Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalisation Interview on Tuesday - Ahhh!

Naturalisation Interview on Tuesday - Ahhh!

Old Apr 25th 2021, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naturalisation Interview on Tuesday - Ahhh!

I have my interview on Tuesday and have been reviewing my docs, the civics test etc.

I've realised I’ve made a couple of errors on my N-400 and was thinking of calling the USCIS as I’m getting a little nervous:

1) Part 6 - Neither of my parents have ever been US citizens but I answered Q1 Were your parents married before I your 18th birthday as yes but then following up that my mother and father are not US citizens in the later questions. This could imply they were citizens at some time.

2) Part 9 - Section asks for trips outside US in 5 years. I added one in slightly earlier than the 5 year requirement period but put 0 days outside US but that I was in the U.K. Clearly an error but the vacation is beyond the 5 year requirement so not sure it will really matter.

3) Part 10 - My marital status is divorced but I’m living with my partner.

Q3 - This could be a biggie as I put “1” for the number of times I’ve been married. But it’s 2. So I screwed up there. I have the divorce papers for both of the marriages. Not sure whether to point this out which could trip me up or ignore as the first divorce was in the U.K. in 1996.

Q5 - For some reason, again I think I must be just dumb/nervous, I checked this box as my partner (we are not married) is a US citizen. Then I followed up checking 6A but then didn’t complete any more questions in the section. Like Q8 although she has never been married. I’m not sure if this oversight would be deemed as important but again it could throw doubt/questions into the proceedings.

It should be noted that since filing my N-400 in November 2020 the USCIS have not got back to me on the 2 items above that appear to be simple errors/oversights/inconsistencies.

So that’s it. Those are my errors.

More than go into the detail has anyone had similar experience of having the odd error or 2 on their N-400, having to then explain them at the interview etc? Should I worry more than I currently am?

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by freerskier; Apr 25th 2021 at 7:49 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 8:03 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalisation Interview on Tuesday - Ahhh!

Originally Posted by freerskier
I have my interview on Tuesday and have been reviewing my docs, the civics test etc.

I've realised I’ve made a couple of errors on my N-400 and was thinking of calling the USCIS as I’m getting a little nervous:

1) Part 6 - Neither of my parents have ever been US citizens but I answered Q1 Were your parents married before I your 18th birthday as yes but then following up that my mother and father are not US citizens in the later questions. This could imply they were citizens at some time.

2) Part 9 - Section asks for trips outside US in 5 years. I added one in slightly earlier than the 5 year requirement period but put 0 days outside US but that I was in the U.K. Clearly an error but the vacation is beyond the 5 year requirement so not sure it will really matter.

3) Part 10 - My marital status is divorced but I’m living with my partner.

Q3 - This could be a biggie as I put “1” for the number of times I’ve been married. But it’s 2. So I screwed up there. I have the divorce papers for both of the marriages. Not sure whether to point this out which could trip me up or ignore as the first divorce was in the U.K. in 1996.

Q5 - For some reason, again I think I must be just dumb/nervous, I checked this box as my partner (we are not married) is a US citizen. Then I followed up checking 6A but then didn’t complete any more questions in the section. Like Q8 although she has never been married. I’m not sure if this oversight would be deemed as important but again it could throw doubt/questions into the proceedings.

It should be noted that since filing my N-400 in November 2020 the USCIS have not got back to me on the 2 items above that appear to be simple errors/oversights/inconsistencies.

So that’s it. Those are my errors.

More than go into the detail has anyone had similar experience of having the odd error or 2 on their N-400, having to then explain them at the interview etc? Should I worry more than I currently am?

Thanks for your support.
Correct everything at your interview and take all evidence you have to back it up. Now you have publicly posted about the misrepresentation on your form, it proves you know about it, so that is willful. I had some fields that had not carried through from the online form and also the officer wanted to change the current nationality on my form to that of my birth vs. the one asked for (last passport renewal), he made the updates and had me sign to confirm on an iPad.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...rt-l-chapter-2

1. Concealment of Material Fact or Willful Misrepresentation

A person is subject to revocation of naturalization if there is deliberate deceit on the part of the person in misrepresenting or failing to disclose a material fact or facts on his or her naturalization application and subsequent examination.

