Naturalization interview!

Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization interview!

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Congratulations!

Are you also planning on going to your local Social Security office to get a new card? One that doesn't say "Valid For Work Only With INS Authorization" on it?
For others who might be reading this and don't realize it, but once they have a green card, they can go to the social security office and have the legend removed. You don't have to wait for naturalization to do so.

It is important to go to the social security office, however, and advise them of your new citizenship for your records.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Yes we were told to go to the SS office and tell them we're now citizens. We were told to give it 10 days, I can't remember why... not urgent for me anyway.

My registration to vote is in the mail.

Planning on taking photos for passport application today!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:42 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
For others who might be reading this and don't realize it, but once they have a green card, they can go to the social security office and have the legend removed. You don't have to wait for naturalization to do so.

It is important to go to the social security office, however, and advise them of your new citizenship for your records.
Thanks Rete!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and it's also important to do so for any children who may have acquired US citizenship through the naturalization of a parent. The Dept of Education uses the same database to verify citizenship status for student federal loan applications. When my oldest daughter was first applying, she indicated that she was a US citizen on the application form. She got a letter back saying her US citizenship could not be verified with the SSA. I had completely overlooked this step so we all took our US passports into the local SSA office and had them update their records. Subsequent student loan applications for her and our other children went smoothly after that.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:26 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I had my Interview in late June, case was approved on July 4th and I'm still waiting to hear when my Oath Ceremony will be

Officer retained my last 3 years tax returns.
Didn't ask for any passport-sized photos.
I was done in about 10 minutes.
Was scheduled for Indianapolis (110 miles away) on Sept 26th, so wrote back and asked to be scheduled in my hometown.
Now have a place in the local Ceremony on Friday Oct 13th

The form requests that I "...dress in proper attire to respect the dignity of this event." Planning on wearing my kilt, so hope that's ok.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Was scheduled for Indianapolis (110 miles away) on Sept 26th, so wrote back and asked to be scheduled in my hometown.

The form requests that I "...dress in proper attire to respect the dignity of this event." Planning on wearing my kilt, so hope that's ok.
I’m sure that’ll be fine. Not so many people at my ceremony last week seemed to have got the memo; I felt a tad overdresssed in a suit and a tie. I did naturalize at the US Southern District Courthouse in Manhattan though with well over a hundred others, so they probably DGAF as much as they might at a smaller ceremony at a local courthouse.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Just be sure to get a photo with the judge in your kilt.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

"Planning on wearing my kilt, so hope that's ok. "

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I’m sure that’ll be fine. Not so many people at my ceremony last week seemed to have got the memo; I felt a tad overdresssed in a suit and a tie. I did naturalize at the US Southern District Courthouse in Manhattan though with well over a hundred others, so they probably DGAF as much as they might at a smaller ceremony at a local courthouse.

Jim wore a suit and tie, as well. Many did and some did not. Was your wife able to make the ceremony? Perhaps you might want to give a separate write up of your experience for others who are using the Southern District Courthouse in Manhattan. Jim's was so long ago and was written up but can't be arsed to fine it on here

BTW Congratulations. If I see you at Silver Tips one day, will treat you to a cuppa and a scone.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Jim wore a suit and tie, as well. Many did and some did not. Was your wife able to make the ceremony? Perhaps you might want to give a separate write up of your experience for others who are using the Southern District Courthouse in Manhattan. Jim's was so long ago and was written up but can't be arsed to fine it on here

BTW Congratulations. If I see you at Silver Tips one day, will treat you to a cuppa and a scone.
Thanks! She did make it, but all electronics had to be checked in so she didn't get to take pics or anything. Oh yes, Silver Tips - we haven't been there in ages!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by rpjs
Thanks! She did make it, but all electronics had to be checked in so she didn't get to take pics or anything. Oh yes, Silver Tips - we haven't been there in ages!
Me, either. Next visit to Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow will be in January. A great time for a cup of tea and finger sandwiches and scones. Heard there is a great new Italian restaurant that opened on Beekman. Daughter raved about it.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me, either. Next visit to Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow will be in January. A great time for a cup of tea and finger sandwiches and scones. Heard there is a great new Italian restaurant that opened on Beekman. Daughter raved about it.
I think that would be Red Zebra where Finalmente used to be. We haven't been there yet but have heard good things too. Our preferred restaurant in TT/SH is The Twisted Oak on Main St.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:31 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

Originally Posted by jkeller
"Planning on wearing my kilt, so hope that's ok. "

Pics or it didn't happen.
Happy to oblige

Old Oct 15th 2017, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Hoosier

Congrats!
Old Oct 15th 2017, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome congratulations!!