naturalized US citizen w/o papers

Old Feb 26th 2001, 12:00 am
Vanthinguyen

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they had any problems with proving their US
citizenship. I am a naturalized citizen, and I have a valid US passport, which INS says
may be acceptable right (?). Anyway, my parents are completely against the relationship,
not to mention the marriage. They hold all my documents: the certificate, my alien
registration card and number, and I do not dare ask them for it. Does anyone know just how
difficult this will prove for me without these documents?

Any info and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, van--

Old Feb 26th 2001, 1:45 am
Rete

If you are a naturalized US Citizen you don't need your alien registration card. You have
your passport and you should contact INS and have them send you a duplicate copy of your
naturalization papers.

As for our parents, it is difficult to go against their wishes and bear in mind that they
only want the best for you in life. If you are still living with them and you want to go
through with this marriage that they oppose, then it is better for you to remove yourself
from their "guardianship" and start a life without them. For to go against their wishes,
at least in some cultures, is to alienate yourself for life from them.

Best wishes

Rita

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they had any problems with proving their US
> citizenship. I am a naturalized citizen, and I have a valid US passport, which INS says
> may be acceptable right (?). Anyway, my parents
are
> completely against the relationship, not to mention the marriage. They
hold
> all my documents: the certificate, my alien registration card and number,
and I
> do not dare ask them for it. Does anyone know just how difficult this
will
> prove for me without these documents?
>
> Any info and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, van--

Old Feb 26th 2001, 3:02 am
Qtsood

Ahem. Your parents are holding documents that belong to you and you do not dare ask them
for the documents? I think you'd better not get married because you are still a child.

Anyway, what if the INS asks you for supporting documents during your file probe? INS will
tell you the exact documents that you'd need to send to them.

Good luck.

Old Feb 26th 2001, 9:54 am
Alvena Ferreira

Vanthinguyen wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they had any problems with proving their US
> citizenship. I am a naturalized citizen, and I have a valid US passport, which INS says
> may be acceptable right (?). Anyway, my parents are completely against the relationship,
> not to mention the marriage. They hold all my documents: the certificate, my alien
> registration card and number, and I do not dare ask them for it. Does anyone know just
> how difficult this will prove for me without these documents?
>
If you insist on proceeding with the marriage, you will alienate your parents, and you
should be prepared for that eventuality. Make a choice: your fiance or your parents,
because that is the way it is going to be.

that being said, your US passport serves to prove your citizenship, however you NEED to
have the naturalization papers...have an attorney ask them for these if you want them,
since your marriage will kill the parental relationshp anyway, will it not?

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Feb 26th 2001, 1:41 pm
Michael Nguyen

Qtsood wrote:
>
> Ahem. Your parents are holding documents that belong to you and you do not dare ask them
> for the documents? I think you'd better not get married because you are still a child.

I think you'd better not be judgemental. It shows me how small minded you are.

> Anyway, what if the INS asks you for supporting documents during your file probe? INS
> will tell you the exact documents that you'd need to send to them. Good luck.

Good luck to you too.

Old Mar 1st 2001, 11:52 pm
Michael Voight

Since you have the passport, you should be able to obtain copies of any other needed
documents. Apply for replacement copies of your Naturalization papers.

Michael

Old Mar 4th 2001, 7:31 pm
Rete

I am 27 yo, but are we not always children to our
    >
    >
    >
So true. You will one day see that as clearly as parents of older children do (although
you seem to realize part of it now).

Not being judgmental, but think carefully about the woman you will marry and your family.
Love between two people can be wonderful but it is marred when that love separates one of
the two emotionally from their family. Think of the children you will one day have and
think of what it will be like not to paternal grandparents for that child and their
maternal grandparents living in another country.

Love should not hurt or cause pain. However, sometimes one has to forego family for a
spouse. It is a difficult choice. Wishing you strength in making it.

Rita