Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Need HELP -- Lost Vaccination Records!

Wikiposts

Need HELP -- Lost Vaccination Records!

Old Apr 4th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need HELP -- Lost Vaccination Records!

Ok, bear with me and just take my word that my fiance will not be able to obtain her vaccination records. With that said, I do know what she needs to show proof of (correct me if wrong):

1. mumps
2. measles
3. rubella
4. polio
5. tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
6. pertussis
7. Haemophilus influenzae type b
8. hepatitis B

I also know that the medical examiner at the 'medical' will tell her what is neccesary specifically for her. I have heard that since she is 21 (over 18) she does not need hep. b. Since she has no record available, what would you guys recomemnd she do. I do know that if for any reason they want hep. b than there are 3 series of shots (0days, 1-2 months, 6 months). If she has no record of hep. b how many of these shots are required to have proof of (aka how many does she need to get done, regardless of the fact she has had it done before). Additionally, she has most likely had all the #1-7 above done as a child, as they were required for school.... but once again no records to prove it--truest me we looked into every option to find records, to no avail. Is there a test to find out what is in her 'blood' already and can get the rest done. Time is the issue, so can she just get them all again?

In short, my primary concern is this: how long in time (days, etc) will it take worst case to get all required vaccinations again if she needs to? I think all of them can be done in one day except hep. b, which requires a series of shots... but again, does she need all hep. b shots, etc.... can they test her blood to see if the series of hep. b was already done... is she too old to need it anyways?

Thanks a TON folks, I really appreciate your help! This is actually REALLY important to us... so if you can help please try to do so asap, we need to have her see the doc monday so she can get anything done befoer the actual medical interview (although I know they will do vaccinations for you there) just to be safe--especially if we need to start another series of hep b. shots.

thanks! -Steve

Last edited by Steve2003; Apr 4th 2003 at 1:58 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve I am going to bump a thread I posted earlier today that says "We should all read this", it is titled something like that anyways. Read it and follow the link from Sunny.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 2:23 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I don't think a 21 yr old needs the polio, although I had my medical in the US. I had had it from my GP in the UK but was told it wouldn't have been required. MMR and DTP are the main ones - I'm sure your fiancee won't need Hep B if you are over 19.

If you're unsure get the polio as it's given orally anyway ( although they didn't give me the 'sugar lump' as I was an adult and it tastes foul..lol).

Get what you can from your GP as they are usually free or would almost certainly cost less than from the Embassy physician. Plus they will stagger them over the recommended timeframe instead of just giving them to you all at once by using multiple sites which personally I am inclined against.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi,

My husband was tested at his local GP in England for the MMR(measles, mumps, rubella).

He was tested for the varicella(chickenpox) and HepB recently here in the US.

I'm sure you can get tested for the others if you need it.

By the way, when my husband(then fiance) had his medical in the UK for the K1 visa he was only checked for the MMR and Td(Tetanus/diptheria) because the other ones were not age appropriate. He is over 19. I'm not sure if it depends on what country your fiance hails from in regards to the types of vaccinations they want, you may need to double check the US Embassy's website in her country

We are not sure if you will eventually need varicella and HepB for the AOS, we're still trying to figure that out ourselves.

Good luck

Kat and Chris
(US and UK)
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:25 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by katnap8
Hi,

My husband was tested at his local GP in England for the MMR(measles, mumps, rubella).

He was tested for the varicella(chickenpox) and HepB recently here in the US.

I'm sure you can get tested for the others if you need it.

By the way, when my husband(then fiance) had his medical in the UK for the K1 visa he was only checked for the MMR and Td(Tetanus/diptheria) because the other ones were not age appropriate. He is over 19. I'm not sure if it depends on what country your fiance hails from in regards to the types of vaccinations they want, you may need to double check the US Embassy's website in her country

We are not sure if you will eventually need varicella and HepB for the AOS, we're still trying to figure that out ourselves.

Good luck

Kat and Chris
(US and UK)
Probably depends upon the physician but I just confirmed that I had previously contracted chickenpox, which is the varicella virus.. offered to show them my scars an' all which they respectfully declined...
Old Apr 5th 2003, 6:19 am
Jewels

Default Re: Need HELP -- Lost Vaccination Records!

lairdside wrote in message news:...
    > Originally posted by katnap8
Right now the varicella vaccination is optional through-out the US. As
an adult if you have not had the varicella, "get the vaccination"

For my own children I opted out of the vaccination because the
vaccination is not 100% guaranteed that you will not get it. Since I
have primarily girls, I would prefer they contract chicken pox at a
young age rather than take a chance when they become older or possibly
pregnant and contract it.

I do not believe this vaccination is mandatory if it is not mandatory
for childhood immunizations.
MMR,DPT,Hep B..etc are.

Old Apr 5th 2003, 9:01 pm
Howling at the Moon

" Right now the varicella vaccination is optional through-out the US. As an adult if you have not had the varicella, "get the vaccination""

If you are in the UK you can't - as the varicella vaccine is not available in the UK. You'd have to wait until you got to the U.S..