Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
{Edit} In addition, the form asks for a date for travel? What's that about? How are you supposed to commit yourself to a date when your visa hasn't even been issued! Madness!
Can't you figure out a general date for departure? The line you're talking about says 'visit'.. I wouldn't take it too overly seriously; it is a multiple use form.

If I were me, I would put a date slightly earlier than I anticipate my interview.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

No I can't figure out a general date for departure, because in between obtaining a visa and travelling I have a house to sell. I have no idea what to do about this. There's a phone number on the contact page - I guess I am calling that tomorrow!

BAH! This means I completely wasted my time applying for the old certificate last week! I bet I ain't getting my tenner back!

It's probably my doing that that webpage has been updated - I emailed the webmaster a few days ago stating the old link that was there was dead!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No I can't figure out a general date for departure, because in between obtaining a visa and travelling I have a house to sell. I have no idea what to do about this. There's a phone number on the contact page - I guess I am calling that tomorrow!

BAH! This means I completely wasted my time applying for the old certificate last week! I bet I ain't getting my tenner back!

It's probably my doing that that webpage has been updated - I emailed the webmaster a few days ago stating the old link that was there was dead!
I don't know why you wouldn't put a guesstimate date in there; you seem to enjoy the struggle though, so as you were!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

{Edit} In addition, the form asks for a date for travel? What's that about? How are you supposed to commit yourself to a date when your visa hasn't even been issued! Madness!
The form appears decidedly amateurish: in DOC format ffs, with no understanding of tabs, and no mind to layout or questions asked whatsoever. It's all very weird.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The form appears decidedly amateurish: in DOC format ffs, with no understanding of tabs, and no mind to layout or questions asked whatsoever. It's all very weird.
I remember a time not too long ago when you could only deal with the Data Protection Officer in person or snail mail. Not too convenient from far away but they didn't have email.
It's just a data collections form. <shrug>
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I have fired off an email to the address listed on the confirmation letter I got in reply to the subject access request, asking for comment.

Will post back if they reply.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

matt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nice

from the position of someone who has already gathered their documents and sent off the final checklist and is awaiting their interview date i would find it unfair if i turned up at my interview be it a month or so from now to be told that my police certificate is no good..

my point is that were it not for this forum.. 'officially' i'd have no reason to continue researching something that i'd already sorted out.

it would be like being told that you should be prepared to update any of your forms at a moments notice at any time for whatever reason even though in your mind you have done everything asked of you AT THE TIME it was asked of you. how many people that have gone through this process could honestly say that they kept checking on forms etc.. AFTER they'd applied.. there's no reason to.

i concede that there is always a cut off and that someone will suffer the 'new' rule at some stage but anyone in the same position as myself (and i'm sure there are a few) :all evidence gathered and final checklist sent off.. really shouldn't be having to fret about any changes that come into effect after the fact but i fear we will and should.

any sort of update on the website saying 'forms applied for before xx/xx/2008 will still be valid' would be nice and reasonable..

and yeah, i know life isn't fair and i should be a good little boy and just do whatever i'm asked however unreasonable it may seem.. but!
..if that was a valid answer to everything asked on this forum then there'd be no need for it at all and we should just be redirected to a holding page saying:

WE'VE ALL BEEN THROUGH THIS A MILLION TIMES. IT IS WHAT IT IS.
PLEASE STOP ASKING ABOUT OR QUESTIONING ANY PART OF 'THE PROCESS'.
:curse:

obviously my anger/frustration is with the consular service. it's been one long uninformed, badly communicated, out of date form-ed pain in the neck from day one yet everything i'm meant to do is meant to be absolutely spot on given this 'information'..
naturally if anyone wants to give a less than generous/sympathetic answer then.. feel free, i'm expecting it
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by matt72
any sort of update on the website saying 'forms applied for before xx/xx/2008 will still be valid' would be nice and reasonable..

and yeah, i know life isn't fair and i should be a good little boy and just do whatever i'm asked however unreasonable it may seem.. but!
..if that was a valid answer to everything asked on this forum then there'd be no need for it at all and we should just be redirected to a holding page saying:

WE'VE ALL BEEN THROUGH THIS A MILLION TIMES. IT IS WHAT IT IS.
PLEASE STOP ASKING ABOUT OR QUESTIONING ANY PART OF 'THE PROCESS'.
:curse:
Um, no, I wouldn't say 'life isn't fair' at this point. I would email the Consulate and ask them for an answer. Or wait for your interview letter and see IF it says anything in there. That is how we were notified of the change on our case.. there wasn't anyone posting online about our Consulate period.

I suspect that the old school Police Certs will continue to be valid for their 12 months from issue and be accepted for US visas. But you are probably not going to find a webpage that says so.

I don't really understand the last part of the rant; this forum is full of interesting discussions and some of them have happened many times over.
Pick your battles--this really isn't the stuff to get worked up about.

A change is happening.
You do know about it.
You do know where to get official information.
You do have the ability to get the new document before your interview.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

matt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nice

I don't really understand the last part of the rant; this forum is full of interesting discussions and some of them have happened many times over.
Pick your battles--this really isn't the stuff to get worked up about.

A change is happening.
You do know about it.
You do know where to get official information.
You do have the ability to get the new document before your interview.
all of the above is absolutely correct of course and i honestly do not mean to pick a fight with anyone.
looked at coldy,dispassionately and i dare say... sensibly i am prepared to be put in my place so to speak.

unfortunately this is a time of great strain.. it really isn't all just about the new £35 police check in itself.. but posting a rant at 1:30 in the morning probably wasn't that clever

getting back to the thread.. anyone with any news ('british guy' etc..) will be appreciated.

i shall apply 'observer' status from now on
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

If I haven't had a reply to my email from the police by early afternoon I will be calling to chase it.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok - some more info (not from the police, just another forum).

This has appeared, but in the non-immigrant section of the US Embassy website:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...add_crime.html

"Applicants who have, or have applied for, a Subject Access Statement

If you have applied for, or are in possession of a Subject Access Statement, and you will appear for a visa interview before August 15, 2008, the Nonimmigrant Visa Section will accept this Statement, provided it was issued within 6 months of the date of the visa interview. Applicants appearing for interviews on or after August 15 will be required to furnish the new style police certificate from the ACPO."

There appears to be no equivalent statement in the immigrant visa section of the website.

So then - does this mean that for non-immigrant visas you can still use subject access, but not for immigrant visas?!?!?!?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Bsimmer3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent of for mine 2 weeks ago and they told me 40 days which i needed it a lot quicker. I called them and they was very helpful. A woman i spoke to said give her 2 days and she will try and sort something. It took them 3 days for the police report to come through with her help. Just called them up and expalin the situationand they might help you out like they did for me.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dandy_Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea how this affects Scottish residents?

Don.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dandy_Don
Any idea how this affects Scottish residents?

Don.
Interesting question! I'd say that on your time line you are likely to need one of these. But ACPO covers only England, Wales and NI! It's an ill-thought-out balls-up by the look of it -- and you're going to fall right in to the middle of it.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote above: BAH! This means I completely wasted my time applying for the old certificate last week! I bet I ain't getting my tenner back! :

Interesting, as I've just sent off for mine and only a tenner (UK cheque) was needed and requested (Essex Police). I'm just covering all bases as my last one was 2003 (and they are stated to be valid for 12 months)

Last edited by AlanR; Feb 25th 2008 at 11:25 am. Reason: Didn't indicate that the first line was a quote from an earlier post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.