Naturalization Initial Interview

Old Jan 16th 2002, 12:03 pm
Whitejul

I have received a letter from INS to appear for an interview on my application for
naturalization, the letter states that I will be tested on my knowledge of the
government and history of the United States, and also on reading, writing, and
speaking English.

I wonder what is coming after this initial interview and how far away or closer I am
of getting my citizenship.

Thanks for any feedback

July

Old Jan 16th 2002, 1:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is your interview and test for naturalization. It is not an initial interview ... it is THE interview.

The guide to naturalization put out by the INS clearly states what will happen during this interview and if you "pass" you will be scheduled for a swearing in ceremony.

If you don't have the guide onhand you can d/l it from the INS website. Hope you know your US civics.

Rete
Old Jan 16th 2002, 2:01 pm
Whitejul

Thanks for the posting. I need to emphasize that the letter I have received says:
"Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview", and I was
also asking myself what would happen if "I pass" this INITIAL interview.

The INS site states that sometimes the Oath of allegiance ceremony could take place
in the same "Naturalization Interview" session, so if this "initial interview" is THE
real Interview, would it be possible that I could take the oath the same day?

Anybody?

Thanks

July

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Jachos is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mind telling me what city are you in
and which Service Center did you file with. Also,
I would like to know your timeline for the
process; when did you file, when did you
fingerprint etc.
Old Jan 16th 2002, 5:06 pm
Whitejul

Submitted Application on January 2001 at Laguna Niguel Figerprinted on December 10,
2001 at the Phoenix, Arizona Interview for March 11, 2002 at Phoenix, AZ

Any thoughts about how long will I have to wait to get my Citizenship after passing
the interview?

Thanks

July

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Jachos is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know about your area but from what
I have heard in general, the oath ceremony is
usually 4-6 weeks after the interview.
Old Jan 16th 2002, 9:30 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

WhiteJul wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It's possible, depending on your INS district. It will probably be hard to find out
without calling an immigration attorney in your area; INS district offices are rarely
accessible by phone.

In most big cities, the swearing-in ceremony is scheduled several weeks after the
interview. Often several thousand people are sworn in at once.

One advantage of the later swearing in time is that you may pick up your
naturalization certificate after the ceremony. If swearing in occurs the same day as
your interview, you'll have to wait until later to get your naturalization
certificate.

>
[usenetquote2]>>This is your interview and test for naturalization. It is not an initial interview[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>... it is THE interview.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>The guide to naturalization put out by the INS clearly states what will happen[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>during this interview and if you "pass" you will be scheduled for a swearing in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>ceremony.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>If you don't have the guide onhand you can d/l it from the INS website. Hope you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>know your US civics.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 17th 2002, 3:37 pm
Ranjini

That among other reasons. Here is a list I found on the web: Good reasons to become a
U.S. citizen 1 - You can vote. 2 - Certain government jobs require it. 3 - You can
sponsor additional relatives for immigration to the U.S. 4 - You can't be deported if
convicted of certain criminal offenses. 5 - You can spend as much time out of the
U.S. as you want without worrying about abandoning your Permanent Residence status. 6
- You can receive more than $100,000 per year in gifts from your U.S. Citizen spouse
without being subject to the gift tax. 7 - You can inherit your U.S. Citizen spouse's
estate without being subject to the estate tax (which start at 18% of the value of
the estate for the first $10,000 in assets, and go up to 60%) 8 - You will relieve
the support obligation of the person who sponsored your I-864 Affidavit of Support. 9
- A U.S. passport permits easier, visa-free travel to many developed countries in the
world, compared to passports from developing nations. 10 - You can become eligible
for certain public assistance programs. Good reasons NOT to become a U.S. citizen 1 -
You can leave and not be subject to U.S. taxes anymore. 2 - You can maintain your
previous country's citizenship (if dual-citizenship not permitted), thus keeping
certain rights, such as the right to property ownership, government jobs, etc... 3 -
Certain other passports better facilitate travel to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, etc... 4
- You can sue your I-864 sponsor for support and get free money. 5 - If you are from
the Philippines, sponsoring your unmarried son or daughter is about 5 years faster if
you are a Permanent Resident as opposed to a U.S. citizen.

>
    >

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Submitted Application on January 2001 at Laguna Niguel Figerprinted on December[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >10, 2001 at the Phoenix, Arizona Interview for March 11, 2002 at Phoenix, AZ[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Any thoughts about how long will I have to wait to get my Citizenship[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >passing the interview?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What exactly is it that you want to do with your US Citizenship that you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > do right now?[/usenetquote2]