Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:23 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

There's an interesting discussion going on in the US Immigration & Visa Forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729509

It concerns question 37 on the N-400 application form.
"37 - If the law requires it, are you willing to bear arms on behalf of the United States ?"

Well if you are naturalized it pretty certain that you answered Yes to that question.

If it came to the crunch - would you bear arms???

If we got a crackpot President who decided to have a spat with the UK. would you point a gun at a British solider?

Or is this just too hypothetical to even consider?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

I'm too old to get called up but against a British soldier probably not. But if things between the two places were that bad, I'd have probably gone home, that or we'd all be stuck in camps like the Japanese were in WWII
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:55 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

It's extremely unlikely but would I take up arms against the UK? I honestly don't know. It would depend on the reason.

Let me expand the question to a more realistic scenario. Would you spy for one country on the other?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Then again, I probably wouldn't fight for the Brits either
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

What's up, the US having a go at the North Sea oil now

And no, I wouldn't.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Would you spy for one country on the other?
If the price is right, yes but I won't tell you for which one against which one
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:18 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

To say you would fight for any country against any other country, based only on physical geography or name is a nonsense. It would all come down to the reasons. They would not want me anyway (too old for one thing) and I find it hard to imagine a scenario that I would consider morally justified.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:20 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm too old to get called up but against a British soldier probably not. But if things between the two places were that bad, I'd have probably gone home, that or we'd all be stuck in camps like the Japanese were in WWII
Your use of the word home, meaning the UK, says it all.

We had to "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty" but did we all really mean it?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:25 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by g1ant

We had to "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty" but did we all really mean it?
I didn't, and I don't care what anyone thinks.

At any rate, I'm with our Cascadian friend above. The only way you'd ever get me to join any military organisation is during an extended period of peace time allowing me to learn to fly in the air force so I can leave and become a commercial jet pilot in the real (civilised) world. Aside from that it's all BS brainwashing in the interest of stealing other countries' resources under the lame guise of 'human rights'.

**** 'em all.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant

Who had their fingers crossed behind their back when saying the pledge. I'm too old to be taking up arms, but DS is still in the running. I would ask him to go and find a cave to hide out in until the governments had come to their senses. (That would be a long time)
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
..... I'm with our Cascadian friend ......
Oh yes, I'd take up arms in the great revolutionary war for a free and independent Cascadia, but that goes without saying. The reach of the Arab spring might still be felt in the PNW!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Oh yes, I'd take up arms in the great revolutionary war for a free and independent Cascadia, but that goes without saying. The reach of the Arab spring might still be felt in the PNW!
Do you have oil up there? Just be careful because if you do, and you successfully secede - you may get a knock on the door from Uncle Sam quite soon . . .
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:41 pm
He/him

Do you have oil up there? Just be careful because if you do, and you successfully secede - you may get a knock on the door from Uncle Sam quite soon . . .
First amendment to the constitution of Cascadia will be:
The official and only sanctioned mode of transport will be fixed gear bikes
(not saying there are a lot of hipsters with fixies up here or anything)
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:43 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
First amendment to the constitution of Cascadia will be:
The official and only sanctioned mode of transport will be fixed gear bikes
(not saying there are a lot of hipsters with fixies up here or anything)
No mountain bikes or racers then? Don't you need to oil the chains though
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:46 pm
He/him

..... Don't you need to oil the chains though .....
A bike that works? that's just so....main stream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.