Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Ray7272's questions re E-2 visa with US PR spouse

Ray7272's questions re E-2 visa with US PR spouse

Old Oct 20th 2018, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Ray7272 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ray7272's questions re E-2 visa with US PR spouse

Hi,
I couldn't figure out how to create a new topic so I am posting my question here.
I'm applying for an E2 visa for myself and 2 children. My spouse has a green card and is recently moved to the US. Is there any reason they can deny a visa since my wife is a US green card holder? I have put the money in an escrow account and am ready to operate the business. It employs 9 people and is poorly managed. The Business plan is solid and we're confident we can turnaround the business. Appreciate any guidance.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 marrying green card holder soon to be USC

Originally Posted by Ray7272
Hi,
I couldn't figure out how to create a new topic so I am posting my question here.
I'm applying for an E2 visa for myself and 2 children. My spouse has a green card and is recently moved to the US. Is there any reason they can deny a visa since my wife is a US green card holder? I have put the money in an escrow account and am ready to operate the business. It employs 9 people and is poorly managed. The Business plan is solid and we're confident we can turnaround the business. Appreciate any guidance.
I assume you have also had this chat with your Lawyer who will of course know the full details, there can always be something but assuming the application meets all the requirements for an E2 then you should be OK.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 12:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ray7272's questions re E-2 visa with US PR spouse

Hi Ray7272,

I created a new thread for you.

Rene
Old Oct 20th 2018, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

I’ve spoken with 3 lawyers in detail and they have a different opinion. One says it’s a non issue as there is no possibility of an immediate immigration as spouse of LPR. The other 2 thinks that it could be a cause for refusal.
I don’t have any intentions to immigrate but just do a business and stay there till the going is good. Is there any lawyer who can share their opinion or someone who has gone through the process. Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2018, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

I doubt a LPR Spouse or a USC Spouse would be an issue, I would be more focused on the rest of it.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

My spouse has a green card and is recently moved to the US. Is there any reason they can deny a visa since my wife is a US green card holder?
Does your wife plan to stay in the US long-term? The powers-that-be tend to presume the 'permanent' part of 'legal permanent resident' will be taken literally, so I can see this possibly raising questions. Do you intend to leave as a family at the end of your E-2?
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Ideally she'd want to become a citizen and that will take another 5 years. But we're flexible as a family. I mean we're also open to the possibility of her surrendering the GC if the officer has to be convinced. But the preference would be to just get the E2 and move.
Since she's already in the US, I will apply for myself and 2 kids and not for her. The lawyer said I can't file for her as she's a resident already.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 10:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally she'd want to become a citizen and that will take another 5 years. But we're flexible as a family. I mean we're also open to the possibility of her surrendering the GC if the officer has to be convinced. But the preference would be to just get the E2 and move.
Since she's already in the US, I will apply for myself and 2 kids and not for her. The lawyer said I can't file for her as she's a resident already.
One thing that isn't totally clear -- are your two children with the LPR spouse?
Old Oct 20th 2018, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

No. The children will be on E2, ages - 12 and 4.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

E2's can be renewed indefinitely btw.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been married? Why didn't you get a Green Card as a derivative of your spouses?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

15 years. My wife never lived there and filed for extension to stay outside US. I was denied in 2011 on the grounds that she isn’t in US. We then never pursued the GC as we were living abroad.
Now circumstances have changed and she’s in US and I have options to either be there or here. Since we want to be together hence I’m trying E2.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

How I am getting confused.

She had a GC

She has not been in the US for 15 years.

How did she maintain the US as her Permanent Residency?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 2:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

No. The children will be on E2, ages - 12 and 4.
We may be at cross purposes here — is your wife the mother of the children?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

15 years. My wife never lived there and filed for extension to stay outside US. I was denied in 2011 on the grounds that she isn’t in US. We then never pursued the GC as we were living abroad.
Now circumstances have changed and she’s in US and I have options to either be there or here. Since we want to be together hence I’m trying E2.
I know these questions have nothing to do with your original question, but your info on your wife's green card status has many of us wondering how and why and when she received a green card, why she received a green card while not living in the US (lottery perhaps???) and why she never lived in the US after receiving it, how she was able to apply for an extension <???> to stay outside of the US for nearly a decade without losing her residency status, why the children didn't get green cards at the same time as their mother (if she is their mother that is) and why you weren't included in her initial green card petition if you were married to each other at the time.

While there are some here who read the USCIS laws, most of our knowledge comes from the experiences of others. To me, at least, you and your wife's experience with her green card is a scenario I've not seen before and I'm just trying to understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.