Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Ah, yes, The Chav ...
Now those rioting dickheads in the UK on the other hand....I would gladly take up arms against them!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Naturalized US Citizen... would you fight in the US military against the UK?

I know this is over simplified but I've always thought:

If you were in a pub and 2 guys were arguing which then escalated to them pulling out guns and taking it outside; if one guy turned to you and said

"Look I know this has nothing to do with you, you didn't start this argument, don't agree with it, know it's pointless, you wont benefit from it, it may actually end up costing you money and me and this other bloke will probably be friends in a few years and both be arguing with another guy- that being said I don't really want to risk getting hurt so would you mind going outside and shooting it out with him, Oh actually he's got a guy to stand in for him too so we'll just sit in here and have a beer while you two try and kill each other on our behalfs".

If you can answer yes then have at it , me personally I'm not really in to fighting other peoples battles..

Last edited by Englishman43; Sep 1st 2011 at 9:12 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I know this is over simplified but I've always thought:

If you were in a pub and 2 guys were arguing which then escalated to them pulling out guns and taking it outside; if one guy turned to you and said

"Look I know this has nothing to do with you, you didn't start this argument, don't agree with it, know it's pointless, you wont benefit from it, it may actually end up costing you money and me and this other bloke will probably be friends in a few years and both be arguing with another guy- that being said I don't really want to risk getting hurt so would you mind going outside and shooting it out with him, Oh actually he's got a guy to stand in for him too so we'll just sit in here and have a beer while you two try and kill each other on our behalfs".

If you can answer yes then have at it , me personally I'm not really in to fighting other peoples battles..
Spectacularly well put
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Spectacularly well put
I would add that they're not just asking you to take it outside, but get a train to Inverness and fight it out there, because it's vital to your security in the pub.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:47 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I would add that they're not just asking you to take it outside, but get a train to Inverness and fight it out there, because it's vital to your security in the pub.
That's handy for access to the North Sea as well

But yes, the further away you go, the better the protection for said pub. Stand to reason doesn't it
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Now those rioting dickheads in the UK on the other hand....I would gladly take up arms against them!
And there would exist a huge number of true, decent Britons here in the UK who would be happy to stand aside and let you get on with just that - big time - and furthermore, they would be happy to supply you with those arms if by any chance they could get their hands on them in the first place.

In my opinion, however much we Brits slag off the Americans for whatever reason, and most probably vice versa as well over there on the other side of the water, the most unlikely two countries in the entire world to ever enter an armed combat against each other would be the UK and the USA.

I think there are a fair number of Brits who would not be all that over the moon to top a Yank on a battlefield anyway - I wonder if many Americans would feel the same way about a military requirement to do the same to a Brit? Who knows - it's all hypothetical anyway, but I reckon when push comes to shove anything can happen, as been proved throughout human history.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Its more likely that another civil war would require you to fight other Americans.
The last civil war in the US resulted in 620,000 casualties.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

Why would this even be a question...NATO precludes any US/UK sabre rattling
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Historically, a similar thing happened when the first world war began. It's not as though the Germans already living in England evaporated:

http://www.progenealogists.com/germansengland.htm
And what's more bizarre, the policy was sexist in that only English wives were deported along with their German husbands. English husbands with German wives escaped such banishment, although they were subject to discrimination. DH Lawrence and his wife, for example, were forced to leave Cornwall for London after she was accused of spying.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
Its more likely that another civil war would require you to fight other Americans.
The last civil war in the US resulted in 620,000 casualties.
FWIW, it was approximately 620,000 deaths. There were more who were severely wounded.