Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalization Ceremony experience - Atlanta field office

Naturalization Ceremony experience - Atlanta field office

Old Feb 7th 2019, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Naturalization Ceremony experience - Atlanta field office

Hi all,

This morning I had my oath ceremony and wanted to share the experience with others who might be looking for information on how Atlanta runs the ceremony.

TOP TIP #1. Book your passport application ahead of time for later the same day.

My ceremony was scheduled for 8am. Arrived at 7:30 and went straight to the waiting area on the 2nd floor (no need to check in) and we sat near the front of the waiting area with some friends. At 8am they asked all friends and family to move to the back of the waiting room and for all citizens-to-be to move forward and fill up all the seats. They then check your form that you completed and sign it. At about 8:30 they started taking us into the ceremony room - just attendees first, family join afterwards. They start taking people from the front right so TOP TIP #2 - SIT AS CLOSE TO THE FRONT RIGHT AS YOU CAN in the waiting room as you will be able to get out sooner.

We were taken into the ceremony room row by row and checked in with a clerk in there who took our greencards and form, they gave me a number and they guide you to a seat filling up the room from the front right. There was about 125 people taking the oath so it took a little time to get them all seated. Once the attendees were seated guests were invited to come in and sit at the back of the room. Note: If you have a kid that you need to take, they can sit with you near the front.

The ceremony started about 9am I think and lasted about 30 mins - if i'm honest I was expecting it to be a little more energetic but it was fine. At the end, they guide you out starting from the front right. You give your number to one person, collect your certificate from another person and double-check to make sure it's right. You are then free to go. If you want to take pics you still have to leave the room and them come back in, TOP TIP #3 - DO NOT LEAVE. Go upstairs and register to vote. They will take an extra copy of your naturalization certificate for you if you tell the that you need it for your passport application. Because you followed top tip #2, you will be one of the first to go up to the 3rd floor to register so there will be no lines.

If you want to see what the playbook is for the ceremony, take a look here: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/H...-Chapter5.html

Once you have registered to vote go back and take pics or leave for your passport appointment.

Note - for your passport application, they will take both your original certificate and the copy. The lady doing mine took a photocopy for me but I am not sure if this is SOP or not. At the very least, take a photo of it with your phone just in case you need the certificate number. Passport will take 4 weeks or so and supporting documentation will take another week to come. You can use your SSN to check your application status once the Dept. of State has received your app.

After 10 days, you will need to go to the SS office and have your SS record updated although you will need either your passport or certificate to do this.

If you want to have the LIMITED TERM legend removed from your drivers license, you can do this at any time at a DDS office, again though - you will need either your passport or your certificate to do this.

If you're using global entry, don't forget to update your account with your new passport details.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization Ceremony experience - Atlanta field office

Excellent write up.

Congratulations!
Old Feb 7th 2019, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Excellent write up.

Congratulations!
Congratulations. You brought back memories of my ceremony, also In Atlanta. Don't forget to register to vote.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that when the OP says you will need your passport, he is talking about your US passport, not your UK passport.

Congratulations!
Old Feb 8th 2019, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
Please note that when the OP says you will need your passport, he is talking about your US passport, not your UK passport.

Congratulations!
Yes - thanks for the Clarification. Your British (or other non-US) passport is pretty much worthless in the US now.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 12:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats DH!

Still patiently waiting in line for my ATL interview (May 18 file) so hope to be following you through the process sometime later this year!
Old Feb 9th 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.
My ceremony was few weeks back, there were only 57 of us in the Tampa office, most notable moment was when the Puerto Ricans booed when Trump appeared giving his video spiel!

I submitted my passport application at the courthouse, for which no appointment was necessary, I believe you only need one if you are submitting at a Post Office.
I took in everything the forms requested and the lady dealing with me still took a photocopy of my certificate, apparently the passport office wants the copy in black and white not colour.
It took me longer to walk through the building to the passport desk in the courthouse thqn it did to get served.

Is it only some states that restrict driving license term length? I was issued with a ten year standard license when I applied in Florida, updated several times when moving and it still has no term restrictions, mind you Florida gives it licenses to anyone that can register a pulse!
Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Is it only some states that restrict driving license term length? I was issued with a ten year standard license when I applied in Florida, updated several times when moving and it still has no term restrictions, mind you Florida gives it licenses to anyone that can register a pulse!
GA issues to the expiration of your GC or 8 years, which ever is earlier. Mine is the full 8 year DL but still has the legend 'limited term driving license' on it. I have been asked when it says that during a traffic stop before - I think because previous DUI drivers have similar legends.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Tsk tsk, just 50-100 people ? Practically a bus stop’s worth . Our California events have 1000+ per event and all the personal touches of having your number called out at a McD We were frogmarched out row by row with certificates handed out like slop on a tray . Still, it was quite fun . Congratulations !
Old Feb 9th 2019, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
Tsk tsk, just 50-100 people ? Practically a bus stop’s worth . Our California events have 1000+ per event and all the personal touches of having your number called out at a McD We were frogmarched out row by row with certificates handed out like slop on a tray . Still, it was quite fun . Congratulations !
I quite liked the fact that it was the chap leading the ceremony who handed out the certificates and shook each of us by the hand. He even had enough time to ask where in the UK I hailed from and that he'd been stationed in the Cambridge/Norfolk area.
California must be handing out citizenships in the same way Florida gives out driving licences.

The only difference between my licence and the wife's is that mine has the motorcycle entitlement and 'safe driver' endorsement ( because passing the nationally recognized motorcycle course, which has safe driving and hazard awareness elements, is considered a plus - technically it entitles me to cheaper insurance rates!!)
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Useful write-up - thanks.