Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Name change in SF, CA, is it preferred to do before N-400? New rules?

Name change in SF, CA, is it preferred to do before N-400? New rules?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about
Default Name change in SF, CA, is it preferred to do before N-400? New rules?

I read someone's post on Kamya that name change procedure in San Francisco has been changed, they dont do that during the naturalization interview anymore; that you have to go through local court house. Is it advisable to do the name change procedure before applying for Naturalization? (instead of waiting for the interview, and then going to the court house with the naturalization certificate, and then after the name change to get a new naturalization certificate?)
Please, advise what do you guys think is the best,
thanks
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Name change in SF, CA, is it preferred to do before N-400? New rules?

I went through naturalization last year. I didn't get my name changed as part of that process, but at the naturalization ceremony I was aware of Many people who did that as part of their process. I believe it is still available. It doesn't happen "at the interview".
At the federal courthouse where the ceremony took place, those who had elected to change their name as part of the naturalizion procedure received their naturalization certificates with their new name on, and that is when the name change takes place.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Name change in SF, CA, is it preferred to do before N-400? New rules?

Thank you,
Where did you have your naturalization ceremony, if you dont mind me asking?
I read at some websites that in San Francisco and some other certain locations that rule doesnt apply anymore, but I just can't find any info on if it is better to change your name before the N-400 interview...http://www.kamya.com/interview/
Anyone, plz?
Originally Posted by farmerwife
I went through naturalization last year. I didn't get my name changed as part of that process, but at the naturalization ceremony I was aware of Many people who did that as part of their process. I believe it is still available. It doesn't happen "at the interview".
At the federal courthouse where the ceremony took place, those who had elected to change their name as part of the naturalizion procedure received their naturalization certificates with their new name on, and that is when the name change takes place.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bantik2005
I read at some websites that in San Francisco and some other certain locations that rule doesnt apply anymore...
Why don't you just call them and find out? If you have already submitted the N-400 and did not ask for a name change, then you'll need to get it done *before* your interview so that the guy can make the changes at the interview. Either way, you will *not* get a new naturalization certificate. It'll be issued in whatever name was used during the oath ceremony.

Ian
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall anyone stating that SF will not do a name change at the naturalization ceremony. When you complete the N-400 you were suppose to give notice that you wanted to change your name and then they will follow up with you at the interview/testing date. The certificate will bear the new name.

However, if you were to change your name through a court of law and not through the immigration/naturalization process, I don't know the length of time it would take to become final and how cumbersome it will be to change your paperwith with USCIS to reflect the new name you've chosen.

Also, please remember the Kamya site at one time was great to have. But it has not been updated in years since new posters either do not know about it or just haven't posted their results. So I would not place much reliance on it being up-to-date.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

I looked at the Kamya web site; it seems that the posts to which OP is referring are 2004 based; so not "new rules" anyway.
Kamya also has a big Disclaimer at the top stating that it's all just people's opinions etc. - could be misguided ones?
Suggest OP contact Service Center with jurisdiction for N-400 for his location.
My naturalization was PDX, OR. But I do note that people requesting name change with their nat. process had to wait for the Federal Courthouse Oath Ceremony, and not the more quickly available administrative one in the USCIS building the next day.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually a long long time ago (10 years almost now) when this forum alt.visa.us.marriage-based was formed on the Usenet, the Kamya site was set up as a collection of experiences of posters to the forum. They are not opinions but actual experiences but as I mentioned it is outdated now and the regulations have changed much from the old days. It is a share that the resource has deteriorated but people still have the option of searching the forum for recent updated experiences.

Rete
(Someone who was there when it started)