In general, a person is subject to revocation of naturalization on this basis if:
  • The naturalized U.S. citizen misrepresented or concealed some fact;
  • The misrepresentation or concealment was willful;
  • The misrepresented or concealed fact or facts were material; and
  • The naturalized U.S. citizen procured citizenship as a result of the misrepresentation or concealment. [4]

Old Apr 25th 2021, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much.

So essentially I would point out that
1) I messed up the section regarding my parents
2) added the extra vacation in error
3) have actually been married twice and provide divorce docs that I have
4) state that I’m not married to my “spouse” so filled that section in wrong.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freerskier
Thanks so much.

So essentially I would point out that YES
1) I messed up the section regarding my parents YES
2) added the extra vacation in error YES
3) have actually been married twice and provide divorce docs that I have YES
4) state that I’m not married to my “spouse” so filled that section in wrong. YES
Hint: Don't complete forms on the fly or when intoxicated LOL. You'll be fine. They might think you are ditzy but you're good to go.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 12:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. That is a significant number of errors for a relatively simple form.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that you be more careful and precise when talking at the interview. You say a "couple" of errors, then list 5.

Do not attempt to call USCIS. Straighten it all out at the interview which, in my experience, was largely a run through of the documents.

We are all assuming that you have applied on the basis of being a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years. If it is on the basis of marriage to a US citizen then you do have problems.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 3:22 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I suggest that you be more careful and precise when talking at the interview. You say a "couple" of errors, then list 5.

Do not attempt to call USCIS. Straighten it all out at the interview which, in my experience, was largely a run through of the documents.

We are all assuming that you have applied on the basis of being a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years. If it is on the basis of marriage to a US citizen then you do have problems.
looking at some earlier posts by the OP makes me think this is going to be like walking in a minefield blind folded with snow shoes on...
Old Apr 26th 2021, 3:38 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be useful to fill out a fresh copy of the N-400 with all the correct information, print it out twice and highlight all the differences on ONE copy? Take both new, correct, copies with you to the interview. This would ensure that at the interview you do not forget to give the full and correct information to the interviewing officer.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rete - and believe it or not I was sober filling it in, just didn't check it thoroughly enough.

Last edited by freerskier; Apr 26th 2021 at 5:06 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi MidAtlantic - Yes on the 5 year as an LPR basis.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

The question is whether any of those errors are 'material'. A 'material' error is one that could reasonable effect the outcome of the application. I am sure there is a significant body of case law on what constitutes 'material' just from my google searching the term. Clearly some of the errors aren't material - whether you have been divorced once or twice is highly unlikely to be considered material as I doubt whether being divorced twice instead of once would reasonably affect the outcome of the application. Personally I would not fill out a new N-400 as they may treat that as a new application and start the process again.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 4:33 pm
tht

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
The question is whether any of those errors are 'material'. A 'material' error is one that could reasonable effect the outcome of the application. I am sure there is a significant body of case law on what constitutes 'material' just from my google searching the term. Clearly some of the errors aren't material - whether you have been divorced once or twice is highly unlikely to be considered material as I doubt whether being divorced twice instead of once would reasonably affect the outcome of the application. Personally I would not fill out a new N-400 as they may treat that as a new application and start the process again.
So your advice is for the OP to perjure himself when he signs the form again at the interview?

The below is from the form, it even mentions corrections....

“I swear (affirm) and certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that I know that the contents of this Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, subscribed by me, including corrections number 1 through ____________, are complete, true, and correct. The evidence submitted by me on numbered pages 1 through ________________ are complete, true, and correct.
NOTE: Do not complete Parts 16., 17., or 18. until the USCIS Officer instructs you to do so at the interview.
Subscribed to and sworn to (affirmed) before me”
Old Apr 27th 2021, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
So your advice is for the OP to perjure himself when he signs the form again at the interview?
Nope.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
Thanks for the re-assurance - I agree, but what do I know, as the errors aren't material unless my mess up in the parents and spouse sections throw a curve ball, especially if they checked and (as would be expected) came up with nothing. I'll know in a couple of hours.

Last edited by freerskier; Apr 27th 2021 at 6:41 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Question 1, Part 6 is appallingly worded. You wouldn't be the first one to get confused or misread it, and since you made it clear that neither of your parents are U.S. citizens it will be fine. Easy to say I know, and hard to do, but relax, it will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.