Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400, what to include in the package? Share

N400, what to include in the package? Share

Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:38 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400, what to include in the package? Share

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes it is required. They are included in the checklist. You are right that you don't need them for mailing but you do need them to prove good moral character at the time of the interview.

What the hell is the big deal about providing a copy of them before the interview.

Geezus people, get real.

No Rete you dont need them at all.......
only if applying based on marriage to a US citizen or if you were out of the country for more than 6 months..

Last edited by candy wy.; Apr 30th 2010 at 3:40 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also need to include your selective service registration and/or the letter from them stating you are not required to register (if you are a male that is between the ages of 18 and 26)
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is required. They are included in the checklist. You are right that you don't need them for mailing but you do need them to prove good moral character at the time of the interview.

What the hell is the big deal about providing a copy of them before the interview.

Geezus people, get real.
OK I'll call your bluff. Which checklist and where in it, does it state you need tax returns/transcripts for a 5 year Naturalization application.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
OK I'll call your bluff. Which checklist and where in it, does it state you need tax returns/transcripts for a 5 year Naturalization application.

M-477 at the www.uscis.gov site

It tells you to bring a letter from the IRS if you have ever failed to file taxes while you were a LPR and if you filed and owe taxes you must send a copy of the repayment plan/agreement with the IRS.

By being a logical person you can see that these tax returns/transcripts are required to prove that you have complied with the above.

Also the checklist you get in the mail also tells you to bring these to the interview.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Doesn't she also need to send copies of her tax returns, as stated in the Guide? <shrug> Maybe things have changed. Do tax returns go to the interview now?

Ian
Comment: I see nothing in the N-400 instructions nor document checklist that REQUIRES submission of tax returns.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 30th 2010 at 4:08 pm. Reason: Edit out language from the Redundancy Department of Redundacy
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:51 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Comment: I see nothing in the N-400 instructions nor document checklist. There is nothing in either place that REQUIRES submission of tax returns.

Thank you..
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

M-477 at the www.uscis.gov site

It tells you to bring a letter from the IRS if you have ever failed to file taxes while you were a LPR and if you filed and owe taxes you must send a copy of the repayment plan/agreement with the IRS.

By being a logical person you can see that these tax returns/transcripts are required to prove that you have complied with the above.

Also the checklist you get in the mail also tells you to bring these to the interview.
So with that logic I also have to bring proof that I was never in the US military, I have never been arrested, I have never been detained, I don't have a dependant spouse or child, I have never been placed on a rehabilitive program etc... How do I do that?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Comment: by way of logic and past experience, the statement on the N-400 and the sworn confirmation in the interview will meet the requirement. That said, the documents can be corroboration of the sworn statements.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Zonie
So with that logic I also have to bring proof that I was never in the US military, I have never been arrested, I have never been detained, I don't have a dependant spouse or child, I have never been placed on a rehabilitive program etc... How do I do that?
Be nice. Immigration Examiners are known to forget the little principle that the actual returns are but corroboration. A useful exercise might be to compare the instructions of the I-864 and the N-400.

Comment: The instructions have the force of law. The Guide does not.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have all my tax documents from 5 yrs and as far as I can see by reading it all over again it is not required, but as I have them so they will go with me regardless, along with the optional 2 other passport size photos.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I have all my tax documents from 5 yrs and as far as I can see by reading it all over again it is not required, but as I have them so they will go with me regardless, along with the optional 2 other passport size photos.
General Pointer: The CIS examiner will have their own internal check list form. Most often, they give the file a cursory glance before they call an applicant in. The interviewer will then go down the form marking it up with a red pen, often asking for relevant documents at the appropriate time. The interview goes a lot smoother when one hands over the documents to the Examiner rather than making her thumb through the file, and move contents.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Be nice. Immigration Examiners are known to forget the little principle that the actual returns are but corroboration. A useful exercise might be to compare the instructions of the I-864 and the N-400.

Comment: The instructions have the force of law. The Guide does not.
I try. As a peon I appreciate your inputs to the forum.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:34 pm
Longtime Lurker

scotta will become famous soon enoughscotta will become famous soon enough

Having just been to a naturalization interview on Tuesday and reading everything I could beforehand I can confirm that based on 5 year green card tax returns are not asked for.(In the guide or the instructions for filling out the N-400.)

The doc's I sent were the N-400, 2 photo's, copy of green card and a check. I received a yellow notice asking me to bring additional documents to the interview: State Drivers license or Identification card.
The interview notice requested that I bring my passport.

I took them, tax transcripts, with and broke the cardinal rule and offered them to the interviewer without being asked. She politely said "No thanks".

As far a selective service I got my Green Card at 28 so I simply left that section blank and it did not come up.

The only additional documents the interviewer looked at, other than those I sent in were my passport. I brought both an expired and current one and she thumbed through both looking at stamps.

Scott