Wikiposts

Need Advice,please

Old Aug 24th 2001, 7:02 pm
Ramic

I am green card holder for a 4,7 years. I live in Atlanta. My husband live in Europe,
we are in marriage 6 months.I fill for him I -130 forms (pettion for alien relative
F2p) but we are must wait long loooong time until they aprove. I plan to go trough
naturalisation. But problam is that i give INS my green card to replace some error
(made ba INS) and update my biographic data. They told me that green card replace can
take 6 months up to one year and after that I can fill naturalisation forms and wait
year or more to become citizen and to my husband come to US. I plan to go to Europe
(Bosnia) and live with my husband until INS fifished paperworork or one part. Its to
long to be separate. My questions are:
1) Is problem to travel outside US and come back later without green card (I allreade
to that before 2 years with US stamp in passport)
2) How long I can be outside US and not lose LPS status and right to fill
natiralisaton forms soon.
3)Is there any way to cominicate with INS form Europe, fill forms, contact...
4) Are they any risks form my LPR status.....
5) Any sugestions for our case..

Please if you know something that will help us please contact me....

(please reply on newsgroups and my e-mail: [email protected])

Thx

Old Aug 27th 2001, 11:58 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

ramic wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Fine so far, but I think it will take less than six months.

>

Wrong! You can file Form N-400 4 years and 9 months after you obtained permanent
resident status, regardless of whether you have a correct Permanent Resident card in
your hand. The N-400 does not require that a PR card be filed with it.

and wait year or more to
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

(I hope that two-year absence did not break the continuity of your residence towards
naturalization. You should check that carefully.)

You must go to your INS district office and get your passport stamped again (with the
one-year I-551 stamp), before you leave the U.S., and you may join your husband for
awhile. Also, you should not remain outside the U.S. for more than one year, because
you are not supposed to break the continuity of residence towards naturalization.
Also, you must have your mail in the U.S. checked continuously, and if INS sends you
a letter asking for fingerprints, or setting an appointment for the interview and
examination, you must be prepared to come right back to the U.S.

>
    >

You should not leave until you have filed the N-400. After that you can probably be
away for almost year, with the understanding that you may have to get back
immediately for fingerprints or an interview.

>

Well, the telephone and the mail work from Europe. Not that the phone is ever much
use anyway.

>

Yes, a little risk, I think.

>

Hire a good immigration attorney before you file the N-400, file the N-400 with a
G-28 (notice as representative) for your attorney, have him or her communicate with
the INS when necessary, and notify you of what you have to do.