Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

the N400 speeding-ticket-as-arrest issue

the N400 speeding-ticket-as-arrest issue

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the N400 speeding-ticket-as-arrest issue

Originally Posted by tonrob
Never really paid much attention to these threads before (5 years can seem like such a long time) but Mrs tonrob and I have 5 of these between us and can apply for citizenship next year. Of course we kept nothing either....
Time for a trip to the clerk of the court before they destroy the records -- they don't keep the minor stuff for long.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Time for a trip to the clerk of the court before they destroy the records -- they don't keep the minor stuff for long.
In 4 different states, too!

If the records get destroyed and it was only speeding then what would be the consequence of not filling them in on the form? (Haven't seen the form or even begun to look into the process, I'll add).
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

If the records get destroyed and it was only speeding then what would be the consequence of not filling them in on the form? (Haven't seen the form or even begun to look into the process, I'll add).
I think you should have a nosey at the N400 application so you know what to prepare yourself for
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Google is your friend. You may find your records on line and be able to print them out. In AZ it is possible http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

That's a question I find myself asking now... apparently honesty is not always the besy policy. Somewhere in the archives of a small Oregon city there might be some evidence that I once received a speeding citation, but it's long gone from any normal computer system AFAIK.

Last edited by wordfool; Feb 23rd 2010 at 3:40 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zonie
Google is your friend. You may find your records on line and be able to print them out. In AZ it is possible http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/
I'm not sure a speeding ticket would actually make it to court archives, let alone supreme court archives. I'm planning to call some local police departments to see if they might be able to help.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
That's a question I find myself asking now... apparently honesty is not always the besy policy. Somewhere in the court archives of a small Oregon city there might be some evidence that I once received a speeding citation, but it's long gone from any normal computer system AFAIK.
The N400 specificaly asks if you have ever had a citation.

This is taken from the USCIS publication "A Guide to Naturalization". The last sentence is pretty interesting.

Lying. If you do not tell the truth during
your interview, USCIS will deny your
application for lacking good moral character.
If USCIS grants you naturalization and you
are later found to have lied during your
interview, your citizenship may be taken
away.

I'm not sure a speeding ticket would actually make it to court archives, let alone supreme court archives. I'm planning to call some local police departments to see if they might be able to help.
My traffic camera citation is in court archives, I can look it up on the link I posted above. "case dismissed, no fine, attended traffic school"

Last edited by Zonie; Feb 23rd 2010 at 4:07 pm. Reason: clarity
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I think you should have a nosey at the N400 application so you know what to prepare yourself for
Jesus - 22a is going to be a problem...
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - 22a is going to be a problem...
Have you ever been an habitual drinker!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:56 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Have you ever been an habitual drinker!
<puts beer down>

Can I plead the 5th?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's a question I find myself asking now... apparently honesty is not always the besy policy. Somewhere in the archives of a small Oregon city there might be some evidence that I once received a speeding citation, but it's long gone from any normal computer system AFAIK.
Do you know which city? If you were pulled on the freeway, I wonder if it wasn't the state police instead of a local cop?
Of course, it could have been a county sheriff, too.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A citation does not have to involve an arrest, as everyone who gets pulled over by a cop, given a ticket, and sent on their way, can attest.
I find the logic of this statement puzzling. Personally, I would say that anyone who has been arrested for speeding can attest that they have been arrested for speeding. I disagree with you that such a person can also attest that it is possible to get that speeding ticket without being pulled over by that cop.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I find the logic of this statement puzzling. Personally, I would say that anyone who has been arrested for speeding can attest that they have been arrested for speeding. I disagree with you that such a person can also attest that it is possible to get that speeding ticket without being pulled over by that cop.
Doesn't a police officer have to inform you that you have been arrested either at the time of the arrest or at some point later? If no such statement is made then can you assume you have not been arrested ?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
Doesn't a police officer have to inform you that you have been arrested either at the time of the arrest or at some point later? If no such statement is made then can you assume you have not been arrested ?
Precisely, that is the point I am making. If a person is pulled over by the law enforcement officer, and then given a citation, and then allowed to leave upon signing the citation -- that is an arrest.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
If a person is pulled over by the law enforcement officer, and then given a citation, and then allowed to leave upon signing the citation -- that is an arrest.
Isn't that more of a "detainment" than an arrest? I always thought an arrest brought with it a mandatory recitation of your Miranda rights. I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.