Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Need to move home after huge medical issues - broke and homeless

Need to move home after huge medical issues - broke and homeless

Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:09 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to move home after huge medical issues - broke and homeless

Ultimately you just need to get back to the UK, you need to have some money on you, but the first thing you need to do is pick an area you know, go to the local council and talk so someone the first day you are back.

As others have said you'll have free health care and its highly likely that very night you'll be put into some sort of accommodation, most probably a bedsit of some kind. In about a month to 6 months you'll get disability housing specially designed around your needs and possibly a carer if need be.

I know all this as my mother is disabled from polio. Quite frankly your life as a disabled person in the UK is a very high quality of life. So as soon as you get the flight money and i'd say save up at least $2000 (as dodgy as this is, i would not declare that to the UK borough council, might affect your benefits) you should go. You can save that by simply paying nothing on your next months bills and just leaving, might be irresponsible but if its the only way for you to leave, then so be it. Being disabled in the USA with no health benefits is akin to a life sentence poverty and loneliness. Sadly my wifes father is being taken care of by state care in Florida, its a little like one flew over the cockoo's nest there.

If I was in the UK right now i'd help you out first few days but sadly i'm here, i wonder if anyone else might be able to help.

I would certainly call your local consulate for advice though.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

sorry about your situation, sent you a PM
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:55 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by picaflor
Have you been in contact with your local GB consulate or the embassy in Washington? I am guessing they must have experience of precedence like this to help and maybe best to advise since they are not in the UK (as opposed to local councils with immediate local concerns).

The only thing I can say, is to work on the move hopefully with consular help. I can only ad that if the consular system helps with UK citizens in foreign jails they presumably have a channel of help for your case.
Send an email to Citizens Advice.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:21 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Just watched a fascinating programme about benefit cheats and angles and this showed a brit returning from spain with a child and nothing and she got lots of help - she was not the cheat it showed how she was helped by a housing association that helped her get on her feet again. So I think there is lots out there if you need it. Why not contact the council where you were before and explain it all and see what they have to say. You just need to find someone to put you up for a while and then hopefully everything else will fall into place.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
Just watched a fascinating programme about benefit cheats and angles and this showed a brit returning from spain with a child and nothing and she got lots of help - she was not the cheat it showed how she was helped by a housing association that helped her get on her feet again. So I think there is lots out there if you need it. Why not contact the council where you were before and explain it all and see what they have to say. You just need to find someone to put you up for a while and then hopefully everything else will fall into place.
I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall certain people (e.g., staying with a parent) makes you less eligible for free housing - something to do with the idea that you already have "appropriate" housing and if you chose to move out you would be making yourself voluntarily homeless. (Maybe this was to do with eligibility for a homeless shelter rather than council housing). Worth looking into - the technicalities of some of these things can mean you shoot yourself in the foot by being too resourceful!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:45 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall certain people (e.g., staying with a parent) makes you less eligible for free housing - something to do with the idea that you already have "appropriate" housing and if you chose to move out you would be making yourself voluntarily homeless. (Maybe this was to do with eligibility for a homeless shelter rather than council housing). Worth looking into - the technicalities of some of these things can mean you shoot yourself in the foot by being too resourceful!
He cant stay with his mom though.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
He cant stay with his mom though.
Yes, I read that part of the OP, but things change - you never know what is round the corner and from years of reading on here, it's surprising how much information either changes or isn't quite what you read into a first few posts.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

As an Adult he wouldnt be expecetd to live with his parents... He needs to present to the council, speak to a disability social worker...Theyll get the ball rolling...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn' there some sort of assistance office for people arriving in Heathrow airport?
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...g-1379254.html
Theres a place at the airport called the Heathrow care centre.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:08 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

My thoughts are with you mate, your situation certainly snapped me out of my own misery and put my problems into perspective, don't really have much advice about the move back to the UK but as far as the depression goes one thing I've learned is "Nothing Lasts" change happens, hang in their buddy.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:25 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by mutley1966
Hi all,

I am currently in the USA but need to move home as I cannot work. My work visa is valid through to 2015, but last year I had an accident. To cut a long story short, a slip and broken leg turned into a 40 week layoff, a left below knee amputation, brain surgery to remove infected abscess and to cap it all a liver transplant. Need less to say that is quite life changing and I am now diagnosed with chronic depression. Due to the meds etc. I am not really able to work, I currently turn up and thats about it, which is very difficult. I can sign off on benefits but it is not enough to live on as I qualify for not a lot being Johnny
Foreigner.

I therefore need to return home, as I have been away since 2009, I think I should pass the HRT test, but the problem is I am disabled (prosthetic), on permanent meds which tire me out easily, have about 400GBP and nowhere to go.

Dont like the odds of getting any help really, but does anyone have any suggestions? I have my mother in the UK but due to personal circumstance there is no chance of being taken in there. I don't really have any friends to speak of that can take me in either. I am a bit panicky now and am seeking advice everywhere. Councils have all replied in emails they cant even hint if I would "possibly" qualify for anything and told me i have to turn up to get any questions answered, which is pretty hard while I'm over here.

Any suggestions, help, advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chips in.

M.
This might be an off-the-wall idea, but you might try contacting some amputee charities. My limited knowledge from working on a couple of research projects with amputees is that some of them offer advice and support (i.e., they do more than help with rehab). A couple are the Douglas Bader Association and the Limbless Association. Might be worth having a look at their Web sites. Good luck - I'm sure when you get back you will find more social support than you have in the US.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wasn' there some sort of assistance office for people arriving in Heathrow airport?
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...g-1379254.html
Theres a place at the airport called the Heathrow care centre.
Heathrowtravelcare.co.uk