N400 tax documents

Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:56 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold
Default N400 tax documents

OK time to fill out my N400, have all my court records and all my evidence of still being married and living with the wife.

Now the tax trascipts will take 2 weeks to arrive so can I just send a photocopy of my original 1040's?.......... and if so can I just send the first page showing married filing jointly or do I have so send the other pages too?

Just trying to save on postage and photocopying costs to be honest!

Thanks in advance for any reply's.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N400 tax documents

Originally Posted by Terrier
OK time to fill out my N400, have all my court records and all my evidence of still being married and living with the wife.

Now the tax trascipts will take 2 weeks to arrive so can I just send a photocopy of my original 1040's?.......... and if so can I just send the first page showing married filing jointly or do I have so send the other pages too?

Just trying to save on postage and photocopying costs to be honest!

Thanks in advance for any reply's.
Hi:

You don't need the tax returns to file the N-400.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:59 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You don't need the tax returns to file the N-400.
In the guide I downloaded from the INS site it claims you do?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

We sent in photocopies of our tax documents from the last 3 years. We copied every page. If they looked at them or not, I don't know.

Copies are, what, ten cents a piece?

This isn't the thing to get skimpy on. Skip a cup of coffee this week or don't get the appetizer when you go out to eat this weekend.

Trust me, this is one of the most important things in your life. Don't worry about the nickels and dimes.

Best of luck to you!

)
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The Guide Book also says to file with the IRS tax returns. The IRS transcripts will not take 10 days to receive. Bet you a beer that you will receive them within 5 days of having placed the call to the automated number requesting them. Wait until you have them in your hands and mail the N-400 then. A few days isn't a make or break issue.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

I just looked at the instructions for the form and at the regulations. I saw nothing suggesting that you needed to file the tax returns with the form. BTW, the ONLY thing necessary to actually FILE the form is the completed N-400, photos and $400. A prior version of the form required a photocopy of the I-551 and I still do that.

The instructions require copies of criminal records -- but in practice, you need to produce ORIGINAL certified copies at time of interview [or original letter from court clerk certifying records no longer exist -- common for petty offenses].

I have NEVER been requested to produce tax returns. The only mention of tax returns on the N-400 is a question on whether one failed to file required tax returns. In my experience, the applicant's word is accepted on this.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not doubting you but that was not our experience and not the experience of many others. Tax returns were asked for at the time of the interview and kept. To not have filed means one is not considered of good moral character.

For me, I would rather see someone send them, then not send them.

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I just looked at the instructions for the form and at the regulations. I saw nothing suggesting that you needed to file the tax returns with the form. BTW, the ONLY thing necessary to actually FILE the form is the completed N-400, photos and $400. A prior version of the form required a photocopy of the I-551 and I still do that.

The instructions require copies of criminal records -- but in practice, you need to produce ORIGINAL certified copies at time of interview [or original letter from court clerk certifying records no longer exist -- common for petty offenses].

I have NEVER been requested to produce tax returns. The only mention of tax returns on the N-400 is a question on whether one failed to file required tax returns. In my experience, the applicant's word is accepted on this.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Not doubting you but that was not our experience and not the experience of many others. Tax returns were asked for at the time of the interview and kept. To not have filed means one is not considered of good moral character.

I agree, after all I never see anyone posting on here that there application was returned because they sent "stuff" that was'nt asked for, only if they did'nt send "stuff" that was asked for!

I will wait for the transcripts and send the lot off then!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete

Rete:

I agree that not filing a required tax return is considered bad moral character. There is a specific question on the form for that and it is orally repeated at the interview. However, what I did say was that in my experience, an applicant need not produce a copy of the tax return. In that way, it is quite different from applying for a home loan or college financial aid for the kids -- where they do not take your word on it.