British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   New US citizen born in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/new-us-citizen-born-uk-929225/)

Marocco Nov 12th 2019 8:03 pm

New US citizen born in UK

Hi, my American wife and I just had a baby in London. He is a US citizen (his mother lived in the US well over 5 years after the age of 14). I would be grateful if someone could help with the following questions:

1. How many copies of our marriage certificate do we need in order to apply for US consular registration of our son's birth, file form N600 for a certificate of citizenship, and get him a US passport? Can we re-use the same marriage certificate for all three, if needed?
2. How long does each application normally take?
3. In order to prove that my wife satisfies the physical presence requirements for transmission of US citizenship, is it sufficient to include her university degree certificate and social security statement (the latter showing over 5 years of contributions)?

Thanks.

tht Nov 13th 2019 9:26 am

Re: New US citizen born in UK

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 12763033)
Hi, my American wife and I just had a baby in London. He is a US citizen (his mother lived in the US well over 5 years after the age of 14). I would be grateful if someone could help with the following questions:

1. How many copies of our marriage certificate do we need in order to apply for US consular registration of our son's birth, file form N600 for a certificate of citizenship, and get him a US passport? Can we re-use the same marriage certificate for all three, if needed?
2. How long does each application normally take?
3. In order to prove that my wife satisfies the physical presence requirements for transmission of US citizenship, is it sufficient to include her university degree certificate and social security statement (the latter showing over 5 years of contributions)?

Thanks.

while I don’t have the personal experience required to comment on the specific questions. As a general observation you are often required to send or present original documents. When you say copies do you mean “certified copies” ?

Marocco Nov 13th 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, by "copies" I meant original marriage certificates. We only have one left, and it doesn't seem straightforward to order additional ones from the county where we got married.

BritInParis Nov 13th 2019 12:34 pm

You apply for his Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first US passport at the same time. Filing Form N600 is not necessary. All original documents are returned to you. Processing times are around four weeks. “Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, employment records, university transcripts, current and expired passports with evidence of travel to the United States.”

Rete Nov 13th 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12763343)
You apply for his Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first US passport at the same time. Filing Form N600 is not necessary. All original documents are returned to you. Processing times are around four weeks. “Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, employment records, university transcripts, current and expired passports with evidence of travel to the United States.”

:goodpost:

Marocco Nov 14th 2019 10:01 am

Many thanks for your reply. Yeah, I think we'll skip N600 - the filing fee is too high.

Rete Nov 14th 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 12763767)
Many thanks for your reply. Yeah, I think we'll skip N600 - the filing fee is too high.

:ohmy: :banghead:

I don't usually get snarky with posters but your post which I've quoted has me doing a face plant.

Have you done any research other than finding the N600 on the USCIS website? Apparently you stopped there and didn't go further with your research.

Here is all you need to do:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...718.1573741839

The Certificate of Birth Abroad is all your child needs to prove US Citizenship. It is all I needed to show that I was a US Citizen born in Germany so that I could vote, get a US passport, etc.

All services will cost money. If you are living in poverty, I'm sorry but perhaps you can beg or borrow from relatives and repay them at a later time.