Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Newbie wanting to move USA..many questions!! Eek!!

Newbie wanting to move USA..many questions!! Eek!!

Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

pigletsweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie wanting to move USA..many questions!! Eek!!

Hi Guys/Girls

Im a mature student (30) with an uncle (who is also my step dad) who has a Candadian/brit dual passport and currently works in Canada but is going to work in USA.

Now, i am about to join Uni here, but need my degree to be completed in USA as its in psychology and needs to be accredited in USA to work there.

Wen my step dad goes to USA in few months to work, mum is joining him with my young brother on his work visa. He is well paid and mum would like a home in Florida. Mum will either join him and get young un' to comeplete school there or do his exams here and stuff him in college out there.

How could I join them? I notice he could/will become a PR but that can take many years? and I could transfer Uni in my 2nd year but need a co signed loan. If they move out there aside from Uni fees..they will pay for my living transport ect.
I do appreciate however that its a long detailed process and I have taken a realistic view spending many hours doing my homework on this though it is a tad mind boggling.

My UK degree in Psycholgy will prove harder to use than getting a USA one. I plan to do 2 years study here then try to secure funds to finish 2years in USA so hopefully a loan wont be as hard.

OR could I get over to be with them if he is my step parent (marriage before I was 16yrs but divorced and plan to re marry) though is he my step parent though him and Mum are divorced...as getting there as an Unmarried over 21 daughter (step child) is on visa site but the break in marriage confuses me as to what I would be viewed as(they are remarrying in usa)

Any help is gratefully received and i understand much of this has been asked before but I cant find some of this on the threads.

Many Thanks

Last edited by pigletsweet; Sep 12th 2009 at 5:47 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie wanting to move USA..many questions!! Eek!!

You can do your whole degree in the states, provided you have the money to pay for it.

Be aware, further education in the US is very, VERY expensive.

It's normal to pay $35000 per year for four years.

You also have to research the practicalities of transferring credit if you plan to do half/half. It might be more complicated than you think.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

So is that 20thousand english £s a year to study?

I will be living with my parents so no book fees, accomodation fees.

I didnt state that much on the sites of the Unis ive written to.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pigletsweet

You need to find the johnny foreigner rate -- it's usually rather more. Look for the international student office and they will publish a figure -- that's the figure the embassy expects to see in your bank account when they give you the visa.

Why would living with your parents remove the book fees -- are they book thieves or something?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Ha ha that made me laugh. As in just bursaries and money for anything except the course itself I wouldnt be needing.

Thank you Lol
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Start saving.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at a 2 year graduate program now that will be $65,000. And that's the local tuition fees only, not the international one or any other expenses that you would have to pay. Each is very different but none are cheap. In fact even though I really want to do this program cost will almost certainly prohibit me from doing it.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

I checked out the FEES international students are needed to have in their banks to attend and its around $25000 dollars so around 15grand..I can save 12 grand by time I go and ask dad if he will help.....After shopping around and looking on numerous college/Uni sites it seems fees range from 5grand to 30 grand a year.

Thank you guys
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

After shopping around and looking on numerous college/Uni sites it seems fees range from 5grand to 30 grand a year.
Are you sure they are international tuition fees? Seems very cheap to me and more like fees for US residents.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

The sites all say depending on the education your getting...

I will need 2 years funds since I hope to finish my education in USA as I say..by transfering..I will try to take around 20 thousand dollars and apply for a co signed loan for more if I can. Im very carefull with money and do my homework so I hope to sort something..im just not sure how all this works...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Just as a point of reference, I was paying roughly $12k a year at a community college- looking at state universities to finish my degree that jumped to anywhere from $25k-$45k for tuition alone. Allow at least $500 per semester for books and you'll have the mandatory International health insurance too.

Your bank will have to write a letter confirming you have $x in your account to pay for your education over 2 years.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Thank you ellie $12 thou? Is around 7grand British..Are you a US resident? Or international student? I can save 12grand or in dollars $20thousand by the time i want to transfer...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Thank you ellie $12 thou? Is around 7grand British..Are you a US resident? Or international student? I can save 12grand or in dollars $20thousand by the time i want to transfer...
The $12k is for community college, ie the "cheap"option. If you have already done 2 years in the UK, you will most likely transfer as a Junior to a 4 year college and complete your last 2 years there. It is the 4 year schools which are pricey. It may be worth doing some research into any scholarships you may be eligible for; there aren't many for international students, but they are out there somewhere!

I'm an international student on an F-1 so ineligible to work also.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Thank you ellie...

If you dont mind me asking, how did you raise funds?

I hope since my step dad and mum may be here and have got PR status by the time i finish my studies that I can get sponsorship to stay...but it sounds as if that takes years..If they get PR i can get a US co signed loan for funds.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

At the time I came over (07/07) the UK economy wasn't quite so bad and my parents could free up some money from investments. Because of the economy it was looking like I may have had to returned to the UK (or married my USC bf) as financially it's a lot tougher for them to support me. Luckily I managed to get an unconditional tennis scholarship which will be honored through injury (perfect for me as I have just had shoulder surgery!) for my final 2 years and for an MBA if I chose to do one. This has meant that my annual tuition has been reduced from roughly $24k to about $3k combined with a couple of academic awards they give.

It is tough not being able to work and relying solely on savings and parents etc, but it is doable- I would rather be here than anywhere else!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.