when one gets the citizenship?

I feel sick of people calling my name wrongly since it's hard for them to
pronounce properly. However, I heard that one can change his or her first
name when gets the citizenship. Is it true and what is the necessary steps
to get this done?

Great thanks for any advice!

Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:57 am
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New American name and citizenship

not wise, in my view.

Name change has a lot of hustle esp if you have built up a lot of documentation trail in this country eg all the way from birth certificates, to passport, social security etc.

Those people need to learn your name, or use an AKA (also known as), which most documents allow eg if your name is Ahmadinejad, call yourself AKA Ahmed and so on.

Will you seriously change your name to suit other people's interest just because you just got citizenship? What if some people have a hard time learning or pronouncing the second name you choose, will you change that as well?
Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=trasmus][QUOTE=Wendy]
pronounce properly. QUOTE]

Trust me I know how you feel. I'm a born USC and people have a hard time pronouncing my first and last name all of the time, but I would never change it, because I have become accustomed to the mispronunciations by now. No need to get all bent out of shape when they say your name wrong, just tell them the correct pronunciation.

My husband's name is Kjetil, but since it is an unusual name in America and people can't pronounce it, he tells them to call him Keith(which is the americanzied version of his name). As with myself, my middle name is Michelle, so I sometimes tell them to call me that instead. Can get tiring I know, but think long and hard before changing your birth name, you don't want to end up regretting it.

Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2005, 11:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi everyone, is there anyone knows the rule regarding change the first name when one gets the citizenship?
On the N-400 form, indicate that you want to change your name. At the interview, you will complete a Petition for Name Change form. At the oath ceremony, your new name will become binding and your Certificate of Naturalization will be issued in your new name. Once you have the CoN, you can change your name on all other documents... Social Security, driver's license, etc.

I would ignore what the other posters have said, you should do what you feel comfortable doing... it's your life, after all.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone, is there anyone knows the rule regarding change the first name

to get this done?

If you truly want to change it, then do so, or you could just use a
nickname like Michelle's husband, which is just as easy, solves the
problem but avoids the legal name change. FWIW, I would not change
it only for others' convenience but if you want a new name to go with
your "new life", then go for it----but please don't do any funky spellings
like "Kloey" or "Makinzee"!!
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
On the N-400 form, indicate that you want to change your name. At the interview, you will complete a Petition for Name Change form. At the oath ceremony, your new name will become binding and your Certificate of Naturalization will be issued in your new name. Once you have the CoN, you can change your name on all other documents... Social Security, driver's license, etc.

I would ignore what the other posters have said, you should do what you feel comfortable doing... it's your life, after all.

Ian
Why should she ignore what I've said? I never told her NOT to change it, only to think carefully before she does. As you have said, it's her life so the ultimate decision will be up to her.

Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

to get this done?

When you complete the N-400 there is a section that asks if you wish to change your name. It can be your entire name, just the first name or just the last name. The choice is yours. Your naturalization will be issued in the name of your choice. As for other documents that have your former name you can change those to reflect the new name, i.e. driver's license, etc. or perhaps you might want to keep your present first name and just add a new middle name, i.e. pick a nickname that you like based on your first name and add that as your middle name. In that way you retain your given birth name and add on a simplified name for daily life.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

BTW, you can have a look at the form here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/f...iles/N-400.pdf

Just a thought, when you do change your name, don't get rid of the documents with your old name on them, because you never know when you might need them again. Whether it be in the US or back in your country of origin.

Michelle

Last edited by trasmus; Jun 30th 2005 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Quyrah_RV is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wendy,

Yes, it is very easy to change your name. I come from Canada and in Canada on my birth certificiate it is written (ex: Cynthia Darleen Abigal Smith)
Well, In Canada everyone would know me as Cynthia or Cyndee. But just before leaving Canada, there was an issue with my name, I won't go into all the details but I hated my first name so started to use my second name. Well, people fussed etc. Well, when I came to the states, I just started going by my second name and noone ever said boo hoo or anything. When I applied for my naturalization I filled in the part to have my name changed to reflect what I wanted (as Rete stated) and had no problem. Then wgat was funny was that my green card came in with my second name first then my first name initial and them my now married name. When I went for my naturalization interview the interviewer asked how this happened. I told her I have no idea since I don't work for immigration but I just took the green card and said nothing. I did put in for my second name to appear as my first and my first to appear as my second and dropped the third. Well there was NO problem and it was done so easy. Now let me just tell you that the names I used are fictious in this email, personally I wouldn't want any of those names, LOL, but I had NO problem and when I got my naturalization certificate the judge also handed me my new name change certificate to keep with my paperwork. They did tell me to keep it safe because that was my proof that my name change went through. I was so glad. So now I'm officially allowed to use my second name as my first and everything is in it already so I've had no extra hassles for anything. So if you want to change your name girl, go for it. I really wish you the best. I too had a very difficult name and their were problems but hey, they gave me the option, I took it. Although now in Canada I still have my birth cert's and everything there by the name I was known there. Although I am looking into how to change it there so when it comes time to collect my pensions there I will be able to without problems. Best of luck on your name change!

Quyrah (formerly Mtl, now TN Now US Citizen)
RV (formerly TX, now TN, always US Citizen)

to get this done?

Last edited by Quyrah_RV; Jun 30th 2005 at 2:56 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trasmus
I never told her NOT to change it, only to think carefully before she does.
Actually, you told her to "just tell them the correct pronunciation" which is pretty much what she doesn't want to do any more since "I feel sick of people calling my name wrongly". So, instead of actually answering her question about the steps to take to change her name, you commented on how you dealt with it, said "no need to get all bent out of shape" and pretty much told her to suck it up. With that in mind, I suggested she ignore what was said.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, you told her to "just tell them the correct pronunciation" which is pretty much what she doesn't want to do any more since "I feel sick of people calling my name wrongly". So, instead of actually answering her question about the steps to take to change her name, you commented on how you dealt with it, said "no need to get all bent out of shape" and pretty much told her to suck it up. With that in mind, I suggested she ignore what was said.

Ian
Actually, I was telling her how to deal with the problem of people mispronouncing her name until she can get her name change done. Unless, she can get it done instantly without a waiting period, because I have no idea how far along she is with her immigration process. There will be a period where she will keep her original name before the change happens. Unless you have a better suggestion of course.

Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has a two-part last name. The second half of it is almost unpronounceable....so if he ever becomes a citizen, he's planning to drop that second half and just keep the easy first half as his last name. I just changed my name to his, and I only changed it to the easy first half also.

Sadegh's two main reasons for wanting to become a citizen are: to get a USA passport to make travel easier....and to finally get rid of that long last name! LOL

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by trasmus
I was telling her how to deal with the problem of people mispronouncing her name until she can get her name change done.
Yah... whatever!

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yah... whatever!

Ian

My sentiments exactly.

Michelle
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:19 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

to get this done?

Hmmm. "Wendy" doesnt seem that hard to pronounce to me.

Marnee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.