Nervousness

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 2:30 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervousness

Originally posted by Lisa Simmonds
I hardly know anyone, i already know its going to be a complete culture shock to me. I can already tell I'll probably be scared to go out in public for a while, and turn into a hermit for a bit.

It's very scary!!
Lisa, your fears and apprehensions are totally normal. But there are things you can do to help alleviate them.

First, although it may be difficult, try to look at the glass as half-full as often as you can. Feel thankful you're moving to an English-speaking country, with similar traditions and culture (tv shows, music, modern conveniences, etc.). Assuming you end up in Maine, you are moving to an area of the country that is quite pristine and has massive amounts of natural beauty. Maine is not very populated, so you'll benefit from the small-town feel of the state as well.

Second -- and more importantly -- DO NOT turn into a hermit!! The worst thing you can do is cut yourself off and not interact with your new community somehow. Get a job (when legally possible), take a class (non-credit, just for fun, like painting or dancing), join a community organization like Habitat for Humanity -- anything that puts you in an environment where you're meeting other people.

You don't have to necessarily make friends with everyone you meet in these venues. But involving yourself with Americans doing everyday things is what will help assist you in acclimating yourself to living in the United States. People will most likely be interested in where your from, and will probably have lots of questions for you. I'm assuming you have an accent, so you'll be a dead giveaway! Use this to your advantage. When they ask you about Australia, answer their question but follow up with, "And what about in the United States?" Getting a dialogue going with people is the best way to learn about this new culture, and make it seem much less scary to you.

Lastly, when I left the United States to live in Chile for a few years, it helped me to look at it as an adventure and an opportunity to expand my horizons. Like you, I knew ahead of time that I would suffer from culture shock, but I tried as best I could to look at the experience as a positive, not a negative. I reminded myself of all the times my friends had said to me, "Wow, you really have a lot of guts -- I wouldn't be able to up and move to another country like that!!" That made me feel really proud of my accomplishments, the fact that I overcame my fears and, in time, adapted to my "new homeland."

Whatever you do, be sure to continue sharing your feelings -- bad and good -- with your fiance. It would really hinder your progress if you kept them to yourself. Good luck!!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 4:27 pm
Lisa Simmonds

"robmcintosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Feel sorry for me, I've
    : gotta move to Texas ... and I heard a rumour the other day that it doesnt rain
    : every day, the sky's are blue (not grey) and it can get quite warm !!! I'm even
    : thinkin about buyin a pair of shorts to take. naaaaaah ! can't be true ! nowhere
    : could be like that ?

Oh, it is true... thats where I was for three months

Old Aug 4th 2002, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

ladymcbride is an unknown quantity at this point

hi lisa,

I am from Maine, but further up north than lewiston and yes, in the sticks but really love it here. Yes, the people are very friendly and I'm sure you will have lots and lots of friends. I am going through a K-1 visa myself and just send in my I-129F petetion july 31. My fiance' probably feels like you do although he has no doubts about us. I would move over to england in a heartbeat but have kids I cannot move with me. If you ever need someone to talk to please contact me and i can answer any of your questions about maine. Best of Luck, Robin

[email protected]