was already in USA however was included in the NIE. We want to travel to UK for 2 weeks and praying this will work for us to get back to USA. Just wonder about the ‘as long as they are used for the purpose for which they were granted’ rule 🤔
You're good to go. Don't worry about this. Have the previously issued NIE at hand, and your passport numbers will be in the system already (the handheld device the DHS agent use at LHR).
Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:30 am
Just Joined

acol is an unknown quantity at this point

Destone; thank you! I’m hoping that it will be this simple. If and when we travel I will be sure to update our experience!
Old Sep 4th 2021, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

BrittoATL is an unknown quantity at this point

I go back and forth about once a month right now. It was hard at the start and lots of delays.

also don’t be worried if you get pulled into secondary in the US it’s just to clear you in a different system
Old Sep 5th 2021, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrittoATL
I go back and forth about once a month right now. It was hard at the start and lots of delays.

also don’t be worried if you get pulled into secondary in the US it’s just to clear you in a different system
It’s a hit-or-miss as to when you get pulled into secondary inspection. There’s no pattern to it despite Global Entry.
Old Sep 6th 2021, 7:35 am
Just Joined

dwl715 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick update on this from recent data from quite a few folks...
  • BA (other airlines may too) now show if you have a valid NIE when you go to the checkin desk, they dont need to call DHS and the process is much slicker than it was a month or two ago
  • No issue with using a prior NIE (even the ones which say they're only valid for 1 entry and a date etc)
  • Secondary seems to be tied into if your ESTA gets cancelled, unrelated to Global Entry. If you get an email saying your ESTA has changed state, expect secondary.