N400 Timeline Atlanta

Old Aug 2nd 2018, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Timeline Atlanta

Originally Posted by civilservant
I was reading an article last week (I don't have the link or would share) that stated that the number of N400 applications being overseen by ATL had gone from 10,000 to 19,000 pending since Trump took office and that this wasn't an isolated case, some had more than doubled.
From the 2018 CIS Ombudsman report, it appears that ELIS, the "new" USCIS internal system for handling applications (which has been in the works since 2006 but had to be comletely revamped in 2016) had significant glitches in the N-400 platform. The report goes on to say many of these had been improved in late 2017.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

The greater scrutiny - real or alleged - at the N400 point probably deterred some people from applying after the initial post election rush, for fear of past concerns being exposed. During my interview, there were several others' ELIS files stacked on the shelves and floor nearby. They were thick, ranging from 2-4" . It's not unreasonable to thing at least a few of them might have aspects that require discretional latitude on the part of the inspecting officer to clear. Mine was relatively puny, barely an inch thick, and my case history was simple - grad school, a well known company as EB sponsor, and then done. And it got done as quickly as I hoped it would.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

During my interview, there were several others' ELIS files stacked on the shelves and floor nearby. They were thick, ranging from 2-4" It's not unreasonable to thing at least a few of them might have aspects that require discretional latitude on the part of the inspecting officer to clear.
That could just as easily be explained by more evidence having been submitted, or then having to do an additional strep to you (for example, adjusting status from K1) - it's a leap to assume that they were 'problem caes'
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
there were several others' ELIS files stacked on the shelves and floor nearby.
And there is the issue - ELIS was supposed to have been fully electronic but because of glitches they are still sending paper files around.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

That could just as easily be explained by more evidence having been submitted, or then having to do an additional strep to you (for example, adjusting status from K1) - it's a leap to assume that they were 'problem caes'
Yes of course, but that doesn't contradict my (simplistic) presumption here; more stuff = more scope for something being amiss in stuff. The nature of the current climate doesn't need 'problem cases' as such. A lot of simple omission or prior administrative latitude seems to cause people to worry, for real or imagined reasons.

I don't know to what extent ELIS computerization of the N400 process currently runs. She didn't have the N400 application itself in paper form - that was all online. But all my older evidence, e.g. F1, H1 and 485 paperwork was in the not-particularly-thick file folder .
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Vidt is an unknown quantity at this point

So, while getting my tax returns from the IRS, I noticed I overlooked something. In 2007 and 2008, my husband a d I were dependata on my inlays tax returns. In 2009, we filed married filing jointly (very little income and o can't remember why we filed but we did). In 2010, our joint income togther was around $7000, well below the threshold for filing taxes, and therefore we didn't file either federal or state taxes that year. 2011 onwards, thankfully we have had proper jobs and have been filing married filing jointly every year.

So, on the form n400, the answer will be yes to have I ever not filed taxes, and then I will just explain the 2007 and 2008, had then explain the earnings below threshold and thats why taxes were not filed. In the document checklist, I have to provide correspondence from the IRS for failure to file. Can I just provide a letter that states that the house hold income was such and such in 2009, and that 2007 and 2008 we were claimed by in laws? And maybe reiterate that no taxes are overdue.

gosh I'm so sick of this form already.

Thank you as always
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

This post should be deleted as it was posted in the wrong thread and now moved to the right thread.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

OK I had my interview in the ATL office. Everyone there was courteous and one or two of the staff actually smiled at me. No different than the DMV. The interviewing officer was very friendly, asked me about my job, address, marital status, asked the yes and no questions. I was not asked for my tax returns. (I was applying under the 5 year rule so my marriage was not an issue). Last I was asked the six civics questions, all of which I answered literally as listed in the Guide (What was the main concern of the US during the Cold War? -"Communism" is all I had to say). I then reviewed the info as would appear on my certificate (the officer had pre-printed this, clearly my case seemed like an easy one!)
Oath ceremony was scheduled for 25 days later. Good luck to all ATL applicants,
Old Aug 15th 2018, 12:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats again J. Just out of idle curiosity, where is your oath ceremony going to be?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Congrats again J. Just out of idle curiosity, where is your oath ceremony going to be?
At the field office.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jxv73
OK I had my interview in the ATL office. Everyone there was courteous and one or two of the staff actually smiled at me. No different than the DMV. The interviewing officer was very friendly, asked me about my job, address, marital status, asked the yes and no questions. I was not asked for my tax returns. (I was applying under the 5 year rule so my marriage was not an issue). Last I was asked the six civics questions, all of which I answered literally as listed in the Guide (What was the main concern of the US during the Cold War? -"Communism" is all I had to say). I then reviewed the info as would appear on my certificate (the officer had pre-printed this, clearly my case seemed like an easy one!)
Oath ceremony was scheduled for 25 days later. Good luck to all ATL applicants,
congrats! Ha did your timeline look like?
Old Sep 1st 2018, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I applied in late October 2017, had my fingerprints in November, then waited.... In July 2018 I got an update that my interview was scheduled. I was able to see the interview letter using the myaccount website before it arrived, scheduled for August. Went for the interview and told I was recommended for approval. Received notification on myaccount for Oath Ceremony for September. The actual letter seems to have been lost in the mail but the USCIS officer said I could print out the PDF version (he also offered to fax a copy). Waiting for the ceremony next week.

Last edited by jxv73; Sep 1st 2018 at 12:23 am. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 10th 2018, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jxv73
I applied in late October 2017, had my fingerprints in November, then waited.... In July 2018 I got an update that my interview was scheduled. I was able to see the interview letter using the myaccount website before it arrived, scheduled for August. Went for the interview and told I was recommended for approval. Received notification on myaccount for Oath Ceremony for September. The actual letter seems to have been lost in the mail but the USCIS officer said I could print out the PDF version (he also offered to fax a copy). Waiting for the ceremony next week.
Just to update, my ceremony letter never arrived in the mail, but the PDF printout was accepted without issues. There were >150 new citizens at my ceremony. I'm now a US citizen!
Old Sep 10th 2018, 7:34 pm
Often not so civil...

CONGRATS!!!