Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalization Interview - Selective Service

Naturalization Interview - Selective Service

Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naturalization Interview - Selective Service

I did not enter the US at any point before my 26th birthday.
So I did not have to register for selective service.

For my interview, how do I satisfy the IO that I did not have to register.
Do they check my passport to make sure I did not enter the US before my 26th birthday?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization Interview - Selective Service

Originally Posted by mickmills

Do they check my passport to make sure I did not enter the US before my 26th birthday?

Thanks.
Presuming you entered legally, they have a record of when you arrived.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I came her on a K-1 in 2002.

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Hi:

If you are 31 or over now, it is not an issue. [Shorten that to age 29 if you are using the 3-year period based upon marriage].
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks.

Just wanted to double check I did not need anything from selective service, stating I was not required to register etc.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Just wanted to double check I did not need anything from selective service, stating I was not required to register etc.
My hubby was in the same boat. He entered when he was 29. But since he wanted to get Financial Aid to get a degree, he had to show proof that he didn't have to register. We requested a letter from SS to this effect, and went ahead an included with the N400..just in case it came into question.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Will contact SS to get the same letter.
You can never have to much evidence when it comes to USCIS!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Will contact SS to get the same letter.
You can never have to much evidence when it comes to USCIS!
I personally think you are probably going a bit too far - tons (probably most, in fact) of people have gotten their citizenships without such a letter. There's nothing to say you have to prove this - why should you? Besides, the age you entered the US is recorded on the tons of documents you have been shuffling back and forth with USCIS over the last few years. They'd certainly know if you should have signed up but didn't.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 10th 2008 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dan725
I personally think you are probably going a bit too far - tons (probably most, in fact) of people have gotten their citizenships without such a letter. There's nothing to say you have to prove this - why should you? Besides, the age you entered the US is recorded on the tons of documents you have been shuffling back and forth with USCIS over the last few years. They'd certainly know if you should have signed up but didn't.
You are probably right, but you are also thinking logically.
From some of my past experiences, logic does not come into play with USCIS!

I would rather go to the trouble of getting the letter & never needing it, as opposed to having any delays.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:16 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also over 31 (been married to a USC for over 7 years / held GC since Dec '01) and had a question on the N400 application (Question 33).
Exactly what reason do I give for not registering with SS and will a statement from me need to be notarized?
I did a search to see if I was registered (just in case) and I was not.

Cheers
HD

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; Jan 22nd 2008 at 5:11 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I'm also over 31 (been married to a USC for over 7 years / held GC since Dec '01) and had a question on the N400 application (Question 33).
Exactly what reason do I give for not registering with SS and will a statement from me need to be notarized?
I did a search to see if I was registered (just in case) and I was not.

Cheers
HD
If you entered the USA as a resident after the age of 26, the proof is simply in your bithdate. As I said earlier, I can't understand this thread. The reason you give for not registering (if asked) - is that you were not required to as directed by Federal Law.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 22nd 2008 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

From my own experience I can tell you this much, if you're eligable to register for Selective Service when you apply I-485, they will automatically register you. In I-485, I think you have OK it to apply. So, I think you should go to SSS.gov and put you SS# to see if they auto registered you or not. When I told this to one of my friend and he checked, and he did not even know they registered him. He was shocked.

Look at the section 4 area of I-485