Wikiposts

naturalization interview

Old May 28th 2001, 10:03 am
mixed-up

I have some questions regarding the naturalization interview.

What would I have to bring with me for the interview? I seem to remember to read
somewhere that I would have to bring 5 years of income tax returns. What would be the
reaction of the interviewer when he/she finds out that 3 of the 5 years were filed
late? Late like 4 years late for the oldest one?

Would there be any negative response by me not working. My tax returns are only for
interest income and the amount of taxable income is below the poverty level. Will
there be questions asked like “what do you live on�? I am not on welfare and I
never was.

How about not residing in a dwelling for almost 2 years. I traveled the US with a
friend and his travel trailer. My stuff is in storage, my mail goes to Mail Boxes
etc., my credit card was used very little and my bank account was not very active. My
monthly interest checks I received “general delivery� somewhere along the way and I
cashed them somewhere along the road.

And to make things more complicated, a few years ago I married a foreigner in a
foreign country. We didn’t file any immigration papers for him and don’t plan on
doing so for another few years. I visit him 2 times a year in his country and he
visits me 2 times a year over here.

Do you think that the combination of all the items I mention may be a bit too
difficult for an INS interviewer to understand and I might be better off to wait a
few years? Maybe I should mention that I am a green card holder since many years and
not only the - for naturalization required - 5 years. Also, I paid taxes and lived a
“normal� life for many years until I stopped doing so.

Can you please help make a decision if I should or shouldn’t file for naturalization
at this time? Thank you.

Old May 29th 2001, 1:36 am
Ed MacNeil

Hi,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

I think you are worrying far too much about far to little.

INS will send you a letter informing you af the time and place of your interview.
This letter will also indicate the things they expect you to bring. Usually you will
need photo ID such as your passport and I-551 (green card) to identify yourself. If
photocopies of documents have been submitted as attachments to form I-485 it is
usually a good idea to bring originals as the INS officer conducting the interview
may wish to see them.

There is no minimum income requirement for naturalization and you are not required
to have a fixed address, although INS will need some way to get letters of
appointment to you.

Once you are naturalized you can petition for your foreign spouse as an immediate
relative. Since these relatives are admitted without regard to their numbers the only
delay in his admission will be the processing time at the Service Center and at the
overseas consulate that will issue his visa. For more on the US preference system see
the Visa Bulletin at <http://travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html>.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 31st 2001, 12:15 pm
Sanj

I am scheduled to appear for an oath ceremony soon. The letter I received asked me to
bring "any Immigration documents you have". What does that include? Does it include
my existing (foreign) passport? I have heard from someone that when they were
naturalized, the INS punched a hole through their Canadian passport making it
invalid. That is suprising given that the US (sort of) allows dual citizenship.

Old May 31st 2001, 3:02 pm
Helen Rose

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I was sworn in as a US Citizen in April. The only Immigration document I was asked
for was my I-551 ("green card"). I suspect if you also had a re-entry permit or items
of that ilk, they would want to see them.

I did not take either of my non-US passports with me to the ceremony. But even those
who did, their passports were not punched or confiscated. After all, passports are
the property of the issuing country.

--Helen