N400: Trips outside the US

Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

icantthink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N400: Trips outside the US

All,

I am in the process of filling out my N400 and I have a question on trips outside the US.

Two years ago we took a seven-day cruise to Anchorage, Alaska from Vancouver. So we landed in Vancouver on Monday and boarded the vessel the same day. At the port our passports were stamped by the US border/immigration agents.

Does this trip count as a seven day trip, or less than 24 hour trip?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400: Trips outside the US

Originally Posted by icantthink
All,

I am in the process of filling out my N400 and I have a question on trips outside the US.

Two years ago we took a seven-day cruise to Anchorage, Alaska from Vancouver. So we landed in Vancouver on Monday and boarded the vessel the same day. At the port our passports were stamped by the US border/immigration agents.

Does this trip count as a seven day trip, or less than 24 hour trip?
It's a question of how many days you spent outside the US. Was this a round trip?

If the first day of the seven day cruise was spent in Vancouver, IMHO, you spent time outside the US until you reached Anchorage and you count the days after you left Alaska as time spent outside the US.

However, I may be mistaken because I have not been on any cruises myself and more knowledgeable people or those who've been on cruises outside the US may have comments.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

icantthink is an unknown quantity at this point

The first day was in Vancouver, and then we were on the ship for the next few days. There were stops all along the Alaskan coast, so I suppose that could count as being in the US.

So it seems to be one trip of less than 24 hours....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:21 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by icantthink
The first day was in Vancouver, and then we were on the ship for the next few days. There were stops all along the Alaskan coast, so I suppose that could count as being in the US.

So it seems to be one trip of less than 24 hours....
Search in this forum for threads/posts that explain definition of a day by USIC terms. I vaguely recall there being a link to a USCIS page...