British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Need to move home after huge medical issues - broke and homeless (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/need-move-home-after-huge-medical-issues-broke-homeless-783158/)

mutley1966 Jan 9th 2013 7:33 pm

Need to move home after huge medical issues - broke and homeless

Hi all,

I am currently in the USA but need to move home as I cannot work. My work visa is valid through to 2015, but last year I had an accident. To cut a long story short, a slip and broken leg turned into a 40 week layoff, a left below knee amputation, brain surgery to remove infected abscess and to cap it all a liver transplant. Need less to say that is quite life changing and I am now diagnosed with chronic depression. Due to the meds etc. I am not really able to work, I currently turn up and thats about it, which is very difficult. I can sign off on benefits but it is not enough to live on as I qualify for not a lot being Johnny
Foreigner.

I therefore need to return home, as I have been away since 2009, I think I should pass the HRT test, but the problem is I am disabled (prosthetic), on permanent meds which tire me out easily, have about 400GBP and nowhere to go.

Dont like the odds of getting any help really, but does anyone have any suggestions? I have my mother in the UK but due to personal circumstance there is no chance of being taken in there. I don't really have any friends to speak of that can take me in either. I am a bit panicky now and am seeking advice everywhere. Councils have all replied in emails they cant even hint if I would "possibly" qualify for anything and told me i have to turn up to get any questions answered, which is pretty hard while I'm over here.

Any suggestions, help, advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chips in.

M.

picaflor Jan 9th 2013 7:49 pm

Re: Need to move home after huge medical issues - broke and homeless

Originally Posted by mutley1966 (Post 10473966)
Hi all,

I am currently in the USA but need to move home as I cannot work. My work visa is valid through to 2015, but last year I had an accident. To cut a long story short, a slip and broken leg turned into a 40 week layoff, a left below knee amputation, brain surgery to remove infected abscess and to cap it all a liver transplant. Need less to say that is quite life changing and I am now diagnosed with chronic depression. Due to the meds etc. I am not really able to work, I currently turn up and thats about it, which is very difficult. I can sign off on benefits but it is not enough to live on as I qualify for not a lot being Johnny
Foreigner.

I therefore need to return home, as I have been away since 2009, I think I should pass the HRT test, but the problem is I am disabled (prosthetic), on permanent meds which tire me out easily, have about 400GBP and nowhere to go.

Dont like the odds of getting any help really, but does anyone have any suggestions? I have my mother in the UK but due to personal circumstance there is no chance of being taken in there. I don't really have any friends to speak of that can take me in either. I am a bit panicky now and am seeking advice everywhere. Councils have all replied in emails they cant even hint if I would "possibly" qualify for anything and told me i have to turn up to get any questions answered, which is pretty hard while I'm over here.

M.

Have you been in contact with your local GB consulate or the embassy in Washington? I am guessing they must have experience of precedence like this to help and maybe best to advise since they are not in the UK (as opposed to local councils with immediate local concerns).

The only thing I can say, is to work on the move hopefully with consular help. I can only ad that if the consular system helps with UK citizens in foreign jails they presumably have a channel of help for your case.

mutley1966 Jan 9th 2013 7:51 pm

Hadnt thought of talking to the consulate over here. Thank you squire!

bromleygirl Jan 9th 2013 7:53 pm

Can you not claim unemployment for 6 months as you have previously worked and was laid off? doesn't matter if you are a foreigner or not if you have paid in you can claim. Between that and possibly food stamps, food bank etc I know it's not ideal but could you get by for the time being?

mutley1966 Jan 9th 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10474000)
Can you not claim unemployment for 6 months as you have previously worked and was laid off? doesn't matter if you are a foreigner or not if you have paid in you can claim. Between that and possibly food stamps, food bank etc I know it's not ideal but could you get by for the time being?

Yes, i am in the 6 month trial return to work period and can get long term disability, but it's at 60% salary which is nothing. Wouldn't pay rent anywhere.

Cape Blue Jan 9th 2013 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mutley1966 (Post 10473966)
Hi all,

Foreigner.

M.

Can't help you I'm afraid, but you have my sympathies, horrible experience to have to go through.

Sue Jan 9th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 10474000)

I don't think You can't claim benefits (unemployment/food stamps etc) if you are here on a work visa, you have to have a green card or be a citizen and I "think" you have to have paid in for 40 quarters in order to qualify.

mutley1966, so sorry to read about all you have gone through. Can you clarify are you in the US on a green card or a visa?

ldollard Jan 9th 2013 10:47 pm

Its three yrs of residency then he can apply for a green card.

Also whats HRT, surely you can just move home. I'm really sorry about your experiences...

bromleygirl Jan 9th 2013 11:27 pm

HRT is the habitual residency test that the UK benefits systems uses to assess if you are now resident again. Legally, British citizens are habitually resident the day they arrive back in the UK if they intend to remain and can be proved by registering with a GP for example.

mutley1966 Jan 9th 2013 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10474321)
Its three yrs of residency then he can apply for a green card.

Also whats HRT, surely you can just move home. I'm really sorry about your experiences...

you gotta laugh, yes, they reckon HRT....hahaha

mutley1966 Jan 9th 2013 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10474216)
I don't think You can't claim benefits (unemployment/food stamps etc) if you are here on a work visa, you have to have a green card or be a citizen and I "think" you have to have paid in for 40 quarters in order to qualify.

mutley1966, so sorry to read about all you have gone through. Can you clarify are you in the US on a green card or a visa?

5 years - $1200 = 1 SSI credit, and you can only earn 4 a year. I would make the 20 total you need by end of feb, but then its a case of because of my visa (green card in processing for god knows how long) can I get any. I get disability from work insurance if i go off, but its nothing.

mutley1966 Jan 9th 2013 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10474216)

Sorry Sue, 1st extension of an H1B with green card application in, but that will take forever. only been in since end 2011, 4 months before i had the accident (Jan 2012)

Sue Jan 10th 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by mutley1966 (Post 10474402)
Sorry Sue, 1st extension of an H1B with green card application in, but that will take forever. only been in since end 2011, 4 months before i had the accident (Jan 2012)

ah ok, check on that then because it's my understanding that if you are on a H1 visa you wouln't be entitled to claim any benefits in the US. I'm also assuming that your Green Card application is employment based and sponsored by your employer, so one wonders if the application would be approved given your current circumstances. Is your employer helping you at all? Eg Would they be willing to pay for your flight back to the UK?

Have you narrowed down areas in the UK that you are hoping to move back to?

Giantaxe Jan 10th 2013 2:46 am

Originally Posted by mutley1966 (Post 10474023)
Yes, i am in the 6 month trial return to work period and can get long term disability, but it's at 60% salary which is nothing. Wouldn't pay rent anywhere.

If you paid for long term disability with post-tax dollars, then the 60% payments won't be taxable. Worth checking. Some explanation here:

http://www.longtermdisabilityanderis...nefits-taxable

pompeyblonde Jan 10th 2013 3:25 am

What an experience! So sorry to hear about it.....

if you do return to the UK its worth speaking to the local disability team, I can remember dealing with similiar cases when I worked in the UK, as you may know theres been a huge shake up of disability benefits etc in the UK of late... However, atleast you'd get free health care and you might be able to apply for housing as Im sure you'd be classed as a resident once you arrive back.

Best of luck