new fee for I-751 application

Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:45 am
hbd
Forum Regular

hbd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new fee for I-751 application

We just called the number listed on the form and according to the USCIS recording the current fee is $205. This suggests that the forms were updated before the policy has been officially updated. Of course, it's just as possible that someone has neglected to update the recording. Regardless, we did what the form said and called the number to find the current fee. USCIS couldn't possibly fault us . . . ;-)

Last edited by hbd; Dec 20th 2006 at 3:36 am.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point

So I called the bank to see if the bank check was cleared and guess what, they couldn't find the check!!! Apparently the teller had typed in the wrong check # and therefore even if VSC tried to cash the check they probably couldn't...arrhgg!!! so now I'll have to pay the $275 + $30 charge for not having the check cleared. I just hope we get the rejected application back soon!

sorry for venting.

one question. so if the application is rejected, does it come back or do we have to fill out another one and provide all the evidence again? so just send them the new payments?

Rukhie
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:03 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rukhie
So I called the bank to see if the bank check was cleared and guess what, they couldn't find the check!!! Apparently the teller had typed in the wrong check # and therefore even if VSC tried to cash the check they probably couldn't...arrhgg!!! so now I'll have to pay the $275 + $30 charge for not having the check cleared. I just hope we get the rejected application back soon!
You said your application was only received on Dec 14th, so it hasn't even been a full week yet. It's not uncommon for it to take several weeks for USCIS to cash their checks. Especially when you consider how many thousands of people send them checks every day, plus the fact that it's the holiday season so things slow down considerably.

I'm not sure what you mean by "apparently the teller had typed in the wrong check # and therefore even if VSC tried to cash the check they probably couldn't" -- what's that about?? I don't understand how looking to see if a check has cleared has any impact on whether the payee can cash it or not.

Also, why would you have to pay $30 because the check didn't clear by today? If your bank charges you a fee because the payee doesn't cash your check within a week, you need to change banks! Most curious...

~ Jenney
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jenney,

I was just concerned because people who had mailed the applications on 4th DEC had their checks cashed on the 7th Dec.

The bank told me that the teller has to physically add the check # since it's a bank check not a personal check, and somehow the typed in check # is how the check is monitored not by the actual check # that's on the check. I know its confusing. They said if there was an issue they'd pay the $30 charge since it was their fault. The application instructions say that if the check is not cleared, USCIS will charge us a $30 penalty.

I hope this makes sense.

I still hope you're right and they're slow cashing it.

Rukhie
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was just concerned because people who had mailed the applications on 4th DEC had their checks cashed on the 7th Dec.
You seriously need to step away from the process for a while... it's making you go insane. Why does it matter if your check was cashed already? What difference if it gets cashed a week from now... or a month from now. Your status doesn't change. Get a hobby!

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:57 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Get a hobby!

Ian
Ian, darling (can I call you darling?)

Decaffeineated would be a good choice.

I know, I know, "sanctimonious prick" and all that....but it's Christmas!

~SecretGarden
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Ian, darling (can I call you darling?)
You, my dearest SG, can call me whatever you want!

Decaffeineated would be a good choice.
Hey... I resemble that remark!

I know, I know, "sanctimonious prick" and all that....but it's Christmas!
Ah... that must be what all the hoopla is about!

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey... I resemble that remark!

Ah... that must be what all the hoopla is about!

Ian

Dont ever switch to decaf... if you did, how would I ever get my amusement out of this site?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:35 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
oooOOOOooooo, hubba hubba!

~SG
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:36 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by andrea874
Dont ever switch to decaf... if you did, how would I ever get my amusement out of this site?
Andrea, you should head to the Lounge occasionally. Terrifying but hilarious at times.....

How are you, anyway?
~SG
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:46 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The application instructions say that if the check is not cleared, USCIS will charge us a $30 penalty.
What that means is if when USCIS cashes the check and it bounces, USCIS will charge you a $30 returned check fee. Your bank may also charge you a fee if this happens. I'm not sure what the difference is between a "bank check" and a "personal check" but either way, I hope your payment doesn't bounce!

In the meantime, just relax. It does you no good to wait on the check to clear. It'll happen when it happens.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:48 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm not sure what the difference is between a "bank check" and a "personal check" but either way, I hope your payment doesn't bounce!

~ Jenney
Hiya Jenney,
I've heard the term "bank check" to describe what I would call a "cashier's check"---a check drawn on your account by the bank and written out by them. The receiving party can cash it without fear it will bounce because you've already paid the bank. So, her check should not bounce, which is a good thing!

~SG
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:24 pm
David L. Beem

Hi Jenney,
    > You said your application was only received on Dec 14th, so it hasn't
    > even been a full week yet. It's not uncommon for it to take several
    > weeks for USCIS to cash their checks. Especially when you consider
    > how many thousands of people send them checks every day, plus the
    > fact that it's the holiday season so things slow down considerably...
An interesting tidbit is USCIS imprints the receipt number on the back
of the check. I doubt it is large enough to see in the scan for most online
banking for an early indication of case status before your bank statement or
I-797 comes in though. When I originally submitted an I-129F with the wrong
amount (that of the I-130) the check was returned to me, without any other
indication that the whole packet (returned as well) was assigned a receipt
number. Only seeing that imprint later, and plugging it into the case status
online revealed that it did (and needed to be closed by writing USCIS).
David
[email protected]

Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

NOLA_Dave is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by David L. Beem
Hi Jenney,
    > You said your application was only received on Dec 14th, so it hasn't
    > even been a full week yet. It's not uncommon for it to take several
    > weeks for USCIS to cash their checks. Especially when you consider
    > how many thousands of people send them checks every day, plus the
    > fact that it's the holiday season so things slow down considerably...
An interesting tidbit is USCIS imprints the receipt number on the back
of the check. I doubt it is large enough to see in the scan for most online
banking for an early indication of case status before your bank statement or
I-797 comes in though. When I originally submitted an I-129F with the wrong
amount (that of the I-130) the check was returned to me, without any other
indication that the whole packet (returned as well) was assigned a receipt
number. Only seeing that imprint later, and plugging it into the case status
online revealed that it did (and needed to be closed by writing USCIS).
David
[email protected]

I took a look at my check online, and sure enough, there was a number handwritten on the back of it. It started with "SRC" and then had 10 numbers (SRC XXXXXXXXXX). I tried punching this into the online case status, however, and got a "case not found". Too early? Wrong number?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:23 am
I'm back!

Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave
I took a look at my check online, and sure enough, there was a number handwritten on the back of it. It started with "SRC" and then had 10 numbers (SRC XXXXXXXXXX). I tried punching this into the online case status, however, and got a "case not found". Too early? Wrong number?
Apparently you can only check the status of a pending I-751 once you've got your biometrics letter. It's a very new feature (since July, I think?) so I'm sure there are still lots of kinks to work out.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.