Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalization time after application....

Naturalization time after application....

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice
Default Naturalization time after application....

Hi folks,

I will be eligible for naturalization on July 1st of this year. I've been living in the US for 7 years, married to USC for almost 3 now and living in Houston. No crim records or anything that would raise flags.

How long can I expect to wait before getting citizenshiper? I've read the wait after I apply can be 6 months to 2 years.

Has anyone got any recent experience?

Thanks!

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization time after application....

It depends on the backlog at your local office. My husband just went through his citizenship process here in Phoenix, Arizona. Five months from start to finish.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

My timeline in PHX was pretty much the same but I added a month by rescheduling the oath.
The lady sitting behind me at the oath had taken 2 years.

There is no answer to your question as it depends on personal circumstance.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Filed mine 11/5/08 and had the oath ceremony on 2/20/09. As you can see, quite a wide range of time lines so it's impossible to give you an accurate answer.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Hey, thanks for all the answers folks.

Duncan, sounds like yours went really quick, about 3 months!

Norri, when you say it depends on personal circumstance can you be a bit more specific with what you mean by that pls?

Such a drag...waiting...I want to hurry up and apply to Nasa.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robousy
Hey, thanks for all the answers folks.

Duncan, sounds like yours went really quick, about 3 months!

Norri, when you say it depends on personal circumstance can you be a bit more specific with what you mean by that pls?

Such a drag...waiting...I want to hurry up and apply to Nasa.
Yes I can.

You may be unfortunate enough to get trapped in name check hell in which case your application may take several years.

Your file may get "lost" in which case case it will never be processed unless you take action to jog the system.

You may fly through with no problems.

You know that you can apply 90 days ahead of actually being eligible don't you?
That is the only cast iron way of getting ahead of the system.

Bon Chance!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norri
Yes I can.

You may be unfortunate enough to get trapped in name check hell in which case your application may take several years.

Your file may get "lost" in which case case it will never be processed unless you take action to jog the system.

You may fly through with no problems.

You know that you can apply 90 days ahead of actually being eligible don't you?
That is the only cast iron way of getting ahead of the system.

Bon Chance!
Ok - thanks for some more details. Appreciated!

Yes, the July 1st day will be 90 days ahead of being eligible.

Well, I have a pretty unique name so hopefully it won't get caught in name check hell!!

Thanks again.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd recommend not applying exactly on July 1st wait a few days for safety.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norri
I'd recommend not applying exactly on July 1st wait a few days for safety.
Ok - thanks for the tip. I'll wait a few days to avoid any possible problems with filing too early.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You've been living in the US for 7 years and married for 3.

What visa got you into the country?

How long have you had permanent residency?

Just being married to a USC for nearly 3 years doesn't mean you are qualified. Also required is the length of your residency, good conduct, length of time out of the US, etc.

Hi folks,

I will be eligible for naturalization on July 1st of this year. I've been living in the US for 7 years, married to USC for almost 3 now and living in Houston. No crim records or anything that would raise flags.

How long can I expect to wait before getting citizenshiper? I've read the wait after I apply can be 6 months to 2 years.

Has anyone got any recent experience?

Thanks!

Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

I was here under a student visa working on Ph.D

I've had my permanent residency for 2 years and 6 months.

No issues with police or driving violations so good conduct. Less than 2 weeks out of US since permanent residency.

Yes, I understand just being married to USC for 3 years doesn't immediately qualify me. I've based my 3 years since the time I received my green card.

Was just interested in hearing other peoples experience from the time of filing to the time of obtaining citizenship.

Originally Posted by Rete
You've been living in the US for 7 years and married for 3.

What visa got you into the country?

How long have you had permanent residency?

Just being married to a USC for nearly 3 years doesn't mean you are qualified. Also required is the length of your residency, good conduct, length of time out of the US, etc.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I understand just being married to USC for 3 years doesn't immediately qualify me. I've based my 3 years since the time I received my green card.
In your first post, you said married *almost* 3 years. Make sure you are married a FULL 3 years before you file the N-400 (make sure it's past your 3rd wedding anniversary).

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was here under a student visa working on Ph.D

I've had my permanent residency for 2 years and 6 months.

No issues with police or driving violations so good conduct. Less than 2 weeks out of US since permanent residency.

Was just interested in hearing other peoples experience from the time of filing to the time of obtaining citizenship.
Did you file for residency before your 26th birthday? If so, you needed to register with selective service. Have you?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In your first post, you said married *almost* 3 years. Make sure you are married a FULL 3 years before you file the N-400 (make sure it's past your 3rd wedding anniversary).

Rene
You can file 90 days before the deadline.

http://www.immigration.com/faq/uscitizen.html#182

Answer 6.

But thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Did you file for residency before your 26th birthday? If so, you needed to register with selective service. Have you?
Fortunately not. I was 29.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